Wee Nam Kee Hainanese Chicken Rice Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Marina Bay
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Hainanese Chicken Rice has been my and few of my friends favourites. The aroma and the smooth texture of chicken was a mouthwatering experience. A must visit for the Chicken Rice fans!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

There is always this impending fear in Singapore that our favorite comfort foods would degenerate in quality and value as the older generation hand over the reins .
I can say categorically that chicken rice ala Wee Nam Kee is not one of them .
Although it is certainly not a place that I would bring my clients in suits, I have had cheery meals with good friends and new acquaintances to Singapore and with my relatives .
Often, we will takeaway half or one chicken , with many packets of rice and have a finger licking feast at home. They do not give soup, but next time, I will try to remember to bring a container and ask sweetly - then I can put in shredded cabbage to recreate the nostalgic Chicken rice experience as per my corner coffee shop when I was growing up in Katong .
Though very busy, the servers are sweet once you get to know them, a crooked smile, and always obliging . Highly recommended anytime

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Hainanese chicken rice is one of my favourite things to eat and I have not found anywhere in my home town that does it as well as they do in Singapore. When we arrived in Singapore we headed for the Maxwell Street Hawkers Centre to have some Chicken Rice at Tian Tian. To our horror it was closed for renovations. Some quick research in the Makansutra Guide however established that this place was worth a try. Indeed it was. For a start it was restaurant where we could sit out side and be served as opposed to negotiating the long queues at Tian Tian. We had some of the best chicken rice we have ever eaten with some lovely green vegetable and lime juice all for the princely sum of $19 Sing dollars. A great new discovery - highly recommended.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Wee Nam Kee is almost always busy, and for good reason, their Chicken Rice is fantastic. I used to live down the road and whenever I had visitors in town this was where I'd take them for their first Singapore meal. They'd almost always want to go back before the end of their trip.

The chicken is always moist and succulent. The service is no frills, grab a seat where you can, have a beat up menu left of your table and try to decipher the menu. The place is usually packed, so the staff doesn't have a lot of time to answer questions. It's easiest to just say that you want Chicken Rice for the amount of people at the table. Then it's a choice of the roasted or boiled, and if you want the chicken breast. For westerners, it's best to start with the roasted version.

They also have good vegetables, there is a mixed vegetables with oyster sauce that goes well with the chicken.

I'd also recommend their lime juice, helps with the burn when you dip the chicken in too much chili sauce.

It's also best to sit outside, as the inside can get really hot and really loud. Don't let the fact that you're roadside and near a bus stop fool you. Once you get the food you won't notice the cars anymore.

1  Thank lindarg
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Wee nam kee is known for the chicken rice but i love their cereal prawn more than the chicken rice.. Its hard to describe the taste.. Its the aroma , sweet n garlic, taste that made it unique.. A must try dish. Their chicken is very tender ofcourse and you need to match it with the three sauces - perfect! But this is outdoor so you need to withstand the noontime heat. And this is usually packed so go early.

1  Thank Eunice T