“again, you get what you pay for :), basic hotel with reasonable price”
Review of Mayo Inn

Mayo Inn
Ranked #182 of 315 Hotels in Singapore
Jakarta
“again, you get what you pay for :), basic hotel with reasonable price”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Booked Mayo Inn because it filled our budget.
Do not expect more, if you want cheap room, just book those dormitory style backpackers' hostel with shared bathroom. Pay more for Mayo Inn, and get more privacy and own bathroom.
Have to book prior if you want a family plus room (1 double , 2singles, very comfy for family of 4).
No breakfast, but lots of food around.

Location : for me, it's just ok, lots of eatery around, Indians (behind the Inn, they are scattered everywhere), my favorite is Albert Centre/Complex, just walk around 3-5mins, supermarket is just 2 mins walk. Cheers is just across the Inn. Walk another 2mins , you can find 7-11 for light snacks behind the Inn.
Bugis Junction's MRT can be reach for 10 mins walk, but I love the surrounding of the route to get there, food (lots of food!), small stores, temples, short cut from Bugis + to MRT (if want to avoid heat)
Bus stop just a minute away. Also Little India's MRT can be reach for 10 mins walk.
Sim Lim Square and Sim Lim tower are basicly couple minutes walk.
Minus point : MRT constructions near the Inn, but didn't bother us at all, except they made the Inn can't operate their elevator (probably that's why they gave us $10 discount for all rooms).

Staffs : great staff, Miss Ana, Miss Yani, thanks for all the help you gave us :). Very helpfull and nice personallity. Very fast to reply our emails.

Rooms : we booked Deluxe and Standard room. If you a light sleeper, better ask in prior to have room NOT facing streets and max locate on level 2, quite tiring if you come back from circling the city and take stairs to our rooms on level 3.

All basic needs are provided : 2bottles of mineral water everyday, packs Teas & coffee, kettle, shampoo, soap, clean towels (altough on the first day, 1 towel has its threat thininng).
Beds & pillows: ok, blanket : not big enough for 2 adult.
Bathroom : ok, very clean. Most important.
Enough space to store luggages.
AC is super cold. Free wi-fi !
Minus point : IMHO, Floor is better off just ceramic floor, carpet looks like cheap carpet and makes the room gloomy.
Yes, they do have windows, but we can't see through them, they just coloured glass, and for safety reasons they can't be opened.

No need for late check out if you have late/afternoon flight, just ask the staff to keep your luggages.
If you only need clean room, and just for sleeping and shower, Mayo Inn is good enough.

I'll be back, especially if the MRT construction finish, might be more handy to catch train.

Room Tip: book in advance, very full Inn,
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bella_sigar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Indonesian first
Byron Bay, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Two couples - took a family room. $140aud pn.

Good Points: Very clean. Good bathroom. Beds ok. Tea/coffee facilities. Lovely staff.

Bad Points : Room was super small. Was on the 2nd floor - elevator not working (but were warned by hotel when we booked so knew what to expect). Located on very, very noisy street and there is no soundproofing at all. Construction happening all around the hotel including on the hotel itself. Windows don't open at all. Bathroom/shower floor extremely slippery - like walking on wet glass, need to be super careful!

Tho the staff are absolutely lovely and very helpful, and the position of the hotel is excellent - very close to Little India, Arab St, Bencoolen St - basically walking distance to downtown Singapore, we probably would not stay here again due to the noise factor....so very noisy.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the rear of the hotel. Street rooms are noisy!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kezzaloveslife
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights over the Easter weekend and found the hotel adequately met our needs. We had a small room on the ground floor with no windows. This meant that the elevator being out of action didn't affect us (I believe the elevator is "out of order" due to the construction work in the area). The room had a reasonably comfy bed, adequate storage space for our belongs and free wifi was provided. However I disliked the setup of the bathroom.The shower was just a shower-head coming out of the wall with a small drain below and no shower curtain. This meant that the water went everywhere in the bathroom whenever you had a shower. The bathroom appears to be setup for wheelchair access, which is obviously nice of the hotel to provide, but I have seen wheelchair friendly bathrooms with a better setup than this one.

The location of the hotel is quite handy. Bugis and Little India MRT stations are both within walking distance (less than 10mins), which gives you access to the whole city. There are also many restaurants nearby with Little India providing plenty of options. However there is a lot of construction being undertaken in this area due to the building of the new MRT line. While it wasn't disruptive to our stay in the hotel, it didn't make it the nicest area in Singapore to stay.

In summary, we found Mayo Inn to be a good budget option to stay in Singapore. While they offer a cheap price, the rooms are basic and quite small. If you are after a room to crash each night and you will spend the majority of your days exploring Singapore, then this hotel may be suitable. However if you plan on spending any amount of time in the hotel, a more expensive hotel that can offer you more services may be a better option.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BenKrumeich
Noida, India
Reviewed April 3, 2013

i have stayed at this hotel a few times in the years 2011 and back then the hotel was new clean and even the service was decent.This time around the staff at the front desk was very stubborn inspite of me infroming them well in advance they didn't provide us with early check in so we had to go roam around in the heat as we arrived early monday morning and not much was open and we didn't even wish to go out as we had a long night and we were tired.After 6 hours of galavanting we finally came back to the hotel to check in only to discover that i wasn't given the room that i was promised i had asked for a triple room which i was told was available at the time of booking but at the time of check inn they gave me a double room with an extra bed and charged me for a triple room and forced me to believe that it was an upgraded room it was cramped there was not much space to walk around there was only one key card there where ants all over the place even in the bed and we even got bitten by them the bathroom jet was leaking and lastly the lift was out of service since god know many months even thought i would say they informed me about the same but they never told us that we will have to drag our own luggage up a flight of service stairs our self was is horrible for someone who is not travelling light and they didn't even offer to help .Before checking out i requested them to allow me to check out a little late which normally if not a problem with hotels if they not fully booked and are informed in advance but the old women at the reception was just so annoying like a bloody robot refused to listen and just kept repeating the same thing over and over again.Was over all a very annoying/irritating experience will defiantly not be retuning here every again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cat2904
MayoInn, Manager at Mayo Inn, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
My apologies to cat2904 for her recent experience at our Inn. The elderly chinese receptionist she mentioned does not speak English or understand the language very well. As such she was not able to explain that early check-in and late check-out is subject to availability.
Normally we would have changed the room because of the ants but there were no more rooms that day as the Inn has been running at full capacity recently.
The lift is a working lift but has been shutdown by the authorities for safety reasons. We have been working with the lift company to comply with all the safety requirements and hope to have the lift running in May.
Once again I apologize for the inconvenience
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights during the Easter weekend. I did a lot of research on budget hotels in Singapore prior to our trip and we both chose this hotel based on the good reviews it has received, value for money and proximity to the MRT. We were supposed to stay at room 301 which is the deluxe room and also one of the popular rooms but the hotel mixed up our bookings. After some email exchanges, they agreed to give us the Roof Top Terrace room 402 for the same rate.

As we arrived late night on a weekday, we missed the MRT services to the city which ends at 11.30 pm. We ended up taking a taxi whose driver was not familiar with the hotel although we did eventually find our hotel. Some tips to travellers would be that the hotel is actually located on Mayo Street and it is opposite Hotel 81 Rochor and that Sim Lim Tower is also just across the street from the hotel.

On our first night there, some kind of insect or maybe a bed bug bit me. I was also bitten on the 3rd night and had a few more bites on my last night there. I am not sure if my skin is just too sensitive to hotel rooms because this has never happened to me before. My husband did not experience any insect bites. I would have given this hotel only 2 stars due to the bites but that would seem rather unfair because the hotel was actually a very good place to stay for the price paid.

The both of us slept very well at night (other than the first and last night) as the bed and pillows were comfortable, there was hardly any noise outside (since we were away from Jalan Besar) and the bathroom was very spacious. TV channels were limited but we still managed to catch some good TV programmes at night.

The hotel was situated at a very good location as it was only 8 minutes walk to Bugis MRT. Moving around in Singapore was easy since Bugis MRT was quite centrally located. Food was not a problem as there were ample eateries around - a Chinese shop 2 minutes walk, a Kopitiam 5-6 minutes walk and a McDonalds 8 minutes walk from the hotel. A 24-hour convenience store was only a few metres away from the hotel. As the construction for the MRT Downtown Line 2 was on-going outside the hotel main road, some inconvenience with regards to moving around the area was to be expected but nothing too extreme.

As most reviewers here are already aware, the lift is not working due to safety concerns. We had to climb 4 flights of stairs to get to our room but really cannot complain as we welcome the exercise since a lot of walking is needed in Singapore to catch the MRT or the bus.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again if I can obtain the rate of SGD120 per night but perhaps I would choose to stay in room 301.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VicAl76
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Mayo Inn was a delightful place to stay. I booked a Japanese style Deluxe Room for one week. My room was located in the ground floor. It was very convenient for me as I went out a lot during my stay. It was quiet, spacious and very comfortable. I love how the room was set up. It was simplistically beautiful.

Before booking, I read all the reviews in Tripadvisor. There are some things which I found to be true and some which are not (or at least I didn't experience). I think I am very lucky that my room had a "window" (it was actually covered by a wooden jalousie) which was good enough to let the sunshine in and let me see if its raining. As I've mentioned, it was also very quiet. None of the roaring traffic noise described here. The sounds from the Mosque were also unnoticeable.

Unfortunately, I had some issues with the cleanliness. I had my room cleaned every day. However, I think they don't vacuum the carpet though or sweep the bed area. The wi-fi wasn't working well either but there was a LAN cable that was long enough to reach my bed. I also wished they could have had somebody to help me with my luggage though. I struggled bringing 3 big luggage inside and outside my room. But aside from these, everything was swell.

I had a water heater, glasses, tea and coffee, bottles of water (2 bottles everyday) and a nice flat TV (it only had 5 channels but if you bring an HD cable and a laptop, you can 'em and watch movies). The AC was great too. Bear in mind that it will take 10-15 minutes before the AC blows off cold air.

I also had a fridge, a well-lit desk, and big cupboards. I wished the room was well-lit as the desk though. It was a little dark for me in the evening because my room, except the washroom, only had yellow lights.

It's well located. I was able to walk everywhere I wanted. Bugis was a 15-minute walk while Mustafa Center was a 20-minute walk. The hotel has no restaurant unfortunately. There's just a convenience store across.

But all in all, it was a great hotel. A little pricey (SGD 100+) but worth it. I enjoyed staying in Mayo Inn. I'll go back if I get the same room again. :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Boston
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Booked 10 nights here based on the positive reviews, and was quite disappointed. Singapore is very expensive, but for $90USD per night I expected much more.

Overall: expected modern and clean, got a well worn Ikea outfitted dorm room.

Pros
-Location: 10 minute walk to two different metro stations, Little India has some interesting food options.
-Free Wifi

Cons
-Room: No window!! Made the small room claustrophobic. (Thankfully, able to move eventually)

-Cleanliness: large stains on the room carpet, graffiti on the desk stool.

We didn't spend much time in the room as there is so much to do in Singapore, but did wish we had more comfortable accommodation to return to.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank rtwsarah