“Loved the food and Great service at Isetan Scotts outlet”
Review of Tonkichi

Tonkichi
Ranked #1,926 of 10,611 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
“Loved the food and Great service at Isetan Scotts outlet”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

It was my first time at the Isetan Scotts outlet and it has been a while since I last visited Tonkichi outlet at Suntec. It was busy as it was the 3rd Wednesday of the month so there is 25% off for Pokkacard members (and 10% off I think for the public).

There are plenty of choices in terms of sets and combinations for pork katsu, chicken katsu and seafood katsu. There are also specials such as katsu with mentaiko (would probably try that next time), katsu curries and heathlier choices such as the ladies set (pork katsu stuffed with asparagus) and pork shabu shabu.

I fancied the sesame and ponzu dips so ordered the shabu shabu set, which comes with an appetizer, chawamushi, miso soup, rice and fruits. The portions were just right and I really enjoyed the food. The rest of the party had a chicken and prawn katsu set, pork katsu set and a grilled fish set. The katsu sets comes with free flow of shredded cabbage (which tasted great with their special sauce and sesame seeds which you can grind in the little mortar bowl provided).

The service staff was great, and regularly came by the table to top up the hot green tea.

I can't comment much on the price as this was my friend's treat but the prices on the menu looked reasonable and with the 25% discount, it was even better.

I certainly would want to return again, with or without the discount.

• Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Tonkatsu heaven”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Grateful to live in Singapore and even happier to find a good meal at a decent price.

I have been a regular patron of Tonkichi and usually patronize the outlets at Isetan Scotts and Takashimaya. The quality of the meat and seafood is consistently good, the service is prompt and professional. You get a pretty balanced meal in each set, you can have prawn with meat (chicken / pork katsu) and loads of crunchy vegetable with a yummy salad sauce. Rice, fruits and Hot Tea. And if you care to top up, change the soup to the radish pork based soup Tonjiru. They also have curry, noodle, 2 kids' meal and healthy options.

Few restaurants keep the quality and freshness of the food consistent over years and years and I feel so gratified each time I have a good decent Tonkatsu meal at Tonkichi.

I frequent Japan, the standard at Tonkichi is on par with Japan and may even exceed given the relatively spaciousness of the restaurant.

Totally worth it.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank BrigL618
“My choice for tonkatsu”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I believe I've found my favorite place for tonkatsu! I visited the Isetan Scotts location. At first it looked pricey but dishes were big enough to share. In regards to the ambience though nothing really to write home about.

• Visited November 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“A great alternative to the typical Japanese food”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

One the off putting points prior to deciding to come to this restaurant was the fact that it's located within the Takashimaya Shopping Mall on Orchard Rd. I expected overpriced , undersized portions. However I was pleased to see that it provided a good value ( by Sinapore standards) Japanese meal option for me and 3 friends who wanted to eat Japanese but didn't want to have to mortgage the house to do so.

We ordered the Katsu selection for 3 + another dish with oroshi daikon on top. All told it was delicious.

I have lived in Japan for 5 years and used to eat tonkatsu regularly. While there may be some time quibbles in presentation etc, this restaurant passes muster.

Rice and cabbage refills are free as per the tradition in Japan.

Singapore
“Not up to expectation”
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Went to this restaurant for dinner last night with great expectation after reading reviews on the Internet but I would sincerely say that the Katsu is only slightly above avg, a 3.5 out of a 5.

I find the skin of the Katsu overfried and a tat too "golden". I still prefer the ones at Saboten.

The set comes with a free flow of rice and cabbage. I found the salad sauce not to my liking and this is subjective. Prefer the thick sesame ones at saboten. They have 2 versions of salad sauce at saboten.

Free watermelon slices after the meal too. Overall a 3.5 out of a 5.