“Tonkatsu heaven”

Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
“Tonkatsu heaven”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Grateful to live in Singapore and even happier to find a good meal at a decent price.

I have been a regular patron of Tonkichi and usually patronize the outlets at Isetan Scotts and Takashimaya. The quality of the meat and seafood is consistently good, the service is prompt and professional. You get a pretty balanced meal in each set, you can have prawn with meat (chicken / pork katsu) and loads of crunchy vegetable with a yummy salad sauce. Rice, fruits and Hot Tea. And if you care to top up, change the soup to the radish pork based soup Tonjiru. They also have curry, noodle, 2 kids' meal and healthy options.

Few restaurants keep the quality and freshness of the food consistent over years and years and I feel so gratified each time I have a good decent Tonkatsu meal at Tonkichi.

I frequent Japan, the standard at Tonkichi is on par with Japan and may even exceed given the relatively spaciousness of the restaurant.

Totally worth it.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank BrigL618

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“My choice for tonkatsu”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I believe I've found my favorite place for tonkatsu! I visited the Isetan Scotts location. At first it looked pricey but dishes were big enough to share. In regards to the ambience though nothing really to write home about.

• Visited November 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“A great alternative to the typical Japanese food”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

One the off putting points prior to deciding to come to this restaurant was the fact that it's located within the Takashimaya Shopping Mall on Orchard Rd. I expected overpriced , undersized portions. However I was pleased to see that it provided a good value ( by Sinapore standards) Japanese meal option for me and 3 friends who wanted to eat Japanese but didn't want to have to mortgage the house to do so.

We ordered the Katsu selection for 3 + another dish with oroshi daikon on top. All told it was delicious.

I have lived in Japan for 5 years and used to eat tonkatsu regularly. While there may be some time quibbles in presentation etc, this restaurant passes muster.

Rice and cabbage refills are free as per the tradition in Japan.

Singapore
“Not up to expectation”
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Went to this restaurant for dinner last night with great expectation after reading reviews on the Internet but I would sincerely say that the Katsu is only slightly above avg, a 3.5 out of a 5.

I find the skin of the Katsu overfried and a tat too "golden". I still prefer the ones at Saboten.

The set comes with a free flow of rice and cabbage. I found the salad sauce not to my liking and this is subjective. Prefer the thick sesame ones at saboten. They have 2 versions of salad sauce at saboten.

Free watermelon slices after the meal too. Overall a 3.5 out of a 5.

Singapore
“Black Pork”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Tonkichi, one of the restaurant under Pokka group. The only thing I know about pokka is the green tea can drink. My friend introduce me to this place as she said it is famous for its black pig.

The price is a bit higher if compare with normal Japanese Restaurant. Since it is famous for the black pig, so we must try it.

We ordered 3 set of the Tonkatsu.
Kurobuta Kata Rosu Set - Deep fried black pork shoulder loin, chawanmushi, appetizer, rice and miso soup. The black pig is from US.($28++). We substitute the miso soup with Tonjiru for $5.50++.
Iberico Rosu Katsu Set - Deep fried Iberico shoulder loin, chawanmushi, appetizer, rice and miso soup. The black pig is from Spanish, fed on acorn.($28++)
Katsu Zaru Soba Set - Cold Soba, deep fried pork fillet(3pcs), appertizer and chawanmushi ($24.90++)

So what is different between the US & Spanish pork? Actually I cannot tell from outlook. However, I found that I prefer the Spanish one reason being I feel the US pork have stronger pork smell if compare to Spanish.

Tonjiru tasted better than the normal miso soup. They added radish, carrot, meat, leek, toufu and there is one jelly like stuff which I cannot name it. It is better to consume when it is hot.

After the meal, we are served with watermelon for our dessert.

• Visited May 2012