“pay more if you want more”

Fragrance Hotel - Balestier
Ranked #182 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Fragrance Balestier is not central Singapore, you need some time to get to the nearest metrostation, they do not serve breakfast, there is no bar nor a swimming pool and yes, the rooms are also available for just one hour (30 singap dollar), but the 50 singap dollar we paid per night is relatively cheap compared to Singaporean standards, the rooms are quite clean, the neigbourhood has many excellent restaurants and an busstop can be found within 100 metres

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Excellent location, in the focal point on the city.Staff very friendly and helpful especially the 3 lovely ladies, Myvi, Zaleha and May.Room so clean and the ambient temperature is so cold . Nice to be back for relaxing moments.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank furren1315
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Receptionists are very friendly & helpful.But room size is small.no hangers to hang cloths & towel. Bathroom is very small.Bad smell.Not cleaned.Although informed to clean bathroom.not done correctly.Better to go for another hotel

1  Thank Indika T
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Travel in Singapore with family recently, spent one night at this hotel and move out on the second day.

In general, I would recommend this hotel to young travelers with tight budget, (comfort bed with flat TV and AC) but it is not really suitable for families with kids.

The reception team (particular May) are very friendly, they are customer focused and willing to help at all times. I have left my mobile phone behind and they called my new hotel to deliver the message and kept for me to picked up a few days later.

1  Thank Miller L
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My girlfriend & her family were in town for a visit. We stay there for 3 nights & the service we get was almost impeccable. Especially May & Myri, they were most friendly & offer us many assistance. From the moment we checked in, till the day we left. They attended us with utmost sincerity & warmth which were lacking in many frills-free hotels nowadays. May even sheltered our small entourage in the rain as we were boarding the cab en-route to the airport. Besides this, I'm also impressed with the housekeeping. They have been very conscientious in keeping our rooms clean, changing the sheets & towels. Most important of all, they re-filled the instant coffee packs for my morning & night must-have cuppa.

Having said that, they do have their shortcomings. The lack of wall hook-hangers is an inconvenience for guests. After coming back for the day, there's no place for hanging our clothings & towels. I do hope they seriously look into this.

To sum it up, this is one of the most service excellent, value-for-money & conveniently located hotel that one could get in Singapore. Keep up the good works gals!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Since I have been to Singapore many times already and decided that it was okay to try a new hotel (I usually book Hotel 81 Dickson for the convenience), I decided to try Fragrance Hotel Balestier as Agoda was offering a cheaper alternative.

The main difficulty my husband and I had with this hotel is that it was really quite far from the nearest MRT station (Novena). The best route was actually to go down at Newton station and take the bus 124 that goes directly to the hotel stop (Balestier Towers). This is more convenient than the Novena station.

I also didn't particularly like the Singaporean receptionist as though she was smiling, she told me to listen to her first before I talked. The Filipina receptionist was more helpful and was definitely more courteous. It was also annoying that the same Singaporean receptionist didn't listen to us when we told her the bus headed to the airport was right outside. That might have cost us time if she didn't head out and check for herself that we were right.

The hotel room was basic enough and just what uou needed since most of SG is really spent on traveling and not inside your hotel room. What I didn't particularly like also was the sealed toothbrush they provided for was seemingly used! It had toothpaste on it, as if it was recycled, that was gross! The bed was hard too and the channels were so limited. Wifi was too costly also.

This made me realize that it's better to just book elsewhere next with our next visit to SG.

1  Thank ubechan
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fragrance Hotel - Balestier, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us!

Upon your arrival at the hotel at around noon, the Front Desk Staff who had attended to you had informed that the check in time is 1500hrs. However, she had gone the extra mile by allowing you to check in immediately, on checking that the room was available and that it was a rainy weather during that afternoon. Her kind intentions might have probably been misinterpreted when she wanted to inform that although it is not yet the check in time, she can offer to check you in immediately.

Concerning your booking for the airport shuttle service at 1500hrs, the driver had in fact arrived early at 1400hrs, but left to pick up other passengers, after being told that you have not returned to the hotel yet. When you arrived at the hotel at about 1425hrs, you were notified to wait at the hotel lobby, since the driver has not returned yet. About 10mins later, the staff spotted the driver's transport parked next to the hotel and proceeded to inform you to board for your departure.

I would also like to explain that for the convenience of the guests, the provided toothbrush amenity is of a disposable type which comes with a dry toothpaste on the bristle tips. It is ready for use once the paste is put under running water. For hygiene reasons, all the hotel toothbrushes are individually packed, sealed and placed in the bathroom for the guest's usage.

Having said, I would like to thank you for your feedback and hoped you will give us an opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My parents traveled to Singapore to attend my graduation ceremony and stayed in Fragrance Hotel for 3 nights. The customer service is excellent. I was very absolutely impressed by service and kind help provided by Myvi and May, the 2 receptionists.
I look forward to coming back to this hotel again when re-visiting Singapore.

Room Tip: Rooms are all great