“Rude staff”

Littered With Books
Ranked #181 of 596 Shopping in Singapore
Reviewed April 15, 2017

Found this little bookstore and thought it was charming until I stepped inside, and tried to take a photo of it so that other people could know about it - was immediately shut down by an incredibly rude staff member saying no photography allowed. There are also signs all over the place saying NO PHOTOGRAPHY. I can't fathom what the reason could possibly be other than to be as "indie" as possible. The way she yelled at us made us 100% certain we wouldn't buy any books and would not be back. No wonder no one knows about this place. Will be taking my business to Books Actually instead.

Date of experience: April 2017
in 4 reviews
"chinatown"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed October 22, 2016

I was looking for some books by local authors and the young girls there were very helpful in finding some special things for me. The bookshop is laid out beautifully and the staff are very welcoming. They have the usual best sellers, cook books, coffee table picture books plus cards and other small novelties. Worth a visit if you're in the area.

Date of experience: June 2016
Reviewed July 29, 2016 via mobile

Love this shop! They have great collections of books. Nicely decorated, made me didnt want to leave. Staffs were friendly too

Date of experience: July 2016
Reviewed January 13, 2016 via mobile

Nice little bokshop along Duxton Road, stocks mass-market paperbacks and select non-fiction titles. Quite low on online presence, though.

Date of experience: January 2016
See more reviews
Reviewed November 27, 2015

I've lived in Singapore for about a year and a half, and one of the things I've missed dearly has been a good local bookstore. Littered With Books (LWB) is my favorite discovery in Singapore so far.

Singapore is what I call a 'book desert', wherein books tend to be concentrated in chain stores located in malls, separated from most of the places people actually live and work. Granted, chain stores like Kinokuniya have a decent selection (especially the main store on Orchard Rd), but they lack any character or personal touch. The books there are without souls, as the chains push the latest regardless of quality.

LWB was an accidental find. On a side street on the edge of Chinatown, I was wandering through and saw the sign and decided to step inside. I'm so happy I did. The location is just down the street from the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple, so it isn't far out of the way from the main tourist trail. And the area is littered with coffee shops and restaurants so you can make it a bit of a destination in itself.

The staff was friendly, and happy to see me. They gave a genuine greeting and were proactive about helping without being overbearing. (This kind of service is a rarity in Singapore, where corporate guidelines seem to require vapid greetings at the door, and once inside a shop or restaurant you are ignored until you are forced to wave someone down with the energy of fighting a large fire.) One staff member helped me locate the first book in a trilogy so I could start from the beginning, and assisted me in ordering several other books they did not have on hand.

The book selection was excellent. A good mix of the most recent with a healthy dose of classics in a variety of genres. Personally I gravitate toward the scifi and mystery sections to judge the quality of a bookstore, and LWB passes with flying colors. If you are on vacation and need to re-stock your books, this would be a much better choice than the chains.

Without a doubt, Littered With Books is where I will spend my book money in Singapore from now on.

Date of experience: November 2015