“A star in the gardens!”

The Halia at Singapore Botanic Gardens
Ranked #47 of 11,642 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tanglin
Description: Nestled in the charming grounds of the Ginger Garden, The Halia at Singapore Botanic Gardens is the flagship restaurant of The Halia Group; which includes Villa Halia, The Halia at Raffles Hotel and The Halia at Westlake, Hanoi. Here at The Halia at Singapore Botanic Gardens, diners can expect to be charmed by contemporary European cuisine with subtle accents of Asian flavours.
Reviewed May 31, 2014

This is the 10th restaurant I've visited while in Singapore. It was not as easy to find specially if the taxi driver do not know where to go, with good assistance from their staff we managed. Was late for our reservation for 30mins though. We were warmly welcomed by the hostess, however we can't get a table in their alfresco, perhaps its Friday and they looked busy. Here are my comments
*Prawn Satay for appetisers
-somewhat Asian yet modern in presentation. Loved the mango combination.
* Lamb Rack
-too sweet for me but my wife loved it. It was done perfectly, though they could be more generous with vegetables portion
* Stingray
-not a fan of this dish for curry was over powering, must replace dish for me.
*Devil pies
-very good desert to share. It was chocolatey yet not overly sweet,not to mention me being not a fan of sweets.

My wife was satisfied with their service and she's not easy to please. They introduced the food and call you by name is a plus points to us.
To end the good meal we were called a cabby and they did not stop until they got one. Since we got lost we were sent to the taxi by the hostess,too bad Im not good with names.

Jeg vil vaere tilbake!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,429)

Reviewed May 30, 2014

A very nice place to have our final dinner out in Singapore before heading home. The botanic garden is a wonderful setting, especially after dark when the scents of the plants take over from the view. Food was faultless with a well-thought out menu.

Downside? Well, I'm not used to having to argue with the waitress when my choice of dishes doesn't coincide with what she thinks I ought to have. Maybe we didn't start off on the right foot when we said we wished to sit inside and she said the terrace was better, but really, when it came to main courses "Why are you not going for the beef as I suggested?" shouldn't be a key part of restaurant's dialogue with its customers. Given the heat in Singapore it's very tiring having to cope with strident staff when all you want to do is sit down and enjoy a good meal at the end of the day.

That aside I'd certainly go back. We did have an enjoyable evening overall.

1  Thank Cthonus
Reviewed May 28, 2014

we celebrated my wife's birthday at Halia. we had seen it many times during our walks at the botanic garden and always wanted to visit.

It was a mixed evening. I had requested a small cake for wife' birthday and the restaurant had called ahead to make necessary arrangements. They brought out the cake and played the surprise part very well (Thank you). The service was attentive and friendly but they could focus on the details (our olive oil was served but they missed serving the bread until we asked). The outdoor ambiance was very nice.

On the negative, there are no directions on the website about parking and we ended up parking very far (long walk). The food was average (for a restaurant of this nature actually below par). We had the scallops which were presented well but there was no taste in the dish. The lamb was overcooked (I had ordered medium-rare, it was more like medium - well done and was not juicy but tough) and the accompanying vegetables & puree were tasteless. The Duck Confit was only slightly better.

While other things are important in a restaurant dinner, food is major factor and it disappointed.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

A visit to this restaurant late last year surprised my husband and I having never heard of it on our prior visits to Singapore. The food was fantastic, the service spot on and the ambiance was unique and beautiful.

Fast forward half a year, and I don't know what on earth has happened, the restaurant seems to of been fairly poorly overhauled. Change of ownership perhaps? Service wasn't to the professional standard that we had experienced prior. Though the food was still very good, the beef wellington was amazing, far better than great examples I've had at The Hand and The Flower and Claridges.

Christopher J, Owner at The Halia at Singapore Botanic Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Dear Suiyee79,

Thank you for your review on Halia at Singapore Botanic Gardens.
We are glad you like our food.

You may wish to know that our restaurant has recently undergone a facelift and is also moving towards a more casual concept whilst maintaining the same service quality.

We apologize that you found our service to be of inadequate standard during your recent visit. We consider our customers’ feedback most seriously and would appreciate if you could provide further details of your visit (date and time) and also the specific areas that you felt was lacking of, in order for us to conduct an investigation and rectify this issue.

I would also appreciate if you could provide your contact details for us to get in touch with you.

Alternatively, please drop me an email at firdaus@thehalia.com or call (65)84441148.

Thank you and we look forward to hear from you soon.

Yours sincerely,
Firdaus Ali
Assistant Operations Manager

Reviewed May 15, 2014

When we arrived we were greeted by name (we had made a booking) and the service was amazing all night. At first, I wasn't too excited about the menu, but once I had found something I wanted to eat, I was delighted with my choice of duck. It was delicious and tender. My husband's lamb was equally delicious.
It's not cheap there, and the menu is not particularly extensive, but the food and service were impeccable.