“enjoy the botanical garden”

The Halia at Singapore Botanic Gardens
Ranked #48 of 10,515 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: European, Asian, Singaporean
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Tanglin
Description: Nestled in the charming grounds of the Ginger Garden, The Halia at Singapore Botanic Gardens is the flagship restaurant of The Halia Group; which includes Villa Halia, The Halia at Raffles Hotel and The Halia at Westlake, Hanoi. Here at The Halia at Singapore Botanic Gardens, diners can expect to be charmed by contemporary European cuisine with subtle accents of Asian flavours.
Amsterdam
“enjoy the botanical garden”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

if you are admiring the botanical garden then halia is a great spot for a lunch or sunday brunch. Food is ok, not spectacular, prices are good the location is great

Visited February 2014

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
“Great for a romantic date”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

I spend hours looking for somewhere nice to take my mum on a mother daughter date and we finally picked Halia form all the great reviews. Mum saw the lobster on the online menu and declared it would be her main course. Reservations were made swiftly. When we had to shift the time slot to an hour later and had trouble directing the cab to the correct gate, the staff over the phone was extremely pleasant and helpful. The walk to the restaurant was a delightful stroll and I do imagine this being a great place for a romantic dinner date.

I chose to have dinner outdoors when reservations were made but due to the humidity and lack of breeze that night, we requested to be shifted indoors. Thankfully there was table available and our waitress was very accommodating. I had trouble getting the attention of several wait staff prior to that and was relieved when we were shifted indoors as i presumed it was too dark for them to see me waving my hand or too noisy to hear me calling out to passing waiters.

We are disappointed to find out that the menu we had seen online was an outdated one and that there was no lobsters available. Needless to say the dinner was starting to go downhill and I could sense my mums disappointment as it was meant to be a treat. She managed to pick the recommended chilli crab spaghettini and went with the garden journey. The waiter explained the dishes as it came and I was delighted by the plating. Portions were rather small. Oyster surprised me as i was expecting the goat cheese to overwhelm it but it was delicious, scallops were well seared but i didnt care too much for the chicken wing presse, the frog porridge is really good as the meat was slightly crisp and tender inside while the porridge had a texture I didnt expect as oats were added, angus beef was well marinated and beautifully grilled to a medium rare but was cut too thin for my liking and also had quite a bit of tendon, would have been perfect otherwise. The crab pasta was too spicy for my liking but i expect someone with better tolerance of chilli would have liked it. Mum wasnt impressed with her dish.

Was pretty upset by now as mum wasnt enjoying dinner to the extent I called a place in Dempsy to check what time they closed and so when dessert came and she loved it, there was obviously nothing stopping us ordering a second helping of 'the ginger garden' and also the 'snickers'. The ginger garden was so pretty I could hardly bring myself to eat it. The ginger flower sherbet was divine and the meringue in the shape of a pink mushroom was the best I had. Even service had taken an excellent turn when friendly-suit-guy (manager I presume?, my bad for not getting his name) came to the rescue. He surprised us by getting us additional ginger crumble that my mum was loving and recommended 'snickers' which was also beautifully plated. All in all it turned out pretty good towards the end and we didnt have to head to Dempsy as a plan B after all. Would have given it 5 stars if not for the few hiccups.

Singapore, null, Singapore
“Great meal and great Ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

Halia is one of those restaurants I've always wanted to try, and it did not disappoint. I took my boyfriend there for his birthday (one of the few places open on a Monday). Definitely sit outside so you can experience the full ambiance of dining in the gardens. We got the beef to share and it was cooked to perfection.
Our waiter provided excellent service, and even took the time to learn our names and called us by our names the entire evening.
Afterwards we brought our own dessert and wine and had a picnic in the park :) great evening !

Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Wonderful experience, couldn't fault it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

We walked across the botanic garden to get here, which was lovely in twilight, and sat outside. It was busy even on a Monday, so definitely need to book. The service was particularly noteworthy (Mae was our server, and was so warmly hospitable we felt very well looked after. I particularly liked the fact she asked how we would like to be addressed, and used our names throughout - without over-using them or being contrived). The food was excellent - we didn't go for the tasting menu, although it was very inviting, but the a la carte also had a great balance of dishes. We opted for the recommended wines with each course, and they had been very well chosen - it was worth trying wines that we would not necessarily have chosen.

A really lovely experience in Singapore, I would definitely come back. I imagine the atmosphere (and menu) are quite different during the day, but I would not let the fact that Halia is in the gardens put you off going in the evening - quite the opposite.

Hong Kong
“Be aware of the extremely high prices”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

After a visit to the Orchid Garden we wanted to drink coffee and tea. The prices were extremely i high. We were charged SingD 10.00 for a Chamomile Tea and SindD 8.00 each for 1 Latte and 1 Cappuccino. Apart from the incredibly high prices, the cappuccino had far too much milk. (These prices compare with The Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong, which is a 5+ Star Hotel.)

1 Thank Erna Z
Christopher J, Owner at The Halia at Singapore Botanic Gardens, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Hi Erna Z,

Thank you for your review on Halia at Singapore Botanic Gardens.

We regret that you found our drink prices expensive and assure you of our ongoing efforts to source and serve quality products at a fair price. For your reference, the Camomile Infusion we serve is a pure infusion of loose whole camomile flowers from a home-grown premium brand, Gryphon. The quantity of flowers we serve per pot is more than sufficient for two persons’ enjoyment, with a possibility of a lighter refill. As for our coffees, we serve 100% Arabica beans from a popular Melbourne (Australia) brand, Vittoria.

We apologise that the proportion of milk to espresso was not to your liking. In cases of dissatisfaction, The Halia has a policy of changing the dish or drink at no additional charge. Hence, we would have been happy to replace your drink on receiving your feedback. We hope you would accept our invitation to enjoy a complimentary latte and cappuccino with us on your next visit to Singapore.

The Halia will be undergoing major renovations this year after 13 years of operations and on our re-opening, we will present a new menu of affordable quality cuisine and drinks. We hope to welcome you then to try our all-day menu of European cuisine with Asian influences and that you will have a more enjoyable experience with us.

In the meantime, should you have any other feedback or queries, please feel free to contact my assistant operations manager, Firdaus at (65) 84441148 or email firdaus@thehalia.com
Thank you.