“Good but not good enough to line up for 45 mins!”
Review of Ma Maison

Ma Maison
Ranked #588 of 11,172 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Italian, Japanese, Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Core
Reviewed February 8, 2013

If you love breaded food the Japanese way, then this is the place to go in Singapore. Tonkatsu or the breaded pork is most sought after. They have different pork which have different nationality or imported from different places. They also have breaded prawn and oysters for those who do not like pork.

However, I don't think I'd line up again for their tonkatsu. Don't see much difference in terms of taste with the others I've tasted. Probably, tender but not good enough to line up for 45 mins! It's not value for money at all, paid $31 for my tonkatsu set.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Calling all ladies to go on Monday because it's ladies' night! Discount! Check out their cake and be spoilt for choice! Ambiance is cozy and wonderful too!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I ordered the Tonkatsu. What else? I have been here 5 times and never been disappointed by the Tonkatsu. And that is the ONLY reason I came here. To eat Tonkatsu. The choices are interesting but they are all pork from different countries fried to a breaded crispy piece. I wish I could say more but my fear is that I might suddenly run off and look for the restaurant at this late hour.

If you have been utterly destoryed by the Tonkatsu from the normal Japanese chains then come to Tonkatsu heaven at Ma Maison (Mandarin or Bugis Junction) and indulge.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

This review applies to Tonkatsu Ma Maison at the Mandarin Gallery in Orchard Rd...

Perhaps it was because I've been expecting too much because of the ridiculous reviews I've read about the tonkatsu but I have to say i've had better.

My boyfriend and I ordered the Hungary Mangaloca Pork Loin Set. It came with tonkatsu, rice, miso soup and a cabbage salad.

While reviews touted the breading to be light and airy, I thought it had TOO much breading and every bite I took I felt oil gushing out of my mouth. Though the meat was juicy and tender, the 1/4 of FAT in each piece was really gross and unappetizing, so was the two end pieces of FAT.
Even my boyfriend who was ravenous couldn't finish the meat because he thought it was too fatty.

We ordered the Jumbo Prawns which looks absolutely tasty but again the breading was just TOO much. We ended up tossing away most of it and ate the prawns by itself, which of course tasted like any other prawn without the breading or any marinate.

The sauce was really good though. Perfect combination of sweet, salty and tangy.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had dinner here with a friend and was impressed by the ambience. The food is mostly a fusion of Japanese with other cuisines. We started dinner with escargot, which was nice with the garlic butter. For mains, my friend had the Keema curry with rice, which she said was quite spicy. My oven-baked fish with Camembert and basil sauce was good, although the fish was a little dry. Dessert was the famous Ma Maison tarts (one Mont Blanc and one blueberry), and they lived up to their billing!
One tip: the tarts sell out very fast, so as soon as you get a table, ask your server to reserve your desired tarts! Otherwise you might be disappointed if you wait until after your dinner.