“sorry closed at 8.20pm”

Neighborhood: Chinatown
Italy
“sorry closed at 8.20pm”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

was craving for beef noodle soup in china street which used to be very nice with friendly staff but they changed. went there at 8.20pm and they told me sorry closed so after asking what time is the last order they told me 8.30pm but now already closed. really disappointing and bad customer service. was a regular customer in the china street outlet and alexandra outlet but won't go there anymore!

• Visited July 2013

Singapore
“New Hock Lam Beef @ ARC - just as good”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is the new Hock Lam Beef outlet @ the Alexandra Retail Centre (ARC). The soup and dry versions were very good. You select your combination - the type of broth, type of noodle, type of beef (sliced, chunky, balls). This is like Vietnamese Pho except less vegetable ingredients than the Viet or Thia versions. Hock Lam beef were tender, broth has herbal flavour and somewhat spicy but no chillies. Orders were served very quickly.
No free water - S$0.50 per glass of still water. Homemade barley is one of their popular drinks. See www.hocklambeef.com

• Visited May 2013
Auckland Central, New Zealand
“Brought back childhood memories”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I grew up eating this same beef noodles when they were at the Capitol theater. read about them through the net and when I was back in Singapore last year, I just had to go a taste it for myself if it was true that the same recipes has been used since the early days. Having lived abroad I only have short annual visits and this was a trip I had to make. i must say that i was not at all disappointed...as i sipped on the soup all my past taste buds were revisited and if not for my high ferratin count i would have indulged on a second bowl. I would certainly go back again my next visit to my heartland.

• Visited December 2012
“Simply beef noodles”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Maybe for the fact that i am a singaporean (growing up eating beef noodles), the taste of this beef noodles is average, and nothing to shout about. A good place to fulfill your desire to have a simple bowl of beef noodles, no frills and self service.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank alanyeo76
Singapore
“Fantastic! Finally get my craving satisfied!”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

That was quite some time ago, my colleague Tabao back their beef noodle for my lunch, I was totally feel that's really worthy queuing (as he queued for at least 30 mins during lunch time).
I happened to be extremely craving for beef noodle since last week, however I just had NO time to visit Hock Lam although it's sort of somewhere close by my office. And I finally today I went there at almost 1:30 PM, the queue was not that long as compared to the real lunch time, but still got at least 10 people queuing in front of me.
I was totally satisfied my craving! And you will feel everything is just so perfect even you know you still need to back to work right after the beef noodle.
The soup, perfect!
The beef ball, my favorite, is just so nice and chewy.
I hope I can have their beef noodle again soon.

• Visited November 2011