“The Drawing Room”

The St. Regis Singapore
Ranked #29 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed June 26, 2010

The Hotel is just great, the one thing I really want to talk about is the Drawing Room, a Tea Lounge just off the Lobby.
To begin with I like Afternoon Tea, my scones and Tea, the Drawing Room does it just great and the ambience is equally good, Service very attentive our server was Marla, pleasant, smiling, friendly and cheerful.
To me this is best afternoon Tea in Singapore especially in the Scones and service department.
forget about the Raffles Hotel afternoon Tea.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,210)

Reviewed June 23, 2010

The hotel is located very close to the Orchard Road, which is a place you will visit a lot during your stay in Singapore. It only takes a few minute walk to get there from the hotel. On the other hand, the hotel is not literally located on the high street therefore you can always enjoy the tranquility even in the Singapore city center.

The service is definitely great and it really deserves a thumb up. Staff are very nice and responsive. You will be really impressed by the genuine smiles from their staff. The room amenities and set up is very up-scale. You can feel the low-profile luxury.... like all of other St. Regis branded hotels, it offers great stay experience which you can feel as comfortable as home.

The over-sized room is another plus. I think we stayed in their entry-level room, which is very spacious. I am under the impression that normally the you cannot easily find such spacious entry-level rooms in Singapore.

The only drawback I'd like to mention is the food selection of the hotel breakfast. We didn't find much Asian food option which we really missed during our 5-day stay in the hotel.

Overall, it is a great hotel and it definitely worth your stay.

1  Thank hrainzhao
Reviewed June 21, 2010

What you pay for at this hotel is the quietness of its surrounding and the butlers who are always ready to give you coffee, iced water or tea at any time of day. I was going to watch TV and looked for the remote and surprisingly, there was food stain on its buttons, and it was gross because we were impressed how the rooms looked and expected that everything was clean. I would stay at this hotel again but would definitely not get breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2010

We had three nights here on our way back from Italy. The hotel advertises that it is 6 star and so appears to try and anticipate your every need.
Our room was fabulous - spacious , elegant and very well designed. It took a while to sort out the electronic gadgets but eventually we got there. The bathroom was great with two wash basins which we like. Toileries were large sizes and were Remede. Normally the shampoo etc does not concern me but this brand was really lovley.
The bath tub was great and had a TV screen and remote control so you cold lie in the bath and watch TV.
The flat screen in the main area was huge and there was also a DVD system with lots of CD's. More could be obtained by calling the butler.
Yes each floor has their own butler! The butler is very helpful and will arrange such things as reseravation, pressing of garments and serving tea. we asked for tea making facilities to be set up in our room and this was done. we found our body clocks a little out so when we were wide awake at 4 in the morning we decided it would be better to make our own tea rather than have the butler serve us.
The amenities in the hotel are great SPA and swimming pools and lots of bars and resteraunts.
We used the Astor Bar and the Italian resteraunt by the pool. The latter being great. The Astor Bar had the world cup on TV so it was not a quiet place to have a drink.
Breakfast was very good and lots of choice. Unfortunatley the staff of which there were any did not leave us alone. The minute you put a fork down they were trying to clear up or they were asking you if they could do anything for you.
The same happens when you walk in the front door - someone wants to carry your bag.
This hotel is great if you like attention. I found it very wearing after a while. The hotel staff do not appear to understand the word privacy. E.g I decided to put the do not disturb on the door and have a bath. whilst I was in the bath the phone rang so I ignored it. when I had finsished my bath I noted the message lights on the phone plus there was a note under the door. It appeared the butler had forgotten to return a clean tea cup to the room and was frantic that we would not survive without it. It is not the butlers fault - the hotel trains them to be so efficient they are not sensitive to people needing space.
I did not one of the supervisors chastising a staff member in the resteraunt for not folding a napkin properley and I felt this was really bad mangement practice. I don't need to see this when I am eating breakfast and I was surprised that this should happen.

The SPA is great but very expensive so beware as the price quoted attracts tax.
we had a lovley stay but the constant attention was a little wearing but I am used to doing things for myself so perhaps I need to chill out.
Do not stay here if you are on a budget!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 12, 2010

First off, I am a SPG Platinum. My wife and I stayed at the St Regis twice in May. This is an extremely new and modern hotel. The 1st time we stayed for 3 nights and received a Grand Deluxe room. The 2nd time, we were there for 1 night and received a Suite.

For the location, I gave it 4 stars. It's on the edge of Orchard and you really need a taxi to get anywhere. Granted, the metro system in SIN isn't as extensive as other cities and it's probably the same for other hotels.

Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted and received help with our bags immediately. We actually found check-in quite pleasant and efficient. We really, really liked the expansive and tasteful lobby.

After arriving in our room, our 1st butler appeared ("A"). He seemed a little tired and I could sense a little boredom in his voice when explaining the room. The control panel is confusing to use and the explanation really helps. Ok, that's fine as everyone can get tired from time-to-time. However, when my wife asked a question regarding the room, the answer received was quite abrupt and rude. I was actually taken aback with his response. Luckily, this was the 1st and last time we saw this butler. The rest of the time, we received superb service from "Z".

The Grand Deluxe room is of a good size. A very large bathroom, good desk space and room for a small sofa and table. While it's not a suite, we found it suited our needs perfectly. Some people have commented on the "odd" use of colour in the furniture but we found it fine. The bed was quite comfortable and there is a pillow menu. The entertainment system was hooked up to a Bose surround system in the room. The HVAC and soundproofing was excellent. In the bathroom, there is a LCD TV embedded into the wall. The mirrors are heated so won't fog up. We really liked the shower system although the stall might be a touch small. There was marble everywhere in the bathroom.

Other points in the hotel include a good number of elevators. However, it still does use key-card access for floors. We did eat in the ground floor restaurant every morning. There was an adequate choice of food and the obligatory omellete station. Service was friendly, elegant, and efficient.

During our 2nd stay, we did receive a Suite. Like most suites, there was a separate sitting room. Interestingly enough, for the sitting room there was a remote in lieu of a control panel. This was extremely convenient. The closet was connected to the bedroom and bathroom and was extremely large. In the bedroom, there is a powder table that has glass panels opening up into the bathroom. For the bathroom, there is the normal bathroom and a powder room just adjacent.

My overall impression is that the St Regis is quite luxurious. Excellent service was received in 99% of cases, other than the poor showing from the 1st butler.

Would I return? Quite likely. We really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Braindrain
StRegisSingapore1, Manager at The St. Regis Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2010

Dear Braindrain,

Thank you for selecting the St. Regis during your two stays in Singapore. We would also like to express our heartfelt thanks for your recent review.

We are heartened that you enjoyed your stay with The St. Regis Singapore and felt well taken care of by our staff. We sincerely appreciate your positive reinforcement and we will continue to deliver the personalized and bespoke service that is expected of us.

Additionally, we welcome your feedback on our butler service, and your views will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service standards and increase guest satisfaction.

Thank you once more for staying with us. We certainly look forward to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit.

Best regards,
Hotel Management team

Reviewed June 10, 2010

We booked St.Regis with a nice pay 3, sleep 4 nights offer, so it was good value for money.

Location is very good, pretty near to Orchard Road and MRT, but far enough from noise and confusion.

While St. Begis in Bejing was absolutely perfect, the one in Singapore is not spotless, although it's an excellent hotel. Our room was really very good and classy, with large, confortable beds and an absolutely amazing marble bathroom. You surely get more than five star sleep.

Butler service is fine, while I wouldn't choose St. Regis just for that.
We didn't have the buffet breakfast in the hotel, just not to eat too much. In Singapore culinary temptations await you at every corner, so better start the day light. There's wonderful Hediard from Paris patisserie 100 metres away or you can have breakfast anywhere in Orchard Rd.

Yes the swimming pool is small, we didn't use it for lack of time. Neither we tried the hotel restaurants, there are so many around!

Service was was good, everyone was polite and courteous, but in some ways it was not on a par with the stellar one of our August stay in St. Regis Beijing. Given an affordable tariff, when in Singapore we would surely come back to St. Regis

Reviewed June 3, 2010

Location – 5 Stars – Tanglin road turns in to Orchard road (Shopping, hotels, nice to walk) and is a nice walk.

Property – 5 Stars – Opulent lobby and rooms. In the rooms: Floor to celing windows with niceview of the green area, high end condos and embassies etc. However, the bottom half of the windows have some white design spoiling the view and I wish they did not have that;

Check-in – 3 Stars – We checked-in at 5 PM on the 7th April. Check-in was okay (the lady who checked us in had an attitude that was not friendly). Walked us to the elevator but did not explain anything about the hotel or features. Contrast this to our other stays at HongKong, Sheraton Grande in Bangkok and Sheraton in Pattaya, they walk you to the room and explain the property and features of the room and facilities.

Butler/Front desk – 3 Stars. Decent overall. However, Capuccino and Cup of Milk was barely luke warm one morning when I requested for hot. They replaced it. The worse was the TV in the bathroom was not working and it took 3 calls to the Butler over 24 hours and one with Front desk manager before it was fixed. For each time, they would come and either switch it on or off without the remote working. There was hardly an apology from the Front desk manager when I said it has already taken 3 calls and 24 hours and it has not been fixed when (a) the problem should not have existed and (b) it should have been properly attended to after the 1st call

Breakfast – 5 stars – High quality and good service

Concierge – 5 Stars – Very polite and helpful

Chinese restaurant for lunch (I think the name was Yan Ting) – 5 Star - Good food and service. We had lunch twice here.

Housekeeping – 3 Stars – Fine overall but did not replenish toiletries even though they were more than half empty.

Pool side – 2 stars – Servers were busy chatting. I had to walk to them so I could order a drink. When she did bring my drink, she put it in a table which was quite far from the lounging chair (which is in a quarter feet of water in the pool) and could not be reached unless you got up and took a few steps. This was very inconvenient but may be they do this to avoid spillage in the pool. I have seen similar set-ups at other hotels but they generally put a table next to you for drink (and do not serve food). Also, they had cold towels but I was not offered one – I had to ask for one.

Check out: 5 stars – Smooth, Polite and Courteous

Overall, I think unless you are on expense account, you can get much better service for lower rates. Like you can see above, the service is not consistent between departments or individuals. Many times it is top-notch and at other times it is disappointing. For how much you pay, I think it ought to be top-notch each time. This hotel is very nice but definitely not value for money.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family