“Hopelessly not suited to having a high occupancy. All of the facilities and the staff swamped and unable to cope.”

Ranked #29 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Not worth the incredible high price tag to have such a poor standard of service. Not a manger to be seen as the staff failed to cope. The pool area resembled a daycare centre for screaming children. Apparently the Sheraton pool is closed so they use the St Regis pool ... Be warned

• Stayed: December 2012
TheSRSManagement, Director of Rooms at The St. Regis Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Denirover

Please accept our sincere apologies for your recent experiences at our hotel. We have taken note of your comments and have shared them with the relevant departments for further improvements. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

The St. Regis Singapore

Write a ReviewReviews (2,264)

Reviewed December 29, 2012

After 9 days in Bhutan I treated myself to a little luxury and I am glad I choose the St. Regis. The room is very elegant and comfortable. The bathroom is stunning and the bed is amazing. The service is spot on and very sincere. I love the butler service and he has been quite helpful. I splurged and used the hotels Bentley service from the airport and that was also very nice. Great city and great hotel. I could live here!

Stayed: December 2012

Dear PierrePS

Thank you for the kind words about The St. Regis Singapore. It gives us great pleasure to note that you have truly enjoyed your stay at The St. Regis Singapore. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is a stay which barely lasted six hours before I decided that enough is enough and I had the duty manager come to me in my room to let him know that the line has been crossed and I had to check out.

I was checked in by Valerie at about 3.25pm, who waited till all the documentation and pleasantries were said and done to tell me that my suite wasn't ready, and that they were doing "final touch ups" to it. The stipulated check-in time was 3.00pm. She said it will be done at 4pm, and offered no form of embarrassment or perhaps a gesture of goodwill of a complimentary refreshment in such a situation. Despite my disappointment that a self-proclaimed 6-star property can fail in this instance, I walked back to my party in Brasserie Les Saveurs as we were having a less-than-mediocre high-tea (both in terms of quality of service and food). I went back to Valerie at 4.30pm with the intention of collecting my keys and inviting my party up to my suite, only to be met with an astonishing response of asking me to wait as she checked the status of my room. She conversed in Mandarin with the housekeeping staff over the phone right in front of me, to which she clearly began the conversation with "He is right in front of me now." I can only say that the treatment I have received to this point is shocking and downright humiliation that I feel like I am a burden to the hotel. The room was of course NOT READY at 4.30pm. I immediately asked for the manager.

The manager met me in the lobby and apologised for the delay with some nonsensical lie about the delay of my suite. He claimed that the first suite I was assigned had a faulty door and they had to reassign me another suite which they had to turn-around at short notice. I knew for a fact that he was lying because I was at the spa earlier (at about 12.30pm) and the spa receptionist had checked that my room assignment was 1201 and this is the room that I was indeed checked into. The manager offered a late checkout the next day as service recovery, and while I appreciated the gesture, the first impression that the hotel has given me has already been tarnished. The manager promised to come back to me to let me know what he can do about the late checkout. This DID NOT materialise. He did, however, give me the key to my suite 1201.

Within 5 minutes of arriving into my room, butler Andy came with some fruits and offered to show me the features of the room. Andy is the only shimmering home that this hotel has thus far.

I went to the complimentary wine tasting session at the Decanter and while a novel and splendid idea, and Christian as the sommelier was friendly and accommodating, I felt the whole session was more like a 'free food' session more than a 'wine tasting' session. The idea was that you can choose any 3 glasses of wine for tasting, and they have some cheese and crackers on the side. As this was open to all (hotel guests and residents of the apartments), it did seem rather tacky that people were shoving to the cheese platter and a harried-looking Christian working alone looked helpless at one point having to serve the demands of everyone who was there for free wine.

I proceeded back upstairs to the suite to relax and watch some TV. After an hour or so I found the suite rather warm. I had deliberately left the key in the keyslot before leaving earlier for the wine as I wanted the room to cool down, but after 2 hours it seemed like the thermostat was stuck at 26oC despite having it turned down to 18oC before I left the room earlier. Once again, this matter, while minor, added on to the earlier frustration at check-in. I called the butler who said that she will send the engineer to take a look.

I went down to the Astor Bar to have the complimentary cocktails and canapes. Walking into a bar which is less than 20% filled, it took a while for a tired-looking waitress to come forward. When I told her I am here for the cocktails as part of the suites package, she just said "please carry on" and left us to keep walking forward before shouting at us to come back and said we can take any seat in the bar. For a 6-star hotel, would you not expect the waitress to show you to your table first??? When we finally did sit (in the correct place no less!), she came and started mumbling about the menu about what we are entitled to "This is the champagne, this is the red wine, this is the white wine, this is the beer and you can only have tiger, and this is the list of cocktails we have". I felt she was like my teacher telling me what things are when the menu was staring right at me, to the point that it was condescending and I was taking up her time. Her mumbling and lack of interest in going through the menu edged on being insolent. When she came back to take the order, and I asked for a rose, she corrected me to say that it is not part of the package, and I could only have the billecart salmon brut reserve, which I took. The canapes which came with the champagne, while visually stunning, was tastelessly shocking.

I went back to my room at about 8.30pm and wanted to use my ipad to check some emails. I was told by Valerie during my first attempt at check-in that I should log-in using the room number (1201) and any last name of the registered guests in the room. There were 3 guests registered to this suite. I tried all 3, but got an error message. It was this time when Andy delivered a complimentary tea and I asked if he could help me with the log-in. He too, found it perplexing that it didn't work, so called Docomo, the contractor for the Wifi access in the hotel. Understandably, Andy passed the phone over to me so that the agent on the phone could help me with the log-in. After several failed (and repeated) attempts, the agent discovered that the hotel has not registered any of the guests into the Docomo system. She was able to rectify it immediately.

While the issues that I have encountered were minor, it was just too many of them added together to make this trip memorable. It was 9pm. I felt the hotel has treated me with too much disdain. I called the front office to call for the manager so that I could talk to him. The same manager came within 5 minutes and I sat him down to list down the things I am unhappy about, as well as enquire about his earlier promise of a late check out, to which he said he has already sent a note up earlier (which I very highly doubt as the butler Andy would have sent it up together with the tea earlier).

I asked him if it is because the suite was complimentary (as it was part of an Astor package my mum had signed up) that I am receiving such shoddy service, to which he was very quick to say no. I then told him I would like to check out immediately as there has just been too many minor issues on top of the check-in fiasco and I am no longer comfortable staying in the hotel. He agreed. I asked for a written document from him before I leave to confirm that this stay will not be credited against my mum's Astor account. He told me he will make sure I get it before I leave the hotel.

While he was apologetic I felt there was very little service recovery from all aspects of the hotel. I have stayed in so many other hotels where I have expected so much less but received so much more. St. Regis as a respected brand in my books has failed me very miserably. Plus, if this is the kind of service at suite level, I shudder at the thought of what I would have received if I was only checking into one of their base rooms.

This experience was handled very badly by the staff in the hotel, and in particular the check-in agent Valerie, who is a liability for a hotel of this class.

I will strongly discourage anyone from even thinking about staying here. Please go somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank metcalve
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Room Tip: Avoid 1201 at all costs
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank metcalve

Dear Sam Y

Thank you for your review. We apologise for your experiences at The St. Regis Singapore. I understand that one of our representatives have been in touch with you to take note of your concerns and to better understand the details of your experiences. We thank you once again for taking the time to review The St. Regis Singapore and look forward to having another opportunity to improve upon your last experience with us.

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Huge beautifully decorated room with spacious decorated toilets. The whole ambience is so serene and beautiful . We felt so pampered with compliment spa swimming pool too. Breakfast spread is fantastic with excellent service . Wine tasting n cheese was very nice . An unforgettable experience and one where we will go again to be pampered :)

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank feledoll

Dear feledoll

Thank you for your review of The St. Regis Singapore. We are glad that you took delight in the Wet Lounge at our award-winning Remede Spa and enjoyed your time at our restaurants and bar. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future with great pleasure.

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Let me first say that this a more expensive hotel than I normally stay at. My normal hotels are more like Marriott and Radisson. So this was a luxury trip with very good service. For me though it was a bit too much. I don't need a butler to operate the coffee machine för me. Breakfast was outstanding with the fresh berries.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear LG4KL

Thank you for your valuable feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. At The St. Regis Singapore, it is our aim to bring the feeling of Old World charm and service to the modern day setting and ensure that all our guests enjoy a luxurious experience during their stay with us. We are glad that you have enjoyed dining at our restaurants and look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back at The St. Regis Singapore in the near future.

Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful inside, rooms are very spacious and well laid out. The bathtub and bathroom products were very relaxing. Room is extremely quiet although located on noisy Orchard Road.

Food is disappointing.
- for breakfast we had the Chinese breakfast and healthy eggs Benedict both were not very good. The congee was bland and tasteless, couldn't eat it.
- we ordered chocolate cake one evening and it was served with a hair on the plate. We called the butler service who called us back to apologize and again apologized in the morning. Yet when I went to check out I was still being charged for the cake with the hair in it! Not a nice way to end the stay.

Overall we enjoyed the stay because the rooms are lovely and quiet.

But I would recommend eating outside the hotel

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear SC-travel12

Thank you for taking the time to review The St. Regis Singapore. We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay in our rooms which have been appointed with great care and attention. It is with much regret that we note your unfortunate dining experience during your stay with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the lapses. We have shared your incidents with the relevant departments and will be conducting an internal review to ensure that improvements are made. We thank you once again for your time and look forward to another opportunity to ensure that your next experience with us will be a seamless one.