Encounter - Real life Suspense Game

Reviewed May 18, 2018
travelzzzgal
Singapore
via mobile
An Encounter not to be missed

Reviewed May 5, 2018
JohnD11000

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Singapore
from $30.94
from $41.01
from $73.08
from $35.79
More Info
All reviews escape room immersive experience special effects other companies puzzles cruise plot hdb geylang besar
Selected filters
Reviewed May 18, 2018 via mobile

4 of us went to play the Apartment. Everything is so realistically set up. And the special effects are fantastic! It's the best escape room i had ever been too. Staff is super friendly and will explain in details after your game.. its a pity they are closing in 27th May. Catch them while you can!

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed May 5, 2018

Being an avid escape room fan, I've played multiple rooms across the island by various companies, but had never gone to Encounter, despite having read stellar reviews on blogs by other escape room enthusiasts. This was in part due to the seemingly prohibitive price compared to most other companies and also the fact that they recommended more people to attempt the room while I usually go as part of a duo.

However, I happened to chance upon the website again, only to find that it was closing this month and hence decided to take the leap of faith. Of course the $5 discount didn't hurt things.

The Geylang branch (housing rooms like The Hospital, Boutique and Cruise) operated by Encounter wound up last year so the only room we were able to play was The Apartment housed at their Jalan Besar grounds. The premise of the room is essentially that a family comprising a mother and her 2 daughters has mysteriously vanished from their apartment and you and your team have been tasked to unravel the mystery surrounding their disappearance and escape the apartment, avoiding the fate that has befallen the family.

Without spoiling the experience too much, I would say that this is hands down the best escape room I've had the chance to play in Singapore (given my limited experience). From when we first stepped into the premises and were greeted by the gamemaster who informed us of the mandatory dos & don'ts and screened a video explaining the background of the story to when we finally burst out of the exit, this was a thoroughly immersive experience.

The company managed to recreate the setting of an old HDB apartment down to a T and the atmosphere had us gripped from start to finish. The puzzles generally did not require any obscure leaps of logic and were woven into the plot quite seamlessly. The hint provision system was also unobtrusive and did not hamper our general experience of the room. Further elaboration of the puzzles and setting would give too much away so I shan't spill more details.

After making it through the exit (after kindly being granted an extra almost 5 minutes by the powers that be AKA the gamemaster), there were still more details about what was to follow which was meant to dovetail into the next episode "The Hospital" which unfortunately as aforementioned is no longer available.

Upon our return to the reception where we thought all there was left to do was make payment and take the customary photograph, we were unexpectedly sat down by the gamemaster and given a debriefing which lasted almost as long as the game itself where the gamemaster patiently explained the plot, the flow of puzzles in the room and entertained any questions we had and any feedback.

All in all, I would say that I had my money's worth and more and both my partner and I unanimously agreed that this was the best room we'd ever played and it would take something to top this experience in the future.

'Tis a pity though that they've decided to close down the business and each move on in life in different directions, which we understood was due to unsustainability of the business. It's indeed a loss to the escape room scene locally to have one less player in the arena, and a star player at that.

I would nonetheless like to thank the team behind Encounter for devising this room and experience and allowing us to share in this (fortunately just before they, like the family, disappear for good) and wish them all the best in their future endeavours. Though I must also make a complaint that thanks to this room, our expectations of what escape rooms should be like have been changed irrevocably and it may be some time before we find another room which can meet this new benchmark! OK, am just kidding about that.

For those of you who haven't paid this place a visit before, I would urge you to do so before they shut their doors for good. A word of caution for the more faint-hearted among you, it helps to bring a friend. Or friends for that matter.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed August 19, 2017

Staff are very friendly throughout our whole experience there. Went for "The Cruise" puzzle are quite okay, its more than just finding number and unlocking number locks. Overall experience is great, would definitely head back there to try the other escape room theme.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed July 23, 2017

My group was greeted by the game master with "You're late." During the game, she didn't monitor our progress so when we asked for help, we had to explain everything we had done for her, eating into our time. While the decor in "the Hospital" room looked like a hospital, the puzzles were not logical and didn't make any sense. Once we finished the game, the game master's only concern was how we were going to pay. We left feeling deflated about our experience. We're experienced escape room players and Encounter was one of the worst in terms of customer experience we've ever played. Not worth the high cost.

Date of experience: July 2017
2  Thank nomado
Reviewed July 9, 2017 via mobile

I went to The Hospital around May for my birthday Celebration. I guess the scariet part of the game is the not the game itself. We were slightly late and reached 5 minute later as we couldn't find parking around the area. We were told by the staff to wait till 1015pm for the next game when we have booked the 815pm. After some persuasion, she agreed to let us take the 915pm slot( couldn't imagine if she want us to wait for 2 hours in geylang hood) The game was quite alright at the first part of the game. It gets very illogical towards the end. The staff was really very rude when we asked her for clue. towards the end of the game. When we have finally escaped the room, she was standing there staring at us with a blank stare and we thought she was the missing main character of the game. Feeling confused
We asked if we have solved the game and what was the whole plot of the game and her reply was really epic. She replied with a sarcastic tone and asked us to email the admin team to ask them about the plot.
I think she should be casted as a character of the game. With her cold stare and terrifying and nonchalant reply. We really thought we are in a real life haunted game.

Date of experience: May 2017