“Superior room = Crappy beds”
Review of Hotel 81-Bugis

Hotel 81-Bugis
Ranked #237 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Canberra
“Superior room = Crappy beds”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Years and years ago, I booked Hotel 81 in Bencoolen and found that despite the budget prices and supposed shady undergoings, the beds weren't too bad at least. If all I was doing is needing a place to stay, I could handle the shady undergoings without thinking too much about it.

I needed a place to stay for 2 weeks. I booked a Superior room, looking for slightly more comfort than the usual room to sleep in.

Pros:
Location
Awesome looking room (top floor, high ceiling, and a "view" to boot)
loved the bath room
Meticulous cleaners (to a degree)

Cons:
Thin walls & doors. Could hear every single thing everyone wanted to say/do.
First time I walked in, the toilet smelt of faeces.
awful pillow
Slow lifts
No drive way or a semblance of it (awkward to offload/load luggages to cabs).
bed is HARD AS A WALL.- worst thing ever. By the end of 2 weeks, our backs were sore from sleeping on that "table". We were so glad to even sleep on the plane back home. considering that we just needed a place to stay between going out and doing stuff, that was a horrible thing to do to us. Sure, you're a budget hotel. but I know of places who sell softer/springier lousy beds for real cheap!

In the end, the beds were the killer. I was there to arrange my dad's funeral and I was hoping for some physical respite at least. But other than my fatigue knocking me out, the bed really gave me no rest to the point where I was hurting.

For similar price range, Hotel Ibis in Bencoolen would have been a better choice.

Room Tip: Superior Deluxe rooms are still better worth the price than the cheaper ones, if not for the fact th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Reviewed June 6, 2013

i dont mind if the room is small thats expected for a budget hotel but front desk staff pls be more friendly.smile can? Smile
not difficult its free omg so unfriendly and u approachable. Cleaners are friendly. Sent the front desk staff for hospitality course. Oh nevermind that they are paid so little to worl there but behave like they are earning s$5k permth.low mentality. Wasted my $

• Stayed June 2013

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Tangerang, Indonesia
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I will make it short; location wise is perfect only 15 minutes walk to nearest MRT Station, room is clean and good enough. Staffs are okay too (thank you for adjusting my room temperature everyday)

No breakfast and thin wall is the only downsize. But everything worked out well when we were there. No complain about the size of the room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We spent two nights in this modest hotel. It’s nicely located about five minutes walk from Bugis Junction where there are many shops, food courts and the MRT train.

In typical Singapore style, the shower sprays water over the toilet and most of the bathroom. The room itself was musty and stale.

Tip: ask housekeeping for extra towels to put on the floor after using the shower.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RichardAustralia
London
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Singapore has become horribly expensive. Space is at a premium, so when you find a cheap hotel in an absolutely prime location you have to expect cramped conditions. At this hotel you get window-less cramped conditions if you book one of the standard rooms.

The chain has a wide network hotels, many in less central, more gritty areas such as Geylang, where rates are even cheaper.

I was fortunate, and was allocated one of the larger, front-facing, windowed rooms. At a small price premium, it would be worth going for this if you want to maintain your sanity over anything longer than a 12-hour stay. I'd arrived at near midnight, but my standard room was not ready .......hmmmmmmm. I paid SGD140 for a standard room, and I think the room I was given sold at about SGD20 more.

You get a lift, aircon, internet access and a bathroom. My room had facilities for making tea and coffee. It was spotlessly clean, as were the towels and bedding. The bed`has a rubberised, easyclean mattress.

The location is brilliant, half a block away from Bugis, where you'll find the MRT station with a direct fifteen minute link to the airport for only three dollars or so. There are tons of cafes and restaurants around.

On the delicate question of rooms by the hour, sure it goes on. And so it does at most of the budget chains in SINcity. The 81 chain is perfectly aware of the sensibilities of tourists, and goes to some lengths to maintain some separation between visitors and short-term users. But you'd need to be extraordinarily innocent, or totally unobservant, not to note what is going on.

If you are shocked by the notion, you might think along the lines that Singaporeans are not blessed with space, many unmarried young people live with their families, so short-term rooms serve a useful purpose beyond prostitution.

Room Tip: Splurge - go for the superior rooms, larger than the standards and equipped with windows!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SwissFella
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed January 29, 2013

A Singaporean girl I met during one of my trips recommended me this place, and after checking it out on tripadvisor and making sure that it met our needs, and that everything looked ok, I booked it. When we arrived they gave us a room on the third floor, but even though it had no windows, what drove us to ask for a change was the unbearable cigarette stench. We were then given room 512 that had a window and made the small room's area seem larger. During our stay we noticed that at all times during the day there were women with a certain sketchy air and attire walking in or waiting for men in the 'hotel's' main entrance. We began to suspect that this so-called hotel served the purposes of that pertaining to a motel's.

On our second evening, around 11 PM, we walked in and saw that one of these characters was waiting outside the main entrance and approached the front desk when the man she was waiting for arrived. I have an understanding of mandarin, and managed to hear that he was requesting a room for 1 hour. The man at the front desk replied that the cost was 500. After paying, the man lead the woman to the elevator and we saw them get out on the third floor. When we arrived to our room we called the front desk and asked in a subtle manner how much it cost if we passed the check-out time, to which he replied that the cost per extra hour was 15 USD (the equivalent exchange to the 500 that we had heard in the previous conversation downstairs). I called again and said that I was extremely upset that the information the hotel provided in the media and social networks corresponded to that of a hotel's, when it was now clear to me that it was a motel. He replied that the fifth floor was exclusively for over-night guests and that the third floor was the only one offered for hourly check-ins. I grew even more upset, telling him that what he was saying made it even worse since we were given at first a room on the third floor. After confirming what we had imagined, the thought of having had to stay at one of these rooms where sketchy activities such as these take place, still disgusts me.

I am unwilling to believe that this place harbors this kind of doings, even-more so since it is part of the 'Hotel 81' chain hotels. Nevertheless when putting the pieces together of what I observed and heard from guests and staff during my stay, I am uncertain of what to believe and will write a formal complaint to the Hotel 81's headquarters. My advice: do not stay here and put yourself in this position to have to find it out by yourself.

Room Tip: Simply avoid at all costs to stay here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank NofSE
Reviewed December 6, 2012

we shared supposed Double room for three person.converted the sofa into a bed. for SGD 358/2nights/3 person its a grest value. the toilet is super small...imagine 2mx2m toilet but everything is there. all in all good value for money...but for me i wished my shower place a bit more spacious. FREE WIFI TOO.

• Stayed December 2012