“Did Not Experience The Much Reviewed WOW Factor At All”

Regency House by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #31 of 230 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Sydney, Australia
“Did Not Experience The Much Reviewed WOW Factor At All”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family and I (4 adults) stayed at the Regency House Singapore (RGS) for 10days during the first leg of our 20days holiday trip to Singapore and Thailand (Bangkok & Koh Samui). We booked one of their 2 bedroom apartment. The period of our stay was 02 to 12 Feb 2013.
Note:
Please refer to my other 2 reviews on the Bangkok and Koh Samui accommodations on Trip Advisor.

The RHS is a serviced apartment establishment and not a hotel. It’s one of ten serviced residences (9 in Singapore/ 1 in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia) owned and operated by the Far East Hospitality Group.

We were please with the complimentary transfer from Singapore Changi airport to RHS. This is included in the booking rate without our request. So it was a pleasant surprise when informed by their booking confirmation email. Although we were ex Singapore residents and know our way around there, getting met and driven to RHS in a very comfortable 7seaters MPV upon flying in still beats catching a taxi. That's one brownie point for them.
Note: Complimentary airport transfer is one way only. Departure transfer to airport is at the guest own expense.

The RHS lobby is pleasantly furnished with the front desk reception located in the center of it. For security reason the main entrance doors are locked after midnight and entry access is by an electronic swipe card (the same one as that for the apartment). On the far end of the lobby is a hot beverage/cookie counter. Guest can make a cup of coffee or tea with a (capsule) coffee machine and snack on some chocolate chip cookies. There also daily newspaper to read while having that cuppa.

The check-in was efficiently handled (thanks Edward). The check-in staff then accompanied us to the apartment to give a quick tour of it and explained the operation of key electrical appliance (ie TV and Cable SetTop Box).
By the time we got into our assigned apartment (Apt 204), all our luggage are already there ready for us to unpack and get settled in. Efficiency.

Apt 204 is of course on the 2nd floor. It’s also facing the busy main road running in front of the RHS building. I was alerted to the fact that apartment facing this main road (Penang Road) “is noisy” by a previous Trip Advisor review on RHS and had emailed them to request for an apartment facing away from it. Unfortunately they had not accommodated my request. Naturally I was slightly disappointed and apprehensive (abt the traffic noise) upon check-in. But fair enough, my experience with hotels (I haven’t stayed with service apts before) is they don’t often make too much of an effort to meet their customers request on room preferences….not unless if you are a regular guest, staying in a VIP room or it’s a 6 star establishment.
However, much to our delight the worry about any traffic noise permeating into the apt is quite unfounded. They have done a pretty good job in whatever glazing they did with the glass windows. We WERE NOT disturbed by any traffic noise at all.

The apartment is clean and its furnishings are functional, adequate and comfortable. They are not luxurious but instead have the “like being at home” feel. That can be a plus factor for their guest on long term leases, this feeling of being home away from home. In fact I had noticed during my stay one of the long term guest was even allowed to keep two large breed pet dogs in their apt.
Only one minor issue was encountered. The master bedroom ensuite shower cubicle drainage is quite inadequate to the extend of causing a “mini flood” and leaving one standing in abt 20mm of sud water during shower. I decided to use the shower in the other bathroom instead after the first day.
No, I did not bother to inform any of the RHS staff about that.

The housekeeping staff is friendly, helpful and does a good job.
It’s my view that the housekeeping staffs of a hotel are their unsung heroes and quiet achievers. It’s no different with the one in RHS who is assigned to do the housekeeping of Apt204.

The main common facilities are the gym, swimming pool and breakfast lounge, all on the top level (10th floor). The gym is small, minimally equipped and under-used. The swimming pool is in an open area. It’s quite a nice pool and very inviting in the oppressive heat and humidity of the Singapore climate. But unfortunately I had not swim in it once in my entire 10days stay. At the far end of the pool area is a BBQ where guest can use.
The breakfast lounge (converted from a previous apartment) seats about 25-30 people. Any “spill over” can be seated at the pool side just outside of it. But most of the time there are empty seats around whenever I’m there. I had only had breakfast there 3 times during my entire stay. Breakfast time starts at 6:30am (I think) and ends at 10:30am. The breakfast lounge is managed and run quite efficiently by two ladies (Auntie Alice and her friend). Auntie Alice who seem to be the “teamleader” is very engaging and strikes up conversations with her guests easily. We enjoyed the many engaging and candid conversations we had with her.

The buffet style breakfast spread is not elaborate and consist of the staples such as breads, cereals, muffins, pastries and whatever style eggs that the aunties whip up.
This (ie simple breakfast spread) is actually good since Singapore is a foodie’s heaven and having a big breakfast does contribute to ruining one’s lunch time appetite. And that would be a shame.

What we like most about RHS is its location. It’s practically in the midst of Singapore main tourist shopping area, ie Orchard. So all the malls (eg Orchard Central, 313, Plaza Singapura etc) and restaurants are all within walking distances from it.

Also it’s only a 5 minutes walk to the Dohby Ghaut station of the MRT (Singapore subway system) which provide a very cheap and efficient (but over-crowed) mode of transport to the other parts of this island state.

The one major dissatisfaction that I have with the RHS is the holding deposit upon check-in which I had already been advised of when confirming our booking. This is either payable in cash or by credit card when checking in for the stay. It’s refunded when the guest checks out. In our case it amounted to SGD1000.00 (abt 18% of our total 10days stay rate) and is actually debited against our credit card account.
In all the hotels that I have stayed with in my travels the credit card is only “swiped” for any potential incidentals charge. No amount is actually debited. When I asked, RHSs’ reply essentially was they being a service residence is different from hotel. I didn’t consider that an explanation at all, except it could be likened to a rental bond.

The obvious benefit to RHS by so doing is they are putting themselves in a favorable position should a dispute arises on charges payment with the guest. This may be an accepted practice with their guests who are on long term leases. But for short stay guest we are disadvantaged since there is an (2%) overseas transaction charge and (1-4 weeks) waiting time for the deposit refund to be credited back by our credit card provider.

Overall our 10days stay at the RHS can be described as pleasant and comfortable but not delightful. We certainly did not experience the “overwhelming warmth and friendliness” from all staffs as was often reported by the very many other Trip Advisor reviewers before us. There was just polite helpfulness. Hence for us there was no elusive WOW factor that every traveler craves for in a hotel/serviced residence.

So it’s 4star from us.

Kewlmeister
Sydney Australia

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kewlmeister
ChristinaWLee, Manager at Regency House by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear kewlmeister,

Thank you for sharing your review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay at Regency House.

We strive to ensure that all our guests are made to feel at home and are regretful that you did not experience the WOW factor that so many of our guests have talked about.

We have shared your feedback with the team.

We would like to apologise for the inconvenience arising from the credit card exchange and transaction time. The security deposit is collected as a safeguard against damage and owing payment from other charges. Unfortunately, the typical “hold” is released by the bank after a few days whereas our guests stays are at least 1 week and above.

We thank you for your feedback and we hope that we will be able to have another opportunity to be of service to you in the near future.

Warmest regards, Chris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Oxenford, Australia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My family of five (3 Boys Wife And Myself) loved staying at this delightfull fully serviced hotel it was ony one block away from Orchard Ave where the main shopping precinct is. The staff are just fantastic and all ways helpfull and very polite. When we arrived there was even a basket full of goodies waiting for us in our room, such a nice surprise. A special mention must go to Ginly Lim one of the duty managers she could not do enough to help us. The boys are already asking when can we go back and see Ginly again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the hotel as the front rooms face Penang Rd which can be a little n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dale4wd
ChristinaWLee, Manager at Regency House by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Dale4wd,

We are glad to hear of your wonderful stay at Regency House

We will pass on your compliments to Ginly who I am sure will be delighted to be recognised for her customer service skills.

Once again, thank you for your heartening review of Regency House and team.

We definitely look forward to having another opportunity to be of service to you again.

Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We are recent expats and our company put my family up at the Regency House. At first I thought, a hotel with a 2 year old and four year old? However, this was an excellent transition point for us as we settled into our new life here. We stayed in a two bedroom room, and it was more spacious than similar accommodations in the States, with 2 separate rooms, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchen and living area. The cleaning staff (mostly Susan) was excellent in keeping the room fresh even after my two darlings had gone to town! Ginly at the front desk was instrumental in getting our room switched to one with a bathtub early on in 6 week stay, which was a huge help since my little ones cannot do a shower very well. We also had a medical emergency with my two year old on a day when I did not have even my passports with us (long story!) but Ginly remained calm, grabbed the copies she had, and escorted us to the medical clinic down the street, staying with me to make sure I was able to see a doctor quickly and understand his instructions. For someone with small children in a new country, it was incredible reassuring to know that I could count on the staff of the hotel for anything! Thessa was also very helpful and friendly, and noticing that we received a birthday package for my daughter, brought it to the attention of the manager Ms. Lee. We came home to a surprise birthday cake and balloons for my little girl's big day. We were so touched! The security staff, especially Zeva and Peter, always hustled to help my get the stroller through the doors, and were quick to offer apples (and sneak sweets) to my girls as we organized for the day. The ladies on the tenth floor who run the breakfast were quite gracious and helpful with my little ones, always coming by our table to say good morning and give high fives. We happened to be there for Chinese New Year, and everyone made very sure that we would be prepared for the general shut down, and the Lion Dance and luncheon they organized a few days later was fantastic! The girls loved it! Everything the other reviews have said about location, being close to MRT and shopping is true, but the best part of this place is the team of wonderful people who will look after you during your stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MooreC126
ChristinaWLee, Manager at Regency House by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear MooreC126,

Thank you for your enthusiastic review and it is indeed a pleasure to read about your enjoyable experience at Regency House.

The staff will be delighted to know of your compliments for them and this will further encourage them to deliver exceptional service to our guests.

Our best wishes to you and your family.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

What a right time to visit Singapore!
It was during the Chinese New Year and we were fortunate to be able to immerse ourselves in the local culture.
During our stay, Regency House had organized a lion dance performance which we will not forget.
Everything was great... From the apartments, the facilities, the location and of course, the excellent staff!
Will definitely be back... And will not he suite to recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2013
ChristinaWLee, Manager at Regency House by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Jodiharper,

Thank you for your positive review.

We are delighted to know that you had a superb stay with us.

We look forward to having another oppurtunity to host you again for yet another memorable experience at Regency House.

Kuala Belait, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 8 nights over the Christmas period in Dec 12. Was with my family of 6 and took the 3 bedroom apartment on the top floor where the pool and breakfast lounge is. The apartment was amazing, clean and spacious. Given that the apartment cost us around S$450 per night it was amazing value for Singapore.

The apartment is location conveniently at the end of Orchard road between Orchard Central and Plaza Singapura.

I fully recommend this place for families staying in Singapore for a week or more.

Wifi is included and super fast. Cable TV was ok but did not have football channels. Easily remedied by a trip to the Irish pub next door!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Marc283
ChristinaWLee, Manager at Regency House by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Marc283,

Thank you for your encouraging review on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to know that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed the convenience of our location.

You may like to know that the football channels are available complimentary under the MIO channel at Regency House. I apologise if you had trouble assessing them.

Once again, thank you for your recommendation on us and we look forward
to welcoming you back for another positive experience

Darwin, Australia
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed at Regency house in a 3 bedroom apartment for 7 days with 4 friends in February 2013 and found it to be a most enjoyable experience. The staff are all polite, friendly and helpful and the room was clean, spacious and comfortable. In addition to excellent staff and good rooms, Regency House is within 500 m of 2 MRT stations and many shopping centers.

I would be pleased to stay there again and give it my highest recommendation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank RickG87
Dear RickG87,

Thank you for your excellent review about Regency House.

We are glad that you enjoyed the location. We are also highly appreciative of your recognition towards our staff who are only too glad to have provided you with a wonderful stay experience.

We definitely look forward to being your preferred accomodation on your next Singapore visit.

Karratha
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Our first trip to Singapore started with a very friendly welcome from Regency House. We stayed in a great 2 bedroom apartment at Regency House. It was a home away from home with everything you could possibly need. The complimentary WiFi was a huge bonus for the kids.

We were welcomed with a lovely basket of goodies, really nice touch. The coffee and 'nibbles' in the Lobby was unexpected, much more than I'd expected.

All staff we had dealings with throughout the week were most helpful and extremely friendly. A credit to them, would definitely stay again.

Loved the complimentary breakfast, so nice not to have to worry about at least one meal a day.

Location, location, location..... everything nearby or if not then buses & train were just as close to get you wherever you wish to go. Loved the 'Tourist' shuttle to Sentosa, great idea!!

Would definitely recommend and would not hesitate to return ourselves.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DardsKta
ChristinaWLee, Manager at Regency House by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear DardsKta,

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us. It is always heartening to know that the quality of the facilities and standard of service is enjoyed and appreciated by our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Regency House.