“Basic Clean Lodge”
Review of Penta Hotel

Penta Hotel
Ranked #224 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is strictly a lodge where one could sleep take a bath & get out to explore the city. The place is ideal for people from Indian subcontinent.......so many options to eat (very important for people with family & restricted diets & budget) + the place is right across mustafa center - 24 hrs shopping......further if you run out of sing $ you could also exchange in Rs.
The room we had selected online - family room was more of a pigeon hole. Things were fine after we shifted in to the deluxe room.
The front office guy - Raince (hope I have spelt it correct) along with the other elderly lady were very helpful in giving us directions/ cheapest - fastest modes of travels / routes to different sites in Singapore
The 3rd front office guy - bald one ( didn't bother to ask his name) was the most rudest of any front office staff I have ever met.......he didn't let go of any opportunity of shouting & insulting customers

Room Tip: Pls. avoid family room, preferable stay in deluxe room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kapilsm

Reviewed September 8, 2012

I wasin this hotel with ma family(My wife & two sons) on 2nd & 3rd September 2012.(3D/2N).
TheRooms & bath rooms are resonably clean.The Hotel building is old. The hotel staff trying their best to keep the hotel in good shape. The two ladies in front desk are very helpfull. The hotel is situsted in front of Mustafa center and very close to City Square Mall. Since the Farreer Park MRT is very close to the hotel traveling is very easy.
AS other budgeted hotels in Singapore this hotel rooms too are small.Compare to other budgeted hotels their over priced.But nothing to complane.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Rohan R
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Have stayed now maybe 10 times here over the last few years. Most rooms are very clean, not smelly. Minimalistic rooms, but everything works, especially TV and air con are ok. Free WiFi, very close to Farrer Park MRT, very close to Mustafa's Emporium, very close to many famous restaurants such as Mutu's Curry, Apollo, Komala Vila, and so many more. Very hot and cold drinking water fountain in the floor, thermos bottle in the room. Don't expect much service - besides safety lockers and luggage storage, this is a budget hotel, and budget hotels cannot give much more service. Chinese run and managed, but being in Little India has of course mainly central Asian guests. Best of my knowledge, you cannot book any rooms via any hotel room booking engine, only directly. Call them to make a booking as they may not accept walk in customers (probably too many walk in customers have interests in mind not in line with their operation as a proper hotel for overnight purposes - they are not interested in hourly room rental customers). Room costs from S$ 75 single no window to 130 family room with many optinos in between - I prefer a double with window at S$ 100 / night - been the same prices for the last 3 years. Go their website to find most current details. Other budget hotels are as minimalistic but cost more, have less heart even, and are seldom in a better location.

Room Tip: rooms with window tend to be nicer and bigger - the various prices of the room reflect exactly what...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Martin S
Reviewed August 1, 2012

the lady receptionist were quite rude, she doesn't show respect to the customers and i heard her talking loudly to the customer early in the morning.. the room is small and old..this will be my last stay i guess

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank tourist1223
Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

The reason why we stayed at Penta Hotel was because it was within our budget and they allow smoking inside the rooms. For S$100 nett / night, we got a private double room with all the needed amenities (own shower & toilet, AC, comfortable & big enough double bed, daily cleaning, tv). The room might seem small for some but it was enough to store 2 luggages and for a place to rest at night. Service was good for what you pay for - room and toilet were cleaned and replenished with basic toiletries daily, free wifi, no ref inside the room, no restaurant/cafe in the hotel, no bell boy but they help out with the luggage when they can, no safe but we didn't lose a single thing while we were there, staff were friendly and helpful enough when we asked for directions & suggestions.
The best thing about it was the location. MRT is just at the end of the street, mustafa 24-hour store & money changer as well as 7-11 was just on the next block, right at the heart of little india but on a quiet and not-so-busy street if you don't prefer the hustle and bustle of the locality, there's also City Square Mall 2 blocks away with a decent foodcourt, kopitiam, and all the usual shopping establishments.
All in all, our stay at Penta was worth every penny, you really get what you pay for. We will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Located just a stone throw away from Farrer park MRT, this hotel is moderately priced when compared to rest of the hotels in Singapore and the room was decent but outdated got a family room facing the Farrer park which was a plus and food would not be a problem since lot of hotels available nearby Mustafa center.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank KarthikeyanTK
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I stayed in Penta Hotel in mid April 2012 with my family. We were a a big group and stayed in no window rooms. On a positive note, staff at the reception were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a very good location as it is next door to the Farrell Park MRT and few mints walk to Mustafa centre and busy indian restaurants. So I will give 5 stars for the location!!

Rooms were small, but we payed only $90 per double room per night. It served our purpose as we only went to the room at night to sleep and were out by first thing in the morning as the purpose of visit to Singapore was sight seeing. Double bed is slightly smaller than an average double bed. Rooms were cleaned every day and tied up by the time we got back in the evening. Bathroom was clean and had hot water. Do not expect luxury facilities, but for what you pay in Little india, this is decent hotel.

THIS IS A BIT I AM SO ANNOYED WITH AND I WANT EVERY TRAVELLER TO SINGAPORE AND ESPECIALLY TO THIS HOTEL TO KNOW.

I booked a 10 seater van from the following company- name of the company- Doctor Transport, General Manager Al farid Khan, tel 98224405, email doctor transport@gmail.com while I was walking in Little india.. He agreed $35 which is the standard amount to travel from Little india to the airport if you hire a van. He told us that if we book through the hotel, it will cost $45 and he will do us for $35!
he arrived to pick us on time and while we were loading our luggages, I saw him talking to the woman at the reception ( a chinese woman in her may be mid 40s-50s). Both of them came to me and asked me to pay $45 to the reception. I then said the agreed price was $35. They both said that is not true and hotel charges $10 on top of the $35 charge!! I could not believe how the van driver was blatantly lying in front of me having agreed for $35 the previous day. It was very clear that the woman at the reception wanted a cut from this hire. I was so annoyed and i said that we do not want the van and we will hire a different van. Then they said that we have to pay $30 cancellation charge which was a big lie to put us under pressure. I have to say that spoilt my holiday in Singapore as we had a great time until this moment. I could not believe the dishonesty of these people and putting us under so much pressure to earn $10 extra which was clear a dirty way of earning money!!!
As we were getting ready to leave to go to the airport, i did not have energy to argue or call the police!! which i should have done. I ended up paying extra $10 and went in that van to the airport. I am not bothered about that extra $10 i paid!! It is the malicious attempt by the hotel staff member ( the chinese woman at the reception) and the van driver (details above) who tried to make extra money out of us!!!! SO BE CAREFUL AND BE VERY CLEAR WHEN YOU HIRE VANS LIKE THIS. A friend mine told me that i should have called the police, i regret not doing that!!!

Room Tip: Please read my review about the the problem i got into!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family