“Great stay”

Le Grove Serviced Apartments
Ranked #60 of 244 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This was my first stay at Le Grove but my parents who frequently travel to Singapore have stayed here repeatedly. Normally in a two bedroom, but there were 6 of us this time so we rented the 3-bedroom-3 bath.

The goods:
- Two bedrooms have en-suite bathrooms attached while the third bedroom has a smaller bathroom outside. Considering the importance of space is in Singapore, the place feels very spacious and homey. It actually reminds me of a nice three bedroom condo in a nice suburb in the US. The bedrooms by no means gigantic, but they are nicely decorated and the good use of space doesn't make you feel cramped. All of us had 2 giant rolling suitcases and we were able to fit them all in perspective bedrooms with no problems.

- Fast internet. I will get back to the issue of the internet later, but for now, let's focus on the speed. We had no interrupted service during our stay. Wifi worked great even with 5 iPads-laptops being used at the same time, which included a movie streaming.
- good sized kitchen for those days you are sick of eating out (which seriously never happened when I am on vacation)

- nice amenities such as pool, gym facility. We took advantage of both and were pleased at the cleanliness of both. The gym is tiny with two treadmills, one elliptical and one bike machine for the lure of me I couldn't figure out how to use the 4 days I was there. Weights are also available. My only complaint about the gym would be the stuffiness of it. It is located in a basement type of room so there are no windows and when not being used, the air conditioner isn't on, so it gets really stuffy in there. Other than that, it is workable.

- free shuttle bus to town. I'll get to the location a bit later, but having this feature is a nice added value as taking a taxi to Orchard Rd does add up after awhile.

Can be improved:
- washer-dryer combo included which was a plus. However, I personally had never heard of a washing machine that's also a dryer so it took us a few tries to get it work. It would have been nice to include a direction on how to use. Not to mention, the trouble of locating a market that actually sold laundry detergent (no seriously!), so it would be nice to have such included.

- location - I personally have a mixed feeling about the location. I think it's nice that it's not on the busy part of the town (and you know how crazy busy Singapore can get), but it is also a pain to get back to after a long day of sightseeing or shopping (boy, Singapore sure has a lot of shopping!). You can try to walk but honestly,it's quite a hike up from Orchard Rd. My sixty year old parents had no problem doing so daily though which embarrassed me to no end as I preferred taxi.

- free continental breakfast daily except weekend or national holiday is a nice feature to have but honestly, I was "meh" about it. Everything that should be cold aka milk would be sitting out lukewarm for I don't know how long. I don't believe milk should be out in room temperature for that long. I ended up avoiding things like cereal for fear of getting sick, which left me with not a lot of choices. The spread included curry buns that were always the first to go and never got refilled, dinner rolls, donuts, fruits, yogurt (another thing sitting out in a luke warm temperature) and selections of cereals. I did however appreciate the espresso machine. We are a group of non-functioning people pre-coffee.

Need improvements:
- since we are on the coffee subject, why isn't there drinkable coffee in the apartment itself? We got two tiny instant package coffee daily which were not drinkable with one sugar package and sometimes not refilled. For six dwellers, two instant coffee and one sugar package to share is unacceptable! Perhaps the downstairs espresso machine was to make up for it? But you don't have access to that on a weekend so you are stuck with the disgusting coffee.

- I've mentioned the fast wifi above. It still boggles my mind how some hotels still require their guests to pay for wifi. My parents paid for it so I don't know how much additional per day they are charging for it. But seriously, if shopping malls give you free wifi, shouldn't a place you are actually paying to stay at include that feature too?

-Why so stingy on the shampoo and body soap bottles? They really take the saving resources to the next level as we ran out of shampoo and soap and they weren't refilled.

- staff is a hit or miss. Actually, we encountered more miss than hit, which was unfortunate.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay. A good place for a group, especially. For the amount of $$ spent for a group our size, we would be spending a lot more for sure. I am giving it a 4 out if 5 which is quite high for me as the annoyances are nothing but little annoyances that may just be because of my OCD-ness (with exception of the staff's friendliness, which I think is a must in the hospitality industry!).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank SnowPrincess1206

Reviewed December 19, 2013

The apartment's location was ideal for family, not too far from Orchard Road (walking distance) and yet away from the noise. Staffs were pleasant and it's like a home away from home. The bus shuttle is a bonus and this accommodation add comforts to our travel. It's clean and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Michelle T
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We stayed at Le Grove from 23-27 Nov. We were 2 families with a small kid. I chose this apartment 1) based on favorable Tripadvisor recommendations 2) The price it offered for two families. As far as price is concerned - it was as good as taking two separate hotel rooms & you get a kitchen, living room & a storage as a plus.

Pros are - 1) Spacious 2) Clean 3) Walking distance from Stevens road Bus Station - you get Bus no. 190 - for orchard, flyer, somerset etc & 105 - to botanical gardens (though the hotel shuttle is far more convenient to take save the frequency) 4) Few options of service apartments for short stay 5) Home away from home as you can do self catering, laundry etc which is very comfortable when you have a 2 year old 5)Though we were given a room at ground floor but there was never any noise issue

Cons - 1) No MRT nearby, orchard road is good 1 km away 2) Staff is professional, courteous but not friendly 3) Breakfast is limited - you get bored after a day 4) Wifi is chargeable - not sure why they don't club it in

We booked through HSBC's Agoda website & got a 7% extra discount. I haven't tried any hotel in Singapore but I'm sure if you have 4+ people than this option is far more suitable than a hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rggg
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We have been to Singapore a couple of times before and we always stayed traditionally in a hotel room. This time we decided to choose an apartment and after some research we came to the conclusion that Le Grove Apartments would suit us best. We chose the 2-bedroom apartment.

The apartment was spacious and well-equipped (DVD-player, washer-dryer, flatscreen TV, superb internet connection etc.) and the maids kept it comfortably clean. A/C can be operated with a simple remote to suit your preferred temperature needs. Beds are comfy and made every day and sheets and towels changed frequently. The pool is big enough for swimming laps and was never crowded (usually we were the only ones). The gym is good for some simple exercises away from home. The shuttle service is exceptionally good and the driver (Bobby) is friendly and gives you walking directions from the bus stop to your destination.

We would recommend Le Grove Apartments to anyone visiting Singapore.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Faija
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We chose Le Grove for the well priced two bedroom apartments. The hotel is definitely good value, and walking distance to Orchard Avenue shopping. Perfect for a family stop over in Singapore. But it is not a full service hotel, so you shouldn't expect that. There is a free shuttle and the staff are very courteous. But that doesn't extend to helping you open the door if you are wheeling a suitcase or pushing a pram (in our case both!). But the rooms are very spacious, kitchen very well stocked with utensils etc. Wifi is good and cheap. The pool is nice after a long day shopping. Very kid friendly hotel. Good weekday buffet breakfast. I would recommend this place for the budget conscious family for the space and kitchen convenience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NuNu1980
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We have been to Singapore many times and we have always stayed at Le Grove. The apartments are lovely, we much prefer the option of having somewhere to stay with the facilities of self catering but with the luxury of an hotel, we can cook, do laundry etc but with none of the hassle of having to tidy up! Beds and towels are changed every day, and there is a breakfast served every day except Sunday. There is a lovely pool, tennis courts and there is a bus that runs every hour to take you round Singapore, shops etc. We always took the bus to Raffles for morning coffee! The staff are great, and nothing is ever a problem. Le Grove is situated about 5 minutes from Orchard Road, the main shopping thoroughfare and a short taxi ride to Singapore Botanic Gardens, which are fabulous. All in all a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex are particularly nice