“Go somewhere else, can get an awful lot more for your money elsewhere.....”

Sleepy Sam's Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #161 of 223 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
“Go somewhere else, can get an awful lot more for your money elsewhere.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and it went from bad to worst...arrived after a very long bus journey so when I got to reception and asked about rooms was happy to hear they did still have some beds available ;)
When I asked to look at the room before committing I was told this wouldn't be possible as people were still testing even tho it was 3 o clock....I was shattered myself and really didn't want to carrying backpack any further in the heat so decided to stay and having read previous reviews that it was a good hostel thought the risk would be minimal.
I was wrong, initially walked into the dorm room and I'm surprised they can actually fit that many beds in such a small place, you literally are in top of each other and griping over each others backpacks! Eh I asked where the bathroom wa I was told theirs two upstairs and two downstairs, ok I thought but then relised that everyone else in the hostel is using the same two toilets upstairs so literally the best part of 100 people.....crazy!!!
The aircon is on only in the evenings and not all the beds have a lamp it plugsocket near so you have to get friendly with your neighbor and borrow their!!

The free breakfast is ok, literally tea ad toast ( well warm bread) it's free so can't complain oh and don't buy the zoo tickets if you do make sure you get the ticket without the tram, the zoo isn't that big so unless you really are lazy there really is no need at all!!

The money they ask for is very much for a luxury hostel and this very much isn't ...personally if I was to come back again if pay the extra 2 dollars a night and go o Footprints hostel which is about a 10min walk into little India.
I didn't mange to get a room hense why I stayed for 3 nights but the rooms their were amazing and clean!! They have a big tv / lounge area with DVDs whereas altho sleep sams offers this online it's not actually here when you get here!!

Serious upgrade needed by far the worst hostel I've stayed in and by far the most expensive ... Have been traveling s.e.asia and india for the last 6 months.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Pothers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

As soon as we arrived we were welcomed and made to feel at home. A friend and I stayed in the girls only dorm which was a little cramped but comfortable and clean. Staff were always on hand to help and were very friendly. Good location near to Bugis MRT station. Great free breakfast and cheap drinks/beers available from reception...I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed October 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

If your a backpacker or travelling on the cheap this is the place to be.

Friendly staff, free internet, quiet dorm room, amazing price-per-night for Singapore and lots more.

Situated in Little India it is central to lovely pubs, sis-ha cafes and Asian cuisine restaurants.

Within walking distance of the metro line to centre of the city or the airport.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. I fully recommend this hostel.

Only lost one point as it did not provide free lockers. As I had my own lock it would have been useful to have a locker to store my valuables in. there were a few lockers available but were all occupied while I was there.

Cheers, Brendan

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank brendan_c130788
New Plymouth, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Our double room was small because part of it was taken up by a large square box covering .....what I don't know(service area I guess!)
Mattress was comfortable and the window could be opened but awkward to get at.
Had a walk through the dorm area to get to this private room.
2 showers/toilets upstairs and downstairs so adequate.
Free internet and breakfast. In fact this was a very nice breakfast because you can take it outside to eat on the verander. The street is traffic free but you do hear the call to prayer early morning if you are a light sleeper.
Staff friendly.
Minuses - small room, Mosque noise.
Pluses - breakfast and outdoor area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

We had a reservation at Green Kiwi Backpacker, but the owner told us that they had a problem with the reservation and it was already full, so they transferred us to Sleepy Sams, which now is known as Sleepy Kiwi (both names are still used). They put us in a 4 bett dorm, which had hardly space to turn yourself around, not to mention to put 4 backpacks in the room. They have only 4 toilets and showers for 60 people, which were cleaned once a day!!!! You can also ask them to clean it more often, but they won’t! The other dorms will be sold as 6 or 8 bett dorms, but it is actually 1 huge room with kind of some thin partition panel, sometimes up to the roof, mostly not. This hostel is overpriced and a dirty place. Definitely not recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Having stayed in Sleepy Sam in 2009, my friend and I went back there (August 2012) as we enjoyed our first stay. However, I will have to say that I will not be going back there again as I have bedbugs bite to prove and the staff were so unfriendly !!! There was especially one who kept telling us to take the breakfast dishes back to the kitchen and kept checking to make sure we did! We found the hostel dirty and dusty. Our private room was really dusty and floor was sticky ! No thanks!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MisledinBXL
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

The biggest pros to me are the hygiene and the location. There is nothing worse than being grossed up when having to use the washrooms and this certainly didnt happen to me ar sleepy sams. I read many reports on bedbugs, but neither we nor anyone staying there at the same time we did experienced any, probably they dealt with the matter. Maybe thats also the reason why they changed the name to sleepy kiwi...
Breakfast is nice, internet rather fast. The rooms however are tiny. You will need to leave your bags downstairs so make sure to bring along locks.

• Stayed August 2012