“Dirty facilities and worst service ever”

and 1 more site!
Backpacker Cozy Corner GuestHouse
Ranked #144 of 241 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Reviewed March 5, 2013

There was trouble checking in; the woman at the counter insisted that we had not made any bookings even though it clearly showed in our emails that we had and she said that only dorms were available. She was very rude and unhelpful. Imagine showing up and the staff saying that you didn't make a booking and there's no reservation at all...

Had to share a dorm in the end and guess what, when I got back to my room that night, my blanket and pillow were gone. They ended up on someone else's bed. That morning I told the woman what happened as I was very annoyed (imagine shivering the whole night because I was near the air conditioner) and she told me it was my own fault because I didn't lock up my pillow and blanket. Where was I supposed to lock it? In the small locker next to my bed that only fit my bag? Ridiculous.
Upon hearing this, I went to talk to the people I was sharing the dorm with and told them not to take my pillow and blanket next time. Their response was that they asked the woman if there was anyone sleeping on that bed (which was mine) and she told them there was no one sleeping there! I honestly don't know what she was up to but it was really ridiculous.

The bed wasn't comfortable at all and the room was dirty. It was obviously not cleaned. The free breakfast just consists of bread and coffee - go get a good breakfast elsewhere.

The toilets are all shared and are not segregated into male or female. They were filthy and disgusting. Clumps of hair all over the place and dirt and mud all over the floor. The whole area looks a mess and if you're a girl, just hope that the guy showering next to you won't decide to have a peep into your shower area (i.e. if there is a guy showering next to you).

I have friends in Singapore and they were going to come pick me up. They called the backpackers in an attempt to reach me since I didn't have a Singapore cellphone and the woman that was rude to me answered the phone and apparently told them there was "no such person" there after my friends told her my full name. They repeated and insisted, she repeated and insisted I didn't exist. They finally came down and tried to look for me but the woman would not allow them to go upstairs (where my room was) and told them to wait for me at the "reception" area. They asked the woman to check where I was and she refused, saying that I will come out when I'm ready. My friends got so annoyed they went to the computer area and luckily, I was there. Who knows how long they could have been waiting for me and vice versa if I was in my room.

This place is so dirty it's appalling and there is no service here. Don't bother staying here, there are plenty of other good and cheap places to stay in Singapore. The only good thing is the location - other than that, stay away at all costs.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 02rabbit

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed here in dec 2011. I took private room with 1 bunk bed for 2 person. the room was small but quite clean.
no private bathroom, I even saw an europian grandpa walking around kitchen making a tea only using his towel to cover up his body. feel not really comfortable when I was having my breakfast and seeing something 'not good looking' like that. maybe the staff should've asked him to put on his clothes.

the good thing is location. it's near bugis street, only 5 minutes on walk, 3 minutes to bugis mrt, 10 steps to bus stop and a lot of restaurants down stairs.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dian O
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is my first time staying at this hotel. And my first time ever sharing a room at a hotel with few other guests. In fact I am having fun at this place. The hotel, is very clean, friendly management, and friendly guests.. I already met people from different countries. The rate is very reasonable in comparison to the rates of other hotels in Singapore. I advise those who come to Singapore from Indonesia or other countries to try this hotel and enjoy its cosmopolitan nature..

Room Tip: If you enjoy meeting people from around the world and want to spend little money, this is the place...
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I have been here for several times as this hostel is centrally located in the city thus traveling is convenient for me. Bedside that, the rate is reasonable as they also provide free Wi-Fi and breakfast. Rooms and toilet are consider clean but there is still room for improvement. Staff are also able to provide me with the trave information I needed. Will definitely be back again , thanks for the stay though.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Sam8t
Reviewed February 12, 2013

there is a value for money in this hostel.... i spend here 4 2 weeks and no doubt ive got no problem... free breakfast and wi-fi... nearby malls and hawkers, bus and mrt stations... accomodation is very warm... cleanliness is good.... rooms are ventilated.... if i have a chance to go for a hostel i will choose this 1... god bless to the management and staff.... see you next time.....

1  Thank jonathan0412
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The bathroom facilities at this hostel are not the best. There bathrooms are on each floor and there are no shelves in the shower for toiletries. Also, you need to bring your own toilet paper. There is no lift to this hostel so one flight of stairs to the reception and all the rooms are another level up. It is cheap so there are alot of travellers there and alot of people staying on a temporary arrangement. Unfortunately there was someone in my room who snored all night and it was difficult to sleep. The bunk beds also creak constantly.

4  Thank Take O
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Thanks to a review by a blog, I decided to try for a stay at this place. After spending 3d2n there, I would say that this place is a good place to stay. why?

1. It's at the edge of the city: I prefer to walk around a city rather then taking a ride with public transport. So the location of this hostel helped much with my sightseeing activity, not just around Bugis, but also to Syed Alwi Rd and Marina Bay.

2. Affordable price: Having a 4 bedded room at SGD20 per night, with wifi connection (although it's time limited), air-con and hot shower which in good condition, located in front of Bugis area (with Bugis+, Bugis Junction, Bugis Village and not forgetting a Bugis restaurant under the hostel) for me it's affordable.

3. Kind-hearted owner: They are friendly and helpful as well. Always greet you when they saw you, and very kind to help if you have any requests (of course, only for requests which are possible for them to help).

So all of the above are the reason why you should consider Cozy Corner as a choice for you to try for a stay. But strictly, this is not a place for whoever who would want a place like a 3 to 5 star hotel. Maybe the comfortability is at minimum level, but still, to have a little is better than not having it at all. Besides, it's just a place for a good sleep after spending most of the time outside.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends