“If you're going tight for the meantime” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Backpacker Cozy Corner GuestHouse

Backpacker Cozy Corner GuestHouse
Ranked #149 of 227 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Makati, Philippines
“If you're going tight for the meantime”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed here last January 2012. If you are looking for just a typical place to spend a night living with a tight budget, this is the best place for you. A 55SGD/night for a couple room with free kaya toast, tea and coffee every breakfast will do.

Inside the square couple room, beds, pillows, bedsheets are dirty and unsanitized. Noises are everywhere (people chatting, someone singing, someone laughing, radio playing and slamming of doors).

Toilets are separated from the bathrooms so no problem with that. You just have to wait for your turn if there are many people using them, but there are lots of T&Bs on the second and third floor.

This is the best part for this guesthouse, the location. Very accessible. The guesthouse is just across the Bugis Junction Mall. Restaurants and Cafe's are everywhere from hawker to fine dining. One of my favorite places to eat nearby is the steamboat restaurants along the streets of Beach Road. Ranging from $16-$20 eat all you can buffet (This is the best). When it comes to shopping malls, great finds are also there from bazaars to luxury shopping.

Bugis MRT Station is just a 5 min walk away from the Backpacker Cozy Corner Guest House.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank DadKat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in June last year. I needed a cheap room for two nights so I ended up with this hostel. I reserved a twin private room through their website (cheapest private option available) and after paying a deposit I received a confirmation by email.

The hostel is close to Bugis MRT station, which is very convenient. After check-in, I was assigned a room near the reception counter. The room had no window, had a small desk and chair and there was a bunkbed set with clean sheets. So enough for just sleeping as I would go out for most of the day.

The shared showers, bathrooms and sinks are strangely located next to the eating area. As goes for all shared bathrooms, wear flipflops inside the showers as well. I did not use the free breakfast or the free internet terminals in the hostel, as you can find many eating options outside the hostel (local cuisine and fastfood joints), as well as a large internetcafe with fast internet connection a few blocks away at the opposite side of North Bridge Road.

Overall my stay was fine, you really get what you pay for here so no complaints from my side. So if you're looking for a bed and a shower at a good rate in a central location and don't mind the backpacking youngsters, go here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BackPackMaluku
Bandung, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

Just look elsewhere if you can. If you run out of money and this place is your only salvation then it is ok.
Otherwise, pick other place. The bathroom is very poor, if you want to take a bath, you can not hang your stuff at the door. The aircon is rest in peace, and there is nothing the staff can do about it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Arif P

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

The cheapest that we could find... Dorm up at the top where we slept was o.k. temperature wise and some mattresses are really worn so you will feel the springs. Some of the employees walk around checking on things occasionally which is good but I felt like I was being watched? Breakfast is toast and coffee or tea but it's next to the bathroom so it's weird when people pass with towels on or knowing your dishes and food are in close proximity to the bathrooms. I saw the employees dismantling and rebuilding beds and moving mattresses around (not sure why). They have CCTV cameras around which is good but they give a strong warning and have multiple fliers posted reminding everyone to watch your stuff. There are also fliers posted about keeping sleeping bags off the beds which is a good reminder to prevent bed bugs but....

It's been about 1 week since I left the hotel, maybe less and I have bed bug bites appearing. Not sure where I got them but this is one of the places I've stayed in the past week. Totally sucks, wish I knew where I got them...just wanted to inform other travelers that bed bugs COULD be lurking in the dorm upstairs. :(

Room Tip: Check the mattresses or for any other reports from travelers possibly getting bed bugs.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank warcloud
Gandhinagar, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

Its very budget hostel and provides value for money. I stayed during Aug 2009 for 2 Nights and it was worth it. Though they are very punctual in timing for check-out, however you can keep your luggage at Reception and it is completely safe.

Rooms basically sharing bed accommodation are very dark without any natural light option. And due to which on last day i got up very late and my plan was hampered, however no complaints as it was my mistake on not waking up on time on alarm.

Internet was free however only 3 PC were available so you need to manage among it. The location is very nice and convenient. Get down from MRT and you will head to the hostel. Also since its located in centre... market and other places is also very near with walkable distance.

P.S: Since drop down doesnt have a option to Select Aug 2009, i am selecting traveling date as April 2011.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Pasig, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

we stayed here for 1 night, the room was clean, a/c was working, breakfast consisted of toast, jam, margarine, coffee, and tea. shared bathrooms so bring shower slippers! they advertise free wifi but for some reason none of the staff know what the password is, so we just ended up using one of the 3 communal pc's. pretty ok overall.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

We surfed on the internet and found this hostel which is considerably cheaper than other hostels. It is also a easy-to-find hostel where only 5mins walk from Bugis station with a lot of food stalls and shopping malls around. However, it's the end of the good news.

We met some friends from Singapore and they brought us to the hostel. When we'd like to check-in to the reception, the lady staff asked us rudely if we had paid the 1st night deposit. We said we had paid but she didn't seem to get it and asked us "i ask again if you had paid or not." (N.B. I travelled a few English-speaking places and had never encountered this problem before). I felt that I was suspected that I skipped the deposit and lied.

When we planned to leave just after putting in our luggage in the room, she was like commanding my friends to wait and sit in front of the reception ONLY (by the word she stressed), not even standing up. And said "Here's a lot of CCTVs checking on you"

We stayed 2 nights in double room but both nights were horrible. The bed sheet and pillow cases were not clean at all and we could still find some hairs attached. The blankets were not clean either so we ended up using bathing towels instead. Still, we were sleeping sweating throughout the nights because the A/C was not working properly, it spewed out hot air instead of cool air even though we'd set it to 18˚C. On the first night stay, it rained in the evening throughout the night, and water was dripping everywhere from the water pipes that goes through the room (as shown in pics). We couldn't sleep at all because the bed was wet and the air in the room was very humid. It was not even dried by the time we check-out (same time as the pics taken).

The pantry was located at the first floor and next to the toilets and bathrooms so we can see ppl wrapped with towel when we were eating toast.

Room Tip: Any other room than Room No.35 double room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple