“Staff make you feel at home & provide you a 5 star service.”
Review of Hotel Kai

Hotel Kai
Ranked #112 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Staff make you feel at home & provide you a 5 star service.”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I've never seen a staff that is so dedicated to their work as in this Hotel. They read your mind and provide you what you need without having to ask for it, making you feel at home. Excellent hospitality ! .

Thank you all especially Douglas , CoCo, Lance and sorry for the ones I didn’t get a chance to get their names.
Concerning the Hotel :
Pros : Location, Clean , Quiet, Modern , Comfortable adjustable beds (like in Hospitals) , Quick Wi-Fi , Complementary Bikes, Complementary portable Wi-Fi router which is very handy if you depend on Google maps to get around the city by BUS, comforting breakfast just like in home(nothing fancy or weird), very safe .

Cons: No privacy in the bathroom (not for honey moons), Double Bunker Rooms are tiny (I have to say this because me, my wife and even my 3 years old daughter banged our heads several times in this room before we moved to the studio room which is big enough , not a good value for money but almost all Hotels in Singapore are .

In summary it is one of the best places to be in if you will spend the entire day outside sightseeing and want a clean, convenient and a welcoming place to lay your head and rest.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Mostafa A

Thank you for your kind compliments and encouragement for Douglas, Coco, Lance and the rest of the Team members as this really boast up our confidence and we will continue to strive for excellent in every way! Our Urban Bunk is designed for a double occupancy and we are happy to know that you find our Urban Studio more comfortable since you are traveling with your child, Hotel Kai look forward to welcome you and your family again, especially your lovely girl who smile melts our heart daily!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Perfect location,
very convinience, comfortable bed, nice & helpful staff, small room but have everything. Modern design & interior. Surrounded by good restaurant & cafe. Easy access to MRT station ( city hall & bugis) Definitely will come back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear dels109
We are very happy to know that you find Hotel Kai a perfect location for you to stay while you are in Singapore, you can visit our website www.hotelkai.com for direct booking, My Team & I look forward to welcome you back again soon!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I had a 4D3N stay at Hotel Kai as I need to be away from my home for a short while. I managed to get a good deal from Agoda which cost only about S$270 for the entire stay, so do try Agoda to see if there are still special prices for this hotel.

The check-in was very quick and the staff kindly brought me to my room, which some major 5-star hotels don't even do, especially when they realise we are Singaporeans who came for staycations. I had booked a Urban Bunk room as it was the cheapest room from Agoda and it was a good choice. As rooms from Hotel Kai are so tiny (only 7sqm for Urban Bunk), I made use of the upper bed to put all my luggage, giving me some walking space. Hence, I would encourage solo travellers to book the Urban Bunk room so that you can place your luggage on top (or below, depending where you choose to sleep, although I would recommend sleeping at the bottom as it is cold on top). The bed is comfortable with a thick blanket provided. Despite the small size of the room, each room comes with an individual air conditioner, so you can adjust the temperature accordingly. The downside of sleeping on the top of the bunk bed is that the air con is situated right beside it, hence you can feel the cold air directly, which is why I recommend to sleep at the bottom, unless you're not afraid of the cold. I must warn that adjusting the temperature doesn't help as you can still feel the cold air blowing directly at you, whether it is 18 degrees or 27 degrees. Right beside the bed is a small table, in which you can find oreo biscuits, coffee, tea, bottled mineral water and sugar, and they are complimentary. Stirers (to stir the coffee) are not provided, hence I would suggest the hotel to provide as it doesn't require much effort or cost to do so. Paper cups instead of the normal cups are provided, which is fine with me. Electric kettle to make hot water, iron and hairdryer are right above the table. Right beside the table is the vanity area and as many have mentioned, there's everything you need - toothbrush (not-too-bad quality, unlike some hotels, which provide toothbrush that spoil after a day), toothpaste, comb, shaver, sanitary bag, cotton buds, shower cap (I think so, can't remember), laundry bag and bedroom slippers. I must say that's really wonderful service for such a small hotel. Right beside the washing basin is the bath area, which is really small - the width of the bath area is less than a metre, but I'm fine with it as the water didn't flood the room. The toilet bowl is also situated inside the bath area. Shampoo, conditioner, bar soap and shower gel are provider, although they can be inconsistent. A floor mat, clean towels are provided too, with the exception of facial towel, but that's ok for me as I made use of one of the smaller towels. The TV (1 TV at each bed - which is very cool) has some great channels (starworld, fox, fox movies, national geographic, etc), although it seems that you might not be able to switch on 2 TVs (if you're staying in the bunk room) at the same time; I tried switching both and one will automatically be switched off whenever the other one is switched on. Not a major issue and perhaps the hotel can clarify if that's really true, but it serves no purpose to have 2 TVs when you can't switch off both at the same time. So this is something the hotel might want to reconsider.

My stay comes with complimentary buffet breakfast and as many have commented, it is nothing to shout about, but I'm sure budget travellers would be thankful to see budget hotels providing breakfast. It is basic as many have pointed out - bread (you can toast if you wish), butter, jam, scrambled eggs, baked beans, cereal, chicken turkey bacon (available on alternate days only), pancakes (available on alternate days only), French toast (available on alternate days only), coffee, tea and orange juice. The quality of the breakfast is not bad as I enjoyed the coffee. I would suggest the hotel to provide set breakfast instead of buffet breakfast to avoid food wastage given the small scale of the hotel. You can consider breakfast sets such as American breakfast, Continental breakfast, Singapore breakfast, Pancakes, etc. I've seen some small boutique hotels doing that and the food taste great. I had dinner once at Kai Bistro and the burger is fantastic as what many have mentioned. The food is also quite cheap, compared to other restaurants. This hotel has changed my perception of budget hotels, which I thought would have almost nothing, except a room for you to sleep after an entire day of sightseeing; some budget hotels don't even have individual toilets, but this hotel has everything a solo traveller on low budget would require, so this is a major plus point.

Now, the not-so-good part. Everything was great on the first and second day. On the third day, I placed my dress in the laundry bag to be sent for washing. Before I went out (this was around 1.30pm and makeup service is still not done for my room and other surrounding rooms, by the way), I put the laundry bag in my room and placed the makeup service sign outside my room. When I came back at night, the room was cleaned up but the laundry bag was, to my horror, still in the room. I went to check on what had happened and was told that I should have brought my laundry bag down to the check-in counter if I would like to engage a laundry service. I replied that I was not aware of it. After making some calls, the staff managed to get an agreement from the laundry service company for my clothes to be ready by 7pm the next day. I'm thankful for this, but wish that I was told beforehand that I need to bring my laundry bag to the check-in counter if I require laundry service. Having settled this, I went back to my room. While taking a bath, I realised that my conditioner and bar soap had been taken away by the cleaning staff. I also realised that my bottled mineral water (not opened yet before I left my room in the afternoon) had been removed too and not replaced. Because of that, I have to cook my own water using the electric kettle. As mentioned earlier, I placed all my luggage on the top bed and strangely, the cleaning crew removed my luggage and placed them on the bottom bed. I also used the top bed's blanket as I'm afraid of the cold and the cleaning staff put that blanket back to the top where it should be. I was disappointed as I had a long day and came back to find my laundry bag not taken away, and the cleaning staff putting things at the wrong place and removing amenities from the room. However, I must say the cleaning staff for the second day has done a perfect job - not only did she provide me with extra bar soap and shower gel (which was missing when I check in), she did not put the top bed's blanket back to the top bed. This is what I call service and knowing what your customers want. I believe this is not the first time guests have commented that some cleaning staff have removed some amenities from the room without replacing them. The hotel might want to advise the cleaning staff who was on duty on 24 Jun 2014 not to remove amenities without replacing them, which I find very strange.

Despite some minor issues, I'm giving the hotel 5 stars to encourage them to do better as it definitely has the potential due to the great location as many have shared. While the room is small, it has everything (or even more than expected) a budget traveller requires. Even the restaurant comes with complimentary wifi. All the hotel needs to do is to work on the minor problems that I have pointed out, especially when service is all it has. You can't beat other hotels in terms of room space, facilities and breakfast, but you can do so with great service and great service doesn't require much costs.

Room Tip: Urban Bunk room is good for solo travellers who require more space without paying more - all you nee...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Hun_house
EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Hun_house

Thank you very much for your detailed comments for our improvement, Hotel Kai offered same rate as other Online Travel Agent, in future, you might like to book through our website directly for any discount or free night package as you can even find a Stay 3 Pay 2 Promotion on our website http://www.hotelkai.com
We have action on your feedback and you can now find stirrer for our in-room coffee set, please accept our sincere apology where our IT team have resolved the remote control issue and in the mid of process to improve on the air con adjustment for the guest sleeping on the upper bunk, we have shared your comments and conducted a round of training on the Laundry and Housekeeping area to the room attendant who had did a perfect job for you on the second day and especially for the new room attendant who recalled cleaning your room on 24th June.
Thank you again for your valuable comment and encouragement by giving us a 5 star, we will strive to improve and look forward to welcome you back again to experience a more than 5 star service
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I was completely blown away by Hotel Kai Singapore. The staff were genuine and friendly, the hotel was clean and the room i had was small but impressive with very
comfortable bed. Singapore is so busy and bustling that it's nice to be able to step inside such a peaceful and wonderful boutique hotel and get a break from it all, after a long day of exploring singapore! The location is also ideal, bus station and MRT are few walks away from hotel Very closed to great shopping area and more. The main reason I swayed towards Hotel Kai during the booking process was all the positive reviews. I'm not disappointed! A good range, good service and extremely and professional hotel management and staff. I will definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends and share my "Small is MORE" experience.

1 Thank jaytadifa
EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear jaytadifa

We are delighted to receive your gracious compliment and were especially pleased to read your kind words on our services and hotel, most important of all, your personal experience. Your compliment is deeply appreciated, such compliments are important to us and motivate us to continue providing the best possible service to all our guests. We will continue to provide exceptional experiences for our valued guest and look forward to welcome you back again at Hotel Kai!
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Extremely helpful and nice staff.
Very comfortable bed.
Great location.
Hotel had everyting a traveler may need. The free wifi hotspots that were available to borrow were a real bonus -- I did not need to use any cell data during my trip.
If I was coming on my own to Singapore again, I would choose hotel Kai again. If I were to come with my husband, I might go elsewhere because I imagine it would be hard to share the tiny space with another person.
The cutout shelves for kettle, iron, etc. were super cute. The blue light below the toilet was a bit strange for my taste.

EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Ob4

We are honoured to have your FIRST experience in your life with Hotel Kai "“Smallest room I ever stayed in but it had everything I needed.”, especially the free wifi dongle which we provide for you to access free internet everywhere in Singapore, Hotel Kai hope to welcome you back again even if you are coming to Singapore with your husband as the room that you stayed is strictly for single occupancy with a single bed, I will like to recommend our Urban Studio room which come with a double bed and window or our Urban Skyloft which will be ready after July 2014 come with microwave oven, washing machine and a real big balcony on the highest floor! please feel free to contact me anytime at mgr1@hotelkai.com and we look forward to have you back with us again soon!
London
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Hotel Kai is a funky and well located place to stay in Singapore. It is perfect for anyone who doesn't want to spend stupid amounts of money on a hotel room in what is already a very expensive city, but who nevertheless wants to stay in a place with character.

I stayed in a studio room, which although very small, was very well designed and comfortable. They managed to pack a lot into a small space without the room feeling cramped. In my opinion, the size of the room, coupled with the fact that the loo and shower are visible from the bed, mean that the room is suitable only for one person, even though the room contains a double bed. But of course that's just my opinion.

The location of the hotel on Purvis Street is excellent. It's a couple of streets away from Raffles Hotel and so is a 10 minute walk from the heart of the old civic district. It really was an amazing location, especially considering the price I was paying for the room, and Purvis Street itself is charming.

The hotel staff were charming and couldn't have been more helpful.

My only slight criticism was the breakfast, which was a bit basic. The only hot options were scrambled eggs or baked beans. Although there was fruit, I'd have liked to see a fruit salad and some yogurt. Again, this is just a small issues and only matters if you care about breakfast.

EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear GeoffRimington

YES! Hotel Kai is exactly what you have mentioned SMALL definitely IS MORE and we are happy that you find it perfect! We are pleased to inform you that we have just upgraded the loo area and you will have an option to roll down a blind to keep it out of sight from the bed, however, only few of these rooms are designed in this way due to the room configuration and we have completed all the upgrade for these rooms, your feedback on our breakfast have been immediately highlighted to our Chef for our improvement and Hotel Kai Team look forward to charm you more when you are back!
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Excellence service, the staff was friendly and kindly. The room was small but the equipment and atmosphere was nice. As a small hotel, breakfast was not too many choices. On the other hand,I recommend to visit there when you go to Singapore.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Artapong M

"Sawatdeekah!" Thank you for your review on our staff and service which really motivate them! As Hotel Kai is nestled in the historic area, our rooms are designed in a unique way due to unique sizes but we are happy to know that you find our unique equipment and atmosphere nice as Small Is More in Hotel Kai! do contact me directly at mgr1@hotelkai.com for your return stay as I will like to find you a room that you like, "kob koon ka"