“Great location for exploring”
Review of Hotel Kai

Hotel Kai
Ranked #111 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great location for exploring”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Perfect location for exploring Singapore but I did struggle with the size of the rooms. It felt very claustrophobic and we even had a room with a real window. We had to coordinate our movements, you only really could have one person doing stuff at one time and you had to continually rearrange your luggage to get organised in the mornings. It was a bit like playing tetris at times! But the hotel doesn't claim to be anything its not. When they say the rooms are small, they are. And we weren't there to hang out in our room, we were there to sightsee and this was the perfect location to head out from. Staff were good, rooms were clean and very functional. It meet our needs at the time. It would be ideal for anyone traveling solo or those staying just a night.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear jtc19

Thank you for making an effort to share with us on the good performance of our staff and clean rooms, our rooms are of different sizes due to the preserved unique heritage area, we will be happy to assist to keep any of your additional luggage in our luggage storage room that you do not require for your future stay, please kindly contact me as I will be happy to assist you for any further assistance

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights for a business trip. Hotel is clean and staff is really friendly and helpful. Comfortable bed. Though the rooms are small but it is perfect for a place to crash after a busy day. Breakfast is good enough for a quick munch before you rush off for business.

There is only one downside during my stay else it would be 5 stars. In the shower, the water does not seem to run-off and found out that the water run-off hole was blocked by hair. Perhaps the cleaners should also clean the water run-off hole in the shower as well.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for any people on a business trip as it is well suited for it. Not to mention the hotel provides island wide MiFi via a MiFi device with a full refundable deposit. Great to stay connected always.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Ben_Cheong_KL

We sincerely apologised on the Housekeeping shortfall that you had experienced, our Housekeeping Team had been brief and re-train on this area, we are happy to know that we have met your expectation in almost all areas and we will definitely work harder to meet and exceed your 5 star expectation, Mr Cheong, our Microbrewery beer is ready to welcome you back again soon!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Singapore is one of those places packed with hotels but most will charge a fortune to be located so centrally. This hotel is great value for that location! Yes the rooms are small and the walls are thin and there are no windows,... but it is clean, the staff is helpful and breakfast is included. The coffee was to die for! And you cannot deny the cleverness to pack so much in such a small place,... talk about efficient use of space!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear cdngaltakestheworld

Thank you for the review and we are happy to know that you find our Hotel to be a great value when it come to staff service, cleanliness, amenities, breakfast and especially the location, we have virtual windows in most of the rooms and do advise us upon reservation if you prefer to have a window which we will not find any hassle to arrange one for you in Hotel Kai
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 12, 2014

First time I've ever paid so much for such a small room! And a windowless one at that - so no comments about the view... Not that I minded as I basically just slept and showered there, and that was all.

So if that's all you need and the trip is paid for on business, then read on...

Location was perfect for me... within walking distance to everywhere I needed to be on this trip and there were two subway (MRT) stations that were an easy 500m walk away in either direction. It's actually right around the corner from the Raffles Hotel. Lots of food options in the immediate area, further eliminate the need to spend time in the room.

Room was clean and the bunk bed (yes - that was a bunk bed - another first for me!) was comfortable and I slept well. There is free WiFi and breakfast is included.

Even then it was far from a bargain - my last trip to Singapore I was able to get two nights in a new Ramada for the price of one night at the Hotel Kai. Location for Hotel Kai is much better for my needs, but Singapore simply isn't that big. The Ramada was fully booked this time and after a fairly rigorous online search, the Hotel Kai came up as offering the best value amongst what was available.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
EmilyLMM, Hotel Manager at Hotel Kai, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear tnu

Thank you for making an effort to share your review on Hotel Kai as a frequent Singapore traveller, Hotel Kai is indeed a perfect location as beside the 2 subways (City Hall and Bugis MRT) stations that you mentioned, we are also near to 2 other downtown line MRT stations ( Esplanade and Bras Basah). Hotel room rate in Singapore fluctuate especially during convention or events like Formula 1 and Food Hotel Asia in April which happened to be your recent stay in Singapore this time, we value all our guest especially our returning guest, please do not hesitate to contact me at mgr1@hotelkai.com for your future booking as I will like to assist you personally, I will like to recommend our Urban Studio which you might like as it is more spacious and popular among the choices
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My trip to Singapore last week was very last minute and I was reminded, during my hotel search, how expensive the city is. I was on a tight budget but didn't want to scrimp on comfort. I chose Hotel Kai for its location and it ended up being a great decision. The staff are so friendly and accommodating and the hotel itself - a converted shop house on the lovely Pervis St - is brand new.
I had booked an Urban Cabin room which, although quite easily the tiniest space I have ever inhabited, actually served all my traveller's needs.
It's not the kind of room you will retire to after a day and spend the evening in, but serves its purpose as a place to crash.
The bed was really comfortable and the shower was awesome - one of those big square shower heads, which is pretty fancy. Included in the price was breakfast of fruit, juice, tea/coffee and scrambled eggs.
It's right between City Hall and Bugis MRTs and a skip from Chijmes, Raffles etc.
Having stayed in a beautiful, albeit very expensive boutique hotel in Singapore last year that didn't even include breakfast in the $250 room price, I felt this was a really good deal.
I'd recommend this for people who are passing through or want to save on money but not on service and style.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Urban Cabin, it's worth noting that there is hardly any floor space. I was tr...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear phnompenny

Thank you for choosing Hotel Kai for your recent stay in Singapore and for taking time to give us your insight review of Hotel Kai! Especially on the friendly staff where we really want to make you feel like at home, we regret to know that you find our Urban Cabin too small for you, you might like to book our Urban Studio which is more popular and spacious, you can even pay a little different for the upgrade upon arrival at Hotel Kai if there is availability! Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in future and we hope to welcome you back again soon!
Singapore
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Very functional hotel with all required features available. Very nice complimentary breakfast and hotel provide an island wide free wifi dongle. Had a good burger dinner at the Bristol one evening. The hotel serves beer out from a mini beer brewery tank. Wonderful location. Will stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Vickenzo

Thank you for your compliment and we are happy to know that you have enjoy our facility to provide all our Hotel guest with free wifi not only inside the Hotel but everywhere in Singapore! You might like to rent our bicycle for your next stay with us and yes, this is another facility to enhance our guest's stay and it's free too! Looking forward to welcome you back again soon Vickenzo
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Booked this hotel on a very last minute (before boarding!)

It's a cabin room for 1 person and was so shocked because the room is soooo smaaaall.. More like a cabinet room. I feel you Harry Potter!

But this hotel has everything that you need! Compact design on how to optimize TINY space, complete amenities and toiletries, hair dryer, water heater, free snacks, WiFi, and surprise surprise.. Breakfast is included which is very rare in a budget hotel.

And the bed is amaaaazingly comfortable, with two fluffy pillows and duvet.

It's only 5 mins walk from Bugis MRT. Highly recommended for budget traveler!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear burgundylips

Thank you for your detailed insight review and do visit us again for more surprises! We are also about 5 minutes away from City Hall MRT Station, Hotel Kai and team awaiting you!