“Best location at Central Business District”

Peninsula Excelsior Hotel
Ranked #114 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed here on 11th December 2012, the room was clean & quite spacious, you can see the city view from the window.This is my 2nd time stayed in this hotel, the hotel seems already refurbished from old to new look. Doesnt look like 4 stars hotel, the rating should be more. The Gym room inside have machines are well equipped There have 2 swimming pools, one from the outside was quite small & didnt see anyone swimming there & another one located just outside the lobby.That pool wall is made by glass that people from lobby can see thru when youre swimming even below the water. The pool quite big & only have a mini waterfall but at the corner have the jacuzzi that you can sit down there to relax. The locker & shower room quite wierd that you need walk downstairs like a loophole & sure passing by the kitchen & store room. Shower & sauna room quite run down & eerie cos nobody inside but only for short shower is ok. Sauna is like the old type of machine but I dunno how to operate it.
This is my first time to drive in & park my car there, but the parking quite small & limited space just only have 1 floor. You need to climb 2 storeys high from the carpark to the hotel then take lift to the lobby. The lobby is not on ground floor but upstairs. The parking rate for hotel guest is fix 12.00 Dollar per day. Location very good just 5 mins walking distance to City Hall MRT Station , Raffles City & Clark Quay

Room Tip: Those who drive in & plan to park a car there, please make sure reach there early for parking sp...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bcda

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I booked 6room by Guilivers travel. When I check-in, I show my voucher with 2page (1st page for 3rooms - 2nd page for 3 other rooms). I already check on Guilivers, they already make full payment for 6 rooms to hotel for my booking. But reception told me they just provide 3rooms for my booking. I told that I book for 6rooms, and they don't believe me. Reception don't want to check my history booking or contact Guilivers. Because on their system, they just have 3rooms for my booking. After we argue about 15minutes, there are other person (may be supervisor or manager) talk with me and he want to check to Guilivers. And he said sorry that they put wrong booking.

While I want to check-in, reception ask to me to provide all paspor of my family members (12persons). Usually I check-in to another hotel, also in another country no need to do this. Just need 1 paspor of the booking name and some deposit (for mini bar or consume). But reception never want to understand or hear me. Once again the man that I told above help me and do check-in just with my paspor

I stay there for Jan 4rd to Jan 7th, 2013. I stay on room 1933. We all stay on same floor on 19th. On 5th jan, when I arrive to room I find the corridor smell of durian (fruit). I hate the smell of durian because it can make me got migrain. I check on hotel regulation that can't bring durian inside hotel. So I call reception that I found smell of durian along my corridor. They told me will send someone to check. But actually nobody meet me or contact me again to give any respond or answer about my complaint.. Its really so bad service

In the next day someone from hotel staff come to some of my family members room and ask us to be more silent.
Actually we just do some common conversation and not with loud sound.
After I check in front of many room, I also heard my neighbour room do conversation inside. I also hear it clearly..

I do complain to reception while I'm check-out. I explain about my case above (about noisy), and explain I think it didn't cause my family member too noisy inside room. But you need to check and consider that ur room need to add something for noice control.
Reception just answer me : "mam, all hotel room in the world also same. You can hear conversation inside room from out of your door.. But if you want to do complain I will call my manager, so you can talk to them.."
What? I already explain all of my complain and they don't do something solution.
And ask me repeat it to their manager again.
So, if you want to stay at Peninsula, don't ever hope you will get best service..

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was the hotel we stayed at while traveling in Asia on business. This was reserved by our Asian host while attending the Asian Furniture show. The hotel has an attractive lobby and bar. But drinks are very expensive. We paid $25/glass for their house champagne.

The rooms are basic. They were plainly adorned and the beds were hard. They were not a place to lounge around. It reminded me of my college dorm room. Fortunately, the hotel is near some nice areas where you can roam around. The "Raffles" area is within a couple of blocks. There are plenty of eating establishments at "the Quay".

This was my first time to Singapore, but if I go back, I'll try to find a room more comfortable.

Room Tip: I'm not sure what the options are,but don't get double beds. Go for a high floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mayoplan
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed 4 nights including New Year and had a really good experience. I booked a Club room which I believe is a key factor in getting very attentive service.

So my main recommendation is: Get a ***CLUB ROOM***. We used their printing facilities, private check-in/out, concierge, shoe shine, laundry, evening drinks and finger food with no extra cost. The room was large, view was nothing special but I that's a city view for you.

I was located on the 22 floor (top floor) very close to the Club Lounge in the Peninsula Tower. I was worried about the noise from the corridor as all other guests would be passing by, but I was rarely inconvenienced by the guests in the corridor. The AC vents must have been very close (probably on the roof above us or just below) because I remember it was really noisy when I walked in the room the first time and thought I would have difficulty sleeping, but I never really noticed it again.

Things to consider:
(-) THE INTERNET! It was unbelievably slow. I often couldn't access my email because it kept on timing out... Really.
(+) THE LOCATION! We walked to Clarke Quay in about 7 minutes and a 20-30 minute stroll to the Flyer. City Hall MRT is very close and The Raffles Shopping Mall is also there for your shopping and cheap eats. From the Club Lounge we had great views of the Marina Bay Sands. We watched the fireworks show from the hotel and made a video if you're interested in what kind of view you can get: http://youtu.be/vTRy_ZOtdSI

Personal Points:
- The room was conjoined, no big issue unless you have a family with 2 screaming kids in the next room... But I didn't complain, it's not like they can ask guests to make their kids be quiet at 11:30pm, can they?
- Housekeeping call your room around 11 or 12 when you have the "Do Not Disturb" sign on. They just want to check if you want your room cleaned, but I didn't really appreciate it as they had already left a card under the door.

Overall we were treated kindly and staff were very polite. We were able to check-in early, around 11 I think, and drinks were offered while we waited for our room to be prepared. We were escorted to our room and the luggage was brought up. From the moment we checked-in, all members of staff were most courteous, even when communication was difficult due to language barriers.

I'd like to say a special thank-you to the staff in the Club Lounge for their excellent hospitality.

Room Tip: Choose a Club Room. Really. Make use of all they offer (shoe shine, laundry, internet, lounge breakf...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travellinglight2011
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed here for four nights and i find this hotel a bit pricey.I booked the club room on 21st floor and honestly room was average (by considering the price I paid).The view from the room was exceptional. The bathroom was very small and really disappointed me.I had the option to go for breakfast at lounge on 22nd floor or at coleman's cafe on 5th floor , i chose coleman's cafe because my wife is a vegetarian and she liked coleman's cafe breakfast.
The real plus point for this hotel is its located walking distance from CITY hall MRT, and you can go to any tourist spot from CITY hall MRT , we purchased a 3 day train pass for 20 S$ and traveled to all places with that pass and it saved a lot of money. Overall i found the the rooms comfy but not spacious.

Room Tip: the higher the better.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anand229
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights and i did think the room was excellent staff helpful and pool beautiful, views are truly stunning and it is in a very convenient area and would stay again though restaurant was not great although there are so many amazing eateries around this area its not a big deal.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank charlenebunny
Reviewed January 6, 2013

its a nice hotel located in the heart of the city, located near clark quay and bugis. the lobby is nice and spacios not to mention the glass side swimming pool where you can see those who are swimming from the lobby. staff is friendly and approachable. the room size is ok however there are some rooms where you can smell the sewer stink coming out from the bathroom. aside from that everything else is ok. the breakfast selection is not that many. at the back of the hotel are small eating establishments which also becomes a bar during the night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends