“Excellent location”
Review of Grand Park Orchard

Grand Park Orchard
Ranked #84 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The property is located in the centre of ORCHARD ROAD (the prime area of Singapore).

It is right opposite the TAKISHIMAYA & Paragon shopping mall.

The rooms are well anointed and have all the facilities that can be provided.

The breakfast is nice and the Bar and pool located on 4th floor is a lovely place to spend an evening.

It is worth staying as the place is very neat and clean and service is very good.

Room Tip: Prefer to take a room facing the Orchard road. The view is excellent and the Buzz is very nice to...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Orchard Road is the center of the best shopping and dining options in Singapore. Extending thru several kilometers, the best portion is agruable in the middle where Ngee Ann City (Takashimaya Dept Store), Paragon and ION malls converge. This is also the location of Grand Park Orchard Hotel. Constructed 2-3 years ago, the hotel boasts all the amenities of a new, modern hotel. Although the rooms vary in size from small to not so small, the location is perfect for serious shoppers and foodies. You can go down from the hotel, shop, return your bags and shop again! For the hungry, there are literally hundreds of choices to choose from. My favorite casual place is the food court at ION. For more upscale offerings try the Crystal Jade across the street in Paragon for great Chinese food and Lawry's for old fashioned Prime Rib.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I had stayed in this hotel the previous year and when the SGP colleagues booked it again for me this time around I had already forgotten about this place, I should have remembered as i wouldnt have stayed here again. Its a plain boring hotel with nothing special, I was paying SGP 280 per night for a basic room.

Reception: Female staff no expressions, checked me in, didnt explain anything, handed my key and I left towards the lift. No explaining of breakfast, the bar or any other services, its not like they were busy as I was the only one checking in at that time.

Rooms: Decent room, large bed, everything worked as it should, this time got a room far away from the 4th floor bar as you might read in other reviews, it does get noisy and until quite late.

Restaurant is good for breakfast, i didnt try dinner or room service.

Room Tip: 1. When taking taxi, most drivers havent heard of this hotel as its still quite new to them, tell th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Wangtshuk B
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel room smell was terrible, it constantly smelled of smoke and that dirty smell you get when hotel rooms arent cleaned properly. The little flies or fleas that were in our bathroom, we had to go and buy a bottle of mortein (hit) , we did ring room service twice but no one ever came!!!! The hotel is centrally located but not worth the hiccups.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel is centrally located to all the shops and transport in Singapore, however, the club premier rooms are too expensive for what you get. The service is fine but the food in the club rooms are limited and average. The hotels main restaurant was better and better service. Food is better and more variety. So better to just pay for normal rooms rather than club rooms. Hotel is clean and neat. It is not comparable to true five star hotels like Fullerton Bay Hotel and Marina Sands,

Room Tip: Premier rooms are better, small but bigger than Delux rooms which are like a studio room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sydneytraveller_11
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The pictures on the website of the exterior and interior of the hotel makes the hotel look nicer than it actually is. When our taxi reached the entrance, I thought it was back door to the hotel. It turns out that the main lobby is on the 4th floor but so we took the lift up. The lobby failed to impress as well. It looks like one a modern hotel but the lobby was small and had tired looking sofas. In addition, this may not be necessarily within the hotel's control, but there were also middle age men and women lying on the sofas speaking very loudly. Their children were also running around. The whole initial experience just did not feel like it was a 5 start hotel. When we approached one of the receptionists to check in, she was mostly expressionless and definitely did not look welcoming or friendly. We were given our keys and proceeded to the lift which was small and dimly lit. When we got on to our floor and walked down the corridor, we noticed some strange hospital-like smell. I hoped that the sight of the actual room would redeem the hotel. It did not. The hotel room was really quite small for Asian 5 star standards (i.e. same bracket hotels in Hong Kong, Thailand and Macau). All the furniture just looked quite cheap. Also, we had problem with drainage for the washing basin and noticed a big chip in the bath tub. The shower curtain also had some black mouldy spots. When I tried to call the reception to get these problems rectified, I realized that the buttons for the different services on the phone did not work (i.e. for front desk, concierge, house keeping etc). They eventually fixed the sink and nothing else. At night, I also realized there is no ipod/iphone 4/s charger in the room so I phone for one. The person at the reception told me they had none. I asked again if she was sure there isn't one in the whole hotel and that I needed to charge my phone. She said she was sure there are none. I hung up but came on here to read some reviews to see if others' experience was as poor as mine. I read one reviewer that mentioned an ipod dock that did not work in his/her room. So, the hotel did have something to charge my iphone with. I decided to call and ask for one again and this time a different person picked up. He told me there should be a charger in the room and gave me directions on where to find it. I said there was none. He told me he would come up to find it for me. He came up to the room looked around and told me there should be an ipod dock, but for some reason it's missing from the room. He said unfortunately, they had no extra docks in the hotel. Instead he told a technician to give me a normal charger (contrary to what the woman in the reception told me previous that they did not have any iPhone charger at all in the whole hotel?). When the technician arrived at the door with the charger, he seemed to want to barge in to check if there really was no iPod dock in the room. I got in his way because there was someone in bed by that time already. I just told him to hand me the charger and he did.

We stayed for 3 nights and the room did not seem to be completely cleaned each. The mirrors remained dirty with water stains, the box of tissue which was to refill the used up one was just placed on top of the tissue box holder (with the old empty tissue box inside), the dirty towels from the day before were not collected (an no, there were no cards that said the arrangement is towels will not be collected unless they are placed in a certain spot in the washroom).

We also asked the person at the concierge about restaurant recommendations for treating guests but she just didn't seem very knowledgeable. She lacked facial expression and seemed very troubled and stressed out in general. She did not show a hint of a smile the whole time we talked to her. She also struggled somewhat with her English.

All of the above may just be details but with all of them added together, the whole experience of the hotel simply did not feel or meet the standard a person would reasonably expect of a 5 star hotel. The hotel just seemed to be poorly managed and the whole stay was not very smooth. The rooms felt cheap, most of the staff was mediocre (there were indeed some good ones who we randomly bumped into in or outside the lift) and when a problem arose, the service was lacking. It really felt like a 4 star hotel claiming to be and charging the price of a 5 star hotel.

The only plus about the hotel is its central location on Orchard Road near all the prominent shopping centers. However, we just took the taxi to the tourist destinations we needed to go to so even this didn't end up to be a very big "plus" in our case.

I would not recommend this hotel given the price you pay and the service and amenities of the hotel. If you really feel like this is your best choice, just don't have too high of an expectation and maybe you'll find it a satisfactory "5 star" hotel

Room Tip: Stayed from 29 September to 2 October and there we could see and in the morning could hear the const...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank chngwill
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is my first time to stay in Grand Park Orchard. At first perception, I thought it will be an elegant hotel with the wide TV screen outside the orchard road. However, When i entered the hotel, the internal design makes me feel it wasn't a 5-star. More important, I booked the rooms on their OWN WEBSITE but the receptionist told me my reservation wasn't showed in their system when i arrived there. They explained this is because the reservation team has closed after normal office hours and which they would do all the updates for online booking.

This is the first time I have ever had this problem, especially in a 5-star hotel which the reservations should have be in REAL TIME instead of finding here and there, after all your customer has a tiring day before checking in a hotel just to get some nice sleep. However, the front desk staff are trying to cover their own mess by trying to say it'ss because I have booked 2 hours ago where their staff have gone back to sleep without anyone updating it.

Besides that, the rooms are generally fine with all the amenities you would need for a decent stay including a free wifi. However, with the same rate, you can find some much better places such as Mandarin Orchard with a MUCH BETTER services and spaces.

Room Tip: Book from the hotel's website to get a better rate than other booking websites. However, go for...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends