“Innovative Singapore Cuisine at its best”

Restaurant Labyrinth
Ranked #111 of 14,302 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Marina Centre
Reviewed January 4, 2019

Having seen the menu online before we came we did not really know what to expect. But already when served the snacks we knew we were in good hands, I particularly liked the 'Nasi Lemak Cheong Fun' and the local chicken liver pate & goji berry jam. Of the main courses the Nippon Koi Farm Silver Perch was excellent and so was the Toh Thye San Farm French Poulet. The Indonesian Pork Collar was too lean for my taste, and some of the greens looked a bit tired, however, overall this was one of the best Michelin lunches we have had in Singapore for some time, a refreshing new experience with excellent service. At S$118 per pax for nine 'courses' including a generous glas of wine and a coffee this was very good value.

Date of visit: January 2019
3  Thank Bjorn O

Reviewed January 3, 2019 via mobile

For less than S$120 we had a glass of wine plus coffee which is not included in the 9-course set lunch package. $68++. Service is top notch. There are lot of creative culinary ideas in every dish and courages use of Singapore spice and ingredients. The borrow of household popular dishes’ names plus familiar tastes and textures from Nasi Lemak, Cheong Fun, Prata to Kaya toast and durian meringue are rather clever. A cultural blend of Chinese, Malay and Indian with a western fine dinning twist. The only set back is there is no natural light in the entire dinning area, lighting is much too dim for lunch. Other than that it is ready to receive a second Michelin star!

Date of visit: January 2019
2  Thank Fanny L
Reviewed January 1, 2019 via mobile

If you're used to having real Asian food, it's nothing special. Severely overpriced for the taste and quality. Service was OK. Maybe a novelty for foreigners.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed December 3, 2018 via mobile

We were invited by kind and generous friends for the Singapore heritage prix fixe dinner. I did not read out the menu to husband till the evening before. He was aghast, fearful of going home hungry because the food description indicated much culinary technique and ingenious cheffy ideas, vu nasi lemak cheong fun,where the coconut rice is disguised in a rice flour pancake with the usual ingredients deconstructed as crispy black chicken skin instead of a whole crispy fried chicken and an egg yolk gel instead of the fried egg, the sambal was still there with a sliver of cucumber and a single well fried ikan bilis (anchovy). It was complex and tiny enough for a single mouthful. And what a mouthful it was, an explosion of intense and robust flavor fully encapsulating all that a good nasi lemak delivers. You get the idea; each course is tiny in size, delicate and intricate but each packs a punch in flavor. Are 12 delicious mouthfuls each diner is satisfied by a feast for palate and eyes. An entire cornucopia of Singapore favorites were served: chicken rice, oath fish,chilly crab,clay pot rice, kaya toast and even the strong flavours of durian in a mini macaroon and chempadek sorbet. So husband ate his words. Should any diner not be full, he or she can tank up on the last savoury course which us the fried rice- great wok hei ( wok breath) tad too salty, needs a touch of spring onion and a tiny bit more of the delicious house made Chinese sausage. The only cavil is the waffle with chicken liver parfait and goji berry jam. It is the weakest in terms of flavour, of the three starters and contrary to the waiter’s recommendation I would not again eat them in the order of nasi lemak cheong fun, lap cheong barley roll and then the waffle. I would eat the waffle, cheong fun then the sausage in order of robustness of flavours. Also if I may dare suggest, the waffle be thinner and slightly crispy, the liver parfait more generous and the goji berry made into a marmalade with mandarin oranges and lime juice. I made it myself the day after inspired by the menu at Labyrinth and think albeit smugly it makes a rich dish more balanced. My dietician’s quibble is the menu has insufficient vegetables which is true and a pity as many ingredients are locally sourced and Kranji farms have a number of vegetable farms whose products may be heroed. A night to remember and to talk about.

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank gek_lee
Reviewed November 30, 2018

I always wanted to dine at Restaurant Labyrinth and finally managed to try it out Aug 07 2018. The whole dining experience was terrible.
- Upon arrival, I was seated at one of the odd table with strong aircond air blowing directly towards me (as mentioned by some other reviewers as well).
- there were clearly multiple lip stains on my wine glasses ! I informed the service team, the wine glass was replaced with a clean one.
- the food serving practice seems odd. ie 1 dish was served by service crew A , but I have to wait crew B/C to brief re: the dish. And many dishes were served without telling anything. after a while I gave up , I referred to the postcards for the dish descriptions.
- interestingly, there was a lady ?jourlist, across my table. She asked many questions (presumably related to food). Service crew answered her questions and turned around and rolled eye on her. !I was shocked to see such unprofessional service in Michelin starred restaurant
- I didnt manage to speak/ see executive chef , whom attended to the journalist diner only during that night
- I left before all my dinner courses were served
- fellow diners please forget about the wine pairing, the wines were young and boring. The service crew even served the wines in wrong sequence (paired with wrong dishes , they did apologized)

Food was interesting and appreciated the thoughts Chef put into them.
Overall it was really an horrible experience that didnt worth the reputation and price paid for.
Highly not recommended