“Excellent Value for Money and Better than Expected”
Review of Hotel 81 - Sakura

Hotel 81 - Sakura
Ranked #202 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Rolle, Switzerland
“Excellent Value for Money and Better than Expected”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is the first time I have stayed in a "budget" hotel in Singapore and I am very pleasantly surprised. I decided on the Joo Chiat location as I didn't really want to be in Geylang where most budget hotels are located and for a start very pleased with the location indeed. Lively, clean, restaurants, pubs, shops and the inevitable karaoke bars - but made for a very good mix. Passing taxis readily available and easy access to CBD and airport.
The hotel itself - I arrived very early at 11 am and was checked straight in.Internet wifi free for 2 devices and worked perfectly. Reception bright, clean and efficient. Room, not large, but not tiny either. Standard room had queen sized bed, window overlooking street, good black out curtains, bathroom with shower over tub and basic toiletries. The main thing was the room was very clean, bedding and bed excellent, large LED flat TV and very efficient aircon. Tea, coffee and bottled water provided.
The aircon started leaking overnight and created a small puddle, but as I left for a meeting I reported it, the fault was efficiently and courteously noted and perfectly fixed by my return.
When you don't need a bar, restaurant, pool etc on site, but need a clean and more than functional base, then in my opinion this is it.
Very pleasantly surprised indeed - excellent value and will use again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Shaun321

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed here on our recent trip to Singapore mainly due to the price which compared to most other hotels in Singapore was pretty cheap, the hotel and rooms themselves were all Japanese themed, clean and were well kitted out with wifi,tv, tea/coffee making facilities and toiletries. The staff during the day were friendly and helpful however we found the staff taking over at night to be a bit rude and unresponsive. The hotel itself is located in the red light district which posed no problems and only added more colour to the place. On the doorstep is a laundromat, 7 eleven and a variety of other shops, cafes and eateries along Joo Chiat Road and the nearest SMRT stop, Paya Lebar is also within walking distance, allowing access to all the major tourist attractions.
Good for a budget stay if you don't have high expectations and are just looking for a bed for the night after exploring the rest of the city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DavieTheme
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We missed our flight going back home and we stayed there for a night. Nothing much to say about the hotel but it helped us a lot. When we missed our flight, we were looking for a cheap hotel for a night and the airport counter gave us this hotel. Surprisingly one of my wife's cousin's apartment was just a walking distance from this hotel that actually helped us a lot.

Anyway, the hotel is fine, clean and.....I should say okay for one nigh. Its very hard to find a hotel with this rate that offers this quality in Singapore. You can find many yummy restaurants around Joo Chiat road.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mamun007
Ipoh, Malaysia
Reviewed August 17, 2013

A very nice feeling hotel with the concept of Japanese style.
I booked a twin room for me n my colleague, it is not a spacious room but the room condition is just nice for us. Surrounding of this hotel is full of pub and restaurant, therefore it wont be a problem for us to having our dinner after our work and for sure the entertainment in the pub as well..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Ah_Lai90
Phang Nga, Thailand
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was my second stay in Singapore in as many months and this budget hotel was several grades higher than my previous budget accomodation.
The foyer is fairly non- desript and the room was smallish but certainly adequate for my overnight stay. I found the room clean, with a pleasant ambience and all the facilities in place. Make your own tea/ coffee or wander down to the many restaurants nearby. Yes, it's in the red light area of Singapore but Singapore is a very safe place and just adds a bit of colour to the adventure.
The staff are warm, friendly and helpful. I would have no hesitation in staying there next time in Singapore.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank james u
Idaho
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I gave it a three only because of the price. The room was reasonable but I had to go down to the front desk to get towels. And there isn't even a curtain for the shower, just a hand held spray. It is pretty clear this is the red light district of Singapore. On the positive side that means lots of bars and restaurants nearby. I booked this hotel because it close to the airport. So, fine for a short overnight stay but I would not recommend it for anything longer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jdoeida
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Booked thru last minute.com for $69 a night. Very small but clean, quiet and dark in room perfect for getting some sleep after travel. Easy walk to public transport.
Manager Jimmy very helpfully in planning a inexpensive day trip.
Will stay again!