“Late booking”

Ranked #250 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Gympie, Australia
“Late booking”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Last minute booking at airport was to see us here. Close to most things in Singapore that I wanted. Room was very tidy and comfortable with a quiet nights sleep wanted and that's what I got. Breakfast was just what the doctor ordered and was served with a smile. Thanks again and You will see me again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BobMarn101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Indonesian first
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I needed a hotel room for a one night stopover in Singapore, unfortunately the dates were during the Formula 1 race weekend. All hotels incur a levy and the room rates are ridiculous during this period.
I had looked at most websites and managed to find this nice spacious hotel, close to the city.
After reading mostly negative reviews with this hotel, I thought I would give it a go and make my own mind up.
I only have positive words to say about this hotel. It is a family run old fashion business with big spacious clean rooms. The rooms are air conditioned with modern units, the bathroom is basic but more than adequate for size and cleanliness.
Now the hotel closes it doors between 11 pm to 6 am for security reasons. If you require access between the closed times, there is a door bell and a staff member is promptly there to let you in if you are a guest. As to the lady on the reception desk which some travellers have complained about, she is more than helpful and could not do enough for me. I must say she is a straight shooter who treats people accordingly. If you are rude, expect the same in return.
This hotel is basic but very comfortable and good value for money in Singapore especially considering single pod capsules were going for 100 dollars with shared facilities. Don't expect a Sofitel when you are paying a fraction of the price.
I will stay at this hotel again, no questions asked. To any other travellers this hotel is definitely a good option especially for the price.

Steve Rigney
Darwin N.T
Australia
September 2013

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank aussiechinaman
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have all good to say about this hotel. I stay here regularly. It's convenient for walking to Orchard Road (main shopping road in Singapore), train station (10 minutes), in a delightful leafy district, 5 minutes from restaurants and supermarket.
Besides that, it has character - the sort you find in England, with ladies, a family who have been running the hotel for 40-odd years. There's nothing artificial about them. Their rules are strict, certainly, but they make you feel safe. And if you take the trouble to get to know them, they are delightful. As for the comment on fire doors, this is absolutely not true, as the Singapore government is very strict about such measures.
I love sitting in their large garden under the trees. It's a rare amount of space in Singapore to enjoy. A breakfast there is always a treat. Come and join me - I'm there often and as a writer, find it a good place to hide away and write.

Room Tip: Rooms either on the ground floor or upstairs are both fine.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank PositiveTraveller_11
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2012

It was midnight and we were searching for somewhere to sleep. There was an event on in Singapore and our options were Sloan Court for S$159 or two other hotels at S$800 and S$1400. We opted for Sloan Court and after some initial misgivings we were happy that Sloan Court provided clean, good value accommodation with friendly service in a safe residentail area within walking distance of Orchard Road. Certainly it is a no frills hotel, but our room was spacious, clean and airconditioned. We ate at the restaurant before going to the airport on the second night which was reasonable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BrianTB_12
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 11, 2012

The hotel receptionist is very unreasonable. Apparently, no visitors are allowed after 10.45pm. My daughters wished to visit my wife and i to celebrate Mother's day , and was interrupted by the receptionist. She was a middle-aged lady. When my daughters visit us, she keep on calling every minute to chase them away. She even locked all the doors with padlocks, if there is a fire, how will the customers escape? I asked my daughters not to leave first as i can send them back to their hostel after we are done with cutting the cake (mother's day celebration). The receptionist actually went and call for the police and say there has been a serious dispute between the unreasonable customers and her. It wasn't a big matter as i have chose to send my daughters back since the time is already pass 12am. But she insisted us to pay for my daughters even though they didn't stay at all. But after the police's explanation, only then she insisted that my daughters to leave the immediately as she didn't want to see their face. How can she said that? I am really disappointed with this hotel service. When i checked in with another receptionist, she was nice and kind. But this receptionist who is in-charged for the night, she was really unreasonable. I am planning to lodge a complaint soon. Those who wish to stay there, please, think twice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
15 Thank JackNad

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed March 9, 2012

This place is not safe. The staff lock all the doors at night with padlocks, including the fire doors. The rooms have burgular bars. If there was a fire everyone would DIE.

Room Tip: Don't get a room unless you can get out in the event of a fire
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
21 Thank forestorchid
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Overall: A strange little place with no-frills. Bizarre to find a faux-tudor building on Balmoral Rd surrounded by glam, modern highrises. Despite being the cheapest available hotel in the area, I thought $105AUD per night (booked on lastminute.com.au) was a bit expensive for what was delivered. But I guess you’re paying for the area, being comparatively close to Orchard.

Room #226: Non-smoking single room has two single beds (extremely firm!), effective aircon, very small TV, telephone, two sitting chairs, small desk with basic coffee-making facilities, wardrobe, small bathroom with shower, bath, toilet and sink.

The good points

- The staff & service: Efficacious, no-nonsense but friendly. I requested an iron, but was told ironing could only be done by housekeeping … my shirt was collected and returned perfectly ironed within about 10min.

- The location: For me, the location was fine. About 10min walk to Newton MRT and Newton Circus Hawker Centre. From there a 2min train to Orchard.

- The rooms: Not my style (obviously inspired by the English B&B), but the theme is carried off with full commitment! The chairs are floral, the pedestal sink is Georgian, the art is tapestry, the wardrobe is antique … you get the idea.

The not-so-good points:

- Cleanliness: Found black hairs in the bathtub on arrival and then again on Day 3. On Day 2 the fresh towels had quite a large clump of long black hairs stuck to them.

- Appearance of common areas: A bit shabby and rundown.

- TV: is there for decoration. The best channels had poor reception … the worst channels looked like a snowstorm.

- Internet: Non-existent in rooms. I was told I could connect my laptop to the LAN line in the reception (for $3SGD/hour) but tried unsuccessfully on two separate occasions. A public computer in the lobby has internet for $1SGD/15min but I didn’t try. No wireless available anywhere in the hotel, and trust me … it’s almost impossible to access a wireless network in Singapore without a local mobile phone account.

- Bath and shower: Hand-held shower head connected via hose from bath-taps. But, there was nowhere at head-height to “house” the shower head so had to be held by hand. Inadequate shower screen meant bathroom (and some things in it) got wet during shower. Also, no plug so couldn’t run a bath.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo