“Good value for no frills hotel”
Review of Sloane Court Hotel

Sloane Court Hotel
Ranked #255 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Perth, Australia
“Good value for no frills hotel”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

It was midnight and we were searching for somewhere to sleep. There was an event on in Singapore and our options were Sloan Court for S$159 or two other hotels at S$800 and S$1400. We opted for Sloan Court and after some initial misgivings we were happy that Sloan Court provided clean, good value accommodation with friendly service in a safe residentail area within walking distance of Orchard Road. Certainly it is a no frills hotel, but our room was spacious, clean and airconditioned. We ate at the restaurant before going to the airport on the second night which was reasonable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BrianTB_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 11, 2012

The hotel receptionist is very unreasonable. Apparently, no visitors are allowed after 10.45pm. My daughters wished to visit my wife and i to celebrate Mother's day , and was interrupted by the receptionist. She was a middle-aged lady. When my daughters visit us, she keep on calling every minute to chase them away. She even locked all the doors with padlocks, if there is a fire, how will the customers escape? I asked my daughters not to leave first as i can send them back to their hostel after we are done with cutting the cake (mother's day celebration). The receptionist actually went and call for the police and say there has been a serious dispute between the unreasonable customers and her. It wasn't a big matter as i have chose to send my daughters back since the time is already pass 12am. But she insisted us to pay for my daughters even though they didn't stay at all. But after the police's explanation, only then she insisted that my daughters to leave the immediately as she didn't want to see their face. How can she said that? I am really disappointed with this hotel service. When i checked in with another receptionist, she was nice and kind. But this receptionist who is in-charged for the night, she was really unreasonable. I am planning to lodge a complaint soon. Those who wish to stay there, please, think twice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
15 Thank JackNad

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed March 9, 2012

This place is not safe. The staff lock all the doors at night with padlocks, including the fire doors. The rooms have burgular bars. If there was a fire everyone would DIE.

Room Tip: Don't get a room unless you can get out in the event of a fire
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
21 Thank forestorchid
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Overall: A strange little place with no-frills. Bizarre to find a faux-tudor building on Balmoral Rd surrounded by glam, modern highrises. Despite being the cheapest available hotel in the area, I thought $105AUD per night (booked on lastminute.com.au) was a bit expensive for what was delivered. But I guess you’re paying for the area, being comparatively close to Orchard.

Room #226: Non-smoking single room has two single beds (extremely firm!), effective aircon, very small TV, telephone, two sitting chairs, small desk with basic coffee-making facilities, wardrobe, small bathroom with shower, bath, toilet and sink.

The good points

- The staff & service: Efficacious, no-nonsense but friendly. I requested an iron, but was told ironing could only be done by housekeeping … my shirt was collected and returned perfectly ironed within about 10min.

- The location: For me, the location was fine. About 10min walk to Newton MRT and Newton Circus Hawker Centre. From there a 2min train to Orchard.

- The rooms: Not my style (obviously inspired by the English B&B), but the theme is carried off with full commitment! The chairs are floral, the pedestal sink is Georgian, the art is tapestry, the wardrobe is antique … you get the idea.

The not-so-good points:

- Cleanliness: Found black hairs in the bathtub on arrival and then again on Day 3. On Day 2 the fresh towels had quite a large clump of long black hairs stuck to them.

- Appearance of common areas: A bit shabby and rundown.

- TV: is there for decoration. The best channels had poor reception … the worst channels looked like a snowstorm.

- Internet: Non-existent in rooms. I was told I could connect my laptop to the LAN line in the reception (for $3SGD/hour) but tried unsuccessfully on two separate occasions. A public computer in the lobby has internet for $1SGD/15min but I didn’t try. No wireless available anywhere in the hotel, and trust me … it’s almost impossible to access a wireless network in Singapore without a local mobile phone account.

- Bath and shower: Hand-held shower head connected via hose from bath-taps. But, there was nowhere at head-height to “house” the shower head so had to be held by hand. Inadequate shower screen meant bathroom (and some things in it) got wet during shower. Also, no plug so couldn’t run a bath.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank manasicaje
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I had never had a experience like this in other hotels. I was planning to stay for 2 days and even invited my friends over for few drinks at night..but the restaurant closes at 10pm. As we were hungry we ordered McDonald .As we waited in the room...by the way, the sign says no visitors are allowed after 10.45pm..penalty...29++.... ridiculous rule. As my friends were smokers, they opened the window to smoke..And in came a call from the receptionist that i was liable to pay $30 for opening the window when the air con is running, ridiculousness rule.Again a call came in,this time asking how many of us were in the room.I told the mad lady that 3 of us were in the room. the mad lady told me that no visitors are allowed after 10.45pm and tat i have to go down and register their names.since we were waiting for the McDonald delivery, we thought of going down once the delivery guy was here..And ridiculousness rule again..the door is locked after 11pm..Before we proceeded down, there was a knock on the door..The mad lady just barged into tje room and wanted my friends particulars.At this point i was fuming with anger as i have never been embarrassed .. I told the mad lady that i wish to check out immediately as i was not happy with this kind of service. She told me that she don't know how to access the computer to do checkout.The next day i checked out and stayed in amara hotel...It was a beautiful stay at this hotel and staff were friendly..And no rules.....As for the lady who was rude and discourties, she was one of the owner of Sloane court hotel..I will never stay or recommend this hotel...

• Stayed May 2011
14 Thank maximus_x9
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2011

My husband and I came across Sloane Court some years ago when we used to stay at the hotel across the road which has now been demolished. We were drawn to the appearance of this hotel which resembles an old English Pub. We only ever ate in the restaurant until this recent trip when we decided to give the accommodation a go even amid all the negative remarks on Trip Advisor. We had just that morning disembarked from the Queen Elizabeth after spending 3 glorious weeks in the lap of luxury so we are reasonably particular folks.
We were very impressed with the accommodation at Sloane Ct FOR THE PRICE and one has to remember what one pays in other Singapore Hotels. When visiting Singapore feel we only need a bed as we are out and about so much, loving the city as we do. We refuse to pay exorbadent sums for a hotel room hence us giving Sloane Ct a go as it is a third of anywhere else. Hotel room clean and comfortable, bathroom clean and adequately supplied FOR THE PRICE. Reception very friendly and helpful. We had no problems with the hotel, great quiet area, taxis a plenty at front door, 15 minute walk to MRT. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sallygoldcoast
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Unless I ever lose my memory of my stay at this god forbidden place, I will never, in this life time of the ones after, step into Sloane Hotel ever again!

We had a bad hunch the moment we reached the place. The first feeling I had was that I had just stepped into a very old haunted house.

Service at the front desk and room service was very poor - no smiles or hello or "thank you see you again". In fact, we felt like the people working there didn't want us there at all.

Though it was generally clean, everything in the hotel was OLD. They look old and yes, smelt OLD too. Even the CRT tvs were showing programs in black and white (we even had to tune some of the channels ourselves).

We decided to go out for supper after midnight but found the hotel's main entrance locked and we couldn't get out (or rather stuck in the horrible hotel). There was also no one was at the reception desk. Most lights at the reception area were also switched off. A sign was placed near the door informing guests to press the bell "ONLY once". We did as the sign says. Approx 30 seconds later, one of the staff, a middle aged chinese lady, appeared in her PJs, bed hair and a very unhappy face (we assumed it was because we had disturbed her sleep) to open the door for us. The same happened when we came back to the hotel. Only this time, we had to ring the bell more than once and had to wait for almost 10 minutes for someone to open the door for us to enter the hotel!!

On the day we were supposed to check out (check out time is at noon by the way), we received calls every 2 minutes from 1200 sharp to check if we had left our room. When told that we needed another 10 minutes, the receptionist said, "No, only five minutes for you to come to the reception to hand over the room key." We were appalled at her level of service. We were even more upset when the first thing she said to us in front of other guests at the reception during check out at 1230, "Terrible people!!". We were so surprised at her remark that we just didn't know what to say to her!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple