“Just okay, not really great”

Hotel Royal at Queens
Ranked #167 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Philippines
“Just okay, not really great”
Reviewed October 12, 2006

Our stay at Royal at Queens was just plain okay. It's nothing spectacular and there were some problems with the hotel. First, the walls in our room needed repainting (or a thorough cleaning). There was a yellowish substance on the walls that kinda looked gross (I think old paint has chipped off) and the sink in the toilet was a little clogged. Housekeeping also left a wet towel (that we didn't use!) on top of our luggage, so of course, our luggage got wet! There was also this irritating housekeeping lady that kept on pressing our doorbell while shouting "housekeeping!" and so she woke up our tired little baby who was napping!! Can't she just buzz once and wait for a reply rather than push the doorbell again and again?!? Breakfast was again, just ok. Food was plentiful but it wasn't the best. I loved the orange juice though, and the staff there was quite polite. Location-wise, it's okay since it's right behind Allson and there's a good enough foodcourt beside it. Bugis and OG were quite near, although the 10-15 minute walk was kinda tiring if you're carrying a little baby. Overall, Royal at Queens is a little below average. It's definitely not a 4-star hotel!

• Liked — Probably the location
  • Disliked — The hotel needs a makeover!
  • Tips/Secrets — Look for a hotel with a good location.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank Cheerful_mama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide
Reviewed August 28, 2006

Stayed at the Royal on a Singapore Stopover trip. The location was great, it was near the Bugis Street markets and a street away from a 24 hour foodcourt (very good and cheap hawker's food!). However the hotel was in such a terrible state. My room smelled of mold and dampness (like the carpet was wet for a couple of weeks!). The bathroom was such a disaster with cracks on the walls, the vanity and the toilet basin. The hotel staff were abit clueless as to what was happening during the morning. One staff told me the hotel cafe won't open till 10:00 am, as I had an early flight I was at the lobby at 7 am and behold the cafe was serving a buffet breakfast. I did have my breakfast and went to pay, no one was at the cashier, the kitchen staff told me to go away as she didn't want to take my money. I had to literally look for someone who worked in the hotel and gave her the payment for my breakfast! Would not stay there again. And did I mention that everyone staying at the hotel seem to be smoking!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Tips/Secrets — Not worth the money
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank Freshjive_Adelaide

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 6, 2006

We stayed at this hotel at the end of June this year. It was part of a package with Singapore Airlines. We paid for 3 adults (husband, wife and 14 year old daughter): we were given a double room with an extra bed which effectively meant that you could not walk in the room or store your luggage. On asking reception about these appalling arrangements they were very aloof and unconcerned that they had unhappy guests. Finally, the lobby manager offered us an upgrade to the suite. We paid the difference though I think we would have been better off in another hotel. The suite was more spacious. However,
1. The bathroom which is not 4 star standards leaked.
2. The bed linen was old with blankets that probably hailed from world war 2.
3. The night frills had awful stains which housekeeping said they could not change.
4. The breakfast was definitely not 4 star standard.
5. The website of the hotel and pictures there are very misleading.

Would not recommend this especially if you think that this is a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed June 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 14, 2006

I stayed at Royal At Queens for a couple of nights at the end of January 2006. It seemed like a pretty good deal, booked online.
Maintenance works were being done to the pipework with what seemed like a very large hammer from 3 to 4AM. This eventually stopped after a call to reception (who didn't think it was a strange hour to use a hammer!)
As with most hotels, a credit card swipe was taken for any incidentals, none of which were used, aside from said phone call to reception.
Lo and behold, my credit card has charges from the hotel, which I don't notice until my statement arrives.
I travel to Singapore two to four times a year and will never stay there again. It will also be at the bottom of my recommendations list for others.

• Stayed January 2006