“Very overrated. What a disappointment!”

Hotel Royal at Queens
Ranked #165 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 4, 2009

After reading all the reviews here, I was under the impression the Hotel Royal @ Queens would be a great hotel. Boy was a deceived. This hotel is nowhere close to a 4 star hotel, and I don't see how anyone could think the money you pay for stay here is justified. Let me explain...

1. The hotel staff is dull and inhospitable. They take their time looking the other way when you are standing at the counter waiting to get their attention.

2. The bell-boy doesn't carry your bags, or even help you to your room. At first I thought maybe it was only us, but no. I watched how many people checked in, and was merely pointed towards the elevators. No help here!

3. Room is loud! Everytime someone flushes the toilet in any of the adjacent rooms, there is a loud continuous noise for several minutes.

4. There was something wrong with the phone in our room (it seems). Technicians came to our door right after check-in, and asked to come in to fix the phones, saying we had asked for it to be fixed. I explained we had just checked in and nothing seemed to be wrong with the phone. They insisted on coming in. I said we were resting and if they could return another time. Again, they insisted on coming in. Rude!

5. Internet. I was under the impression that Singapore was a hi-tech country. The hotel doesn't have wi-fi. They will lend you a network cable at the hotel counter for your plugged in browsing experience. Having kids, this is definitely not an idea solution, having a long cable running across the hotel room. And at $6 Singapore Dollars and hour, I feel like I am being robbed.

6. There is a large LCD TV in our room, but the reception is terrible. Lmost every channel has static.

7. Don't be fooled about its location. The Royal @ Queens is a long way from Orchard Road. We're talking at least a 10 minute walk to get to it.

At these prices I thought I was getting a 4 star hotel. In reality this is more like a 2.5 star hotel, with unfriendly staff, and insufficient amenities. I wouldn't stay here again.

At the price that we paid for this hotel

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Royal at Queens

Reviewed January 23, 2009

We stayed at the Royal @ Queens as a Singapore Airlines (SIA) stopover package for A$128. The latest refurbishment of this hotel was completed in September 2008 so our room was looking fresh, modern/minimalist and new. The R @ Q is what used to be the rear tower of the Allson Hotel i.e. the entrance is on Queen Street but the hotels are connected on the first floor. The check-in staff were courteous and efficient. Our room was not large but was comfortable and convenient. It had a comfortable king size bed with feather quilt and pillows, a large flat screen television, mini bar, desk and chair, and an arm chair. The bathroom was small but modern, stylish and convenient with a shower over the bath tub.
I have stayed at this hotel over decades and three identities because I love the location. There is a food court next door in Victoria Street and a 24 hour food court opposite. The excellent Singapore Art Museum is a step away on the corner of Queen Street and Bras Basah Road and the National Museum of Singapore is only a block further. The colourful temple street of Waterloo Street is only a block away with the OG department store not much further. The Bugis Street food court and MRT station are also nearby. Beyond what is in the immediate proximity however, this location is a really central point for walking expeditions to almost every district of SIngapore city.
If you are on an SIA stopover package, this is better value than the Peninsula Excelsior Hotel.

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank DaisyClover
Reviewed December 6, 2008

We were a family of four and booked connecting executive rooms on the 16th floor. The rooms were supposed to have been newly renovated and the staff seemed very proud to show them off to us!!! But have to say the rooms were amazing. There were touch screen controls for everything - lights, door bell, make up room and do not disturb. Everything could be controlled from the bed side. There was a 40" LCD TV - which did have some problem of being fused out when we arrived but they corrected it very quickly after we mentioned it to them. The bathrooms were great with a tub and very clean. The view from the top was gorgeous and you could a whole lot of the city. We enjoyed looking out of the floor to top windows whenever we had a chance. Beds were soft and lovely, fell asleep as soon as we got into them. Staff were very helpful and would correct anything quickly if we needed.

The buffet breakfast the next day had the usual choices. I guess it was the usual, standard fare that is available everywhere – nothing special. We had to wait for a long time almost always to get into the crowded breakfast room as there were many tour groups staying at the hotel. All the days we were there it was really full with many tour groups coming and going.

We did order room service for dinner once and have to say the food is terrible here and comes quite a bit of time after ordering, so you would do better to just go to any of the great restaurants in Singapore or even the food courts. We went into one of the food courts once but you better be sure you know what you are getting and ask the locals if it is anything good for a foreign taste as sometimes strange tastes otherwise get into your plates. (Well we do like to experiment with food so would try out new stuff – but some of the food on offer is really strange for foreign tongues). But if you have a local with you, you can get amazing food at the food courts.

Back to the hotel, the swimming pool is on the rooftop and is dismally small - like 3 bath tubs put together, so don’t hope for a exercising swim there. However staff overall was quite good. I needed the internet in my room and they had a package which had free internet at the rate we took (200Sing $ per night per room). They gave me an ethernet cable to plug my laptop into but this was broken and so kept disconnecting and after asking for a replacement after rummaging through the wires they gave me another one in the same condition. And in any case the internet connection was not great and kept dropping off and sometimes I couldn’t even get logged in. Well so much for the “free internet.”

As someone mentioned yes it is difficult to get a taxi here so it helps sometimes to get the hotel to ring for one earlier on. Its about a 5-15 min walk (depending on how fast you walk ) to get to the Bugis market where there are food courts and shops to look around and shop and also the Bugis Station Mall for more better quality stuff and some good restaurants.

So overall a well placed hotel which is a great place to stay but not to eat in. And well placed enough to have things to do around it.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank shellily
Reviewed November 19, 2008

Kudos to the staff especially reception desk and business center. Special mention goes to Carmen in Reception and Nicole in Business Center for going out of their way to accomodate our requests and assuring that we have a pleasant stay. I even got a greeting card signed by the staff on my birthday. The breakfast buffet could however use more variety so you don't get tired of eating the same thing every day.
Will definitely recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Singapore especially those who are visiting Singapore for the first time.

Rita From Vancouver Canada

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 13, 2008

I booked the Hotel Royal despite the very bad reviews I am reading here. I banked on the last 2 positive reviews and just hoped for the best.

I booked the newly renovated executive room and I wasn't disppointed. The rooms were a bit tiny especially that we had an extra bed, otherwise, i think it would have just been okay. It's got modern furnishing, flat screen TV, comfortable beds and modern finishings in the T&B. the not so good points are: the sliding door to the T&B can be quite difficult to maneuver and many times it got stuck, so we had to contend with taking a shower with the door open. The bathtub didn't have those non-slid stickers and it was quite dangerous to move around, I had to keep on holding on to the shower handle. If you have a child, then you better check this out. The retractable clotheline was a bit located halfway such that if you have it pulled out and u wanna rush to the tub, you might easily get caught up in it, dangerous as well!

In the time that we were there, our rooms weren't at all made up each time we got back to the hotel at around 5pm. We had to call the attention of the front desk to make sure our rooms were made up by the time we're back for the night.

There was no complimentary bottled water, and I think this was at least basic especially if you have coffee-making facilities. The staff did tell me that it was okay to use tap water, but I guess sometimes, we are wary on drinking tap water.

As some poster has said, the biggest disappointment was really the breakfast. It was so bland, not too many choices and just so not appetizing. The "free breakfast" in the package seemed not to have mattered at all. I suggest you go somewhere and have your breakfast, there's kopitiam two blocks down.

The hotel is located along a small street and we found it a bit difficult to get a taxi, especially in the early morning. I never had this problem in my previous stays in Singapore in other hotels. The front desk staff wasn't too helpful at all. He never helped us carry our bags nor did he offer to call a cab for us. He simply said it was difficult to get a cab from the hotel. And when I asked why, he just shrugged me off and said "i don't know".

Over-all, if these points don't matter that much to you, the hotel is a good place to sleep (just make sure u get the newly-renovated rooms). Be sure to don't expect much from the breakfast nor from the staff.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2008

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night while we were in Singapore. This hotel was well located, within walking distance to CityHall MRT and Bugis MRT - both of which have shopping malls, food courts etc. The room was quiet, spacious and newly renovated, so it was quite comfortable. We are a family of 4, and they provided a baby cot at no extra charge. The only real disappointment was the breakfast - if I had known it was going to be so bland I would have eaten elsewhere. Literally, all of the food we had, had no taste.
Overall, I would probably stay here again, as it was reasonably priced and the staff were courteous.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Kento-san
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Stayed for 3 nights on Singapore Airlines stopover and found this hotel much better than some of the earllier reviews suggest. The room was fine - looked to be recently refurbished - and building noise didnt affect us (there was a building site next door which would affect rooms on one side of the hotel). Staff helpful and polite. Restauarant limited but there are plenty of eating places round about - the hotel is very centrally located. Found it to be good base for touring the city. Looked similar to many other modern hotels in this part of the city

Stayed: July 2008