“Good value. It really depends on your expectations.”

South East Asia Hotel
Ranked #250 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed September 1, 2009

These points are for the superior room we were upgraded to from a standard room since we were staying for 5 nights.
Had to get a good budget hotel since we were staying so long.

The good:
1. Clean
2. Fresh, clean smelling, pillows, bedsheets and towels
3. Reasonably big room
4. Very cold aircon
5. Very near to Bugis Street (S$10 clothes!) and Bugis Junction/Bugis MRT
6. Window that overlooks pedestrian street
7. Free breakfast which my daughter and I found quite tasty
8. Good, strong, hot shower
9. Nice people at the reception
10. Westerners might appreciate the culture as there is a Budhlist and Hindu temple next door!
11. Only s$100. If anyone has tried one with a better value, please let me know!
12. Area and hotel suitable for family. Wasn't willing to try out the Hotel 81s and Fragrance chains as I was not sure about the clientele there.

The not so good:

1. Aircon is a window unit installed so high up you have to climb on a chair to adjust and turn on/off
2. No blackout curtains
3. Sellers on the pedestrian street can be noisy as they call out to potential buyers for their flowers and other things for the nearby temples
4. You carry your own bags so use a trolley bag as you'll have to drag it a short distance to the taxi stand
5. Only cash accepted and you have to pay every evening (if you decide not to pay at one go at the start)
6. Abrupt, scowling people at the breakfast/restaurant area (but we were prepared for this after reading the previous reviews. LOL)
7. No free WIFI. Have to pay for Internet access (we didnt bother.)
8. Really homely (don't expect any luxuries!)
9. No shower stall. Water splashes all over the bathroom floor.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed June 27, 2009

Having never been to Singapore, it was a bit of a stab in the dark as to where to stay. I think I found this place in a travel book.

We didn't mind it being in a pedestrian-only street as we were walking and getting the train everywhere anyway. It's close to the art gallery (which is really good), and Raffles.

The breakfast was good - European as well as some Singapore fare - though it didn't really seem the most healthy I've ever eaten.

The room was pretty basic and small, but we weren't hanging out - just going back to sleep. It was quite dark and the one window was high up the wall so no view. Not that there was one anyway - our room looked out to a small lane and a building.

The bathroom had an open shower, which I didn't like at all, especially for a hotel and paying $100 Singapore per night. (See the pic.) It was just a shower head on the wall, right next to the bathroom door. So you had to stand next to the door to get under the shower, and the water went everywhere, including all over the door. We had to use one of the towels across the bottom of the door so the water didn't go into the room.

It was very clean, and cleaned very nicely every day, including towels and soap replaced. The linen and towels were nice too.

Not so keen on having to pay every day for the room, and in cash. And the internet took forever. It used up all the money we'd put in just waiting for 2 websites to load.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank faisty
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I booked this hotel based on recommendations from a forum I frequent. I have stayed in other hotels in Singapore before but since we were on a budget (traveling to 5 countries in Asia) for this trip, I figured it would be worth the risk.

The booking itself was convenient and hassle-free. I just emailed the hotel, booked our stay, and they replied with all the necessary instructions and information.

On the day of our arrival, the cab driver was not instantly familiar with the hotel. We had to give the instructions they emailed, including descriptions of the nearby temple. There's also some 30-meter walk towards the entrance of the hotel from the street and no one will help you with your luggages as usually there's only 1 person in the reception and it is not visible at all from the street.

We arrived at around 7:30AM and were told that "usually check-in is at 2PM but fortunately for you, we have a room ready" (yes we are thankful but the way he said it was like he was letting us stay in the hotel for free). Upon handing our room key, we were immediately asked for payment for the 1st night and when we told him we still have to change our money, we were asked for both our passports. They were returned as soon as we paid the $100 for our room that day.

No one escorted us to our room and when we saw our room, we knew we were in for a disappointing stay. It was the smallest room by far that I have stayed in and it stank of stale cigarette smoke. These were the only amenities: a TV with 8 stations, the bed, a bedside table, a desk, a cabinet with mismatched hangers and a clothes rack for airing. If the room was disappointing, the bath even more so. It is the first time ever that I have seen a shower head right behind the door such that when you shower, the water is all over the door and the floor. You have to be very careful when taking a shower as the floor tiles are slippery because there is no bath mat or even a divider on the floor -- you basically just use up the entire CUBICLE when showering.

Since we were so tired from our long flight from Australia and not wanting to have another semi-hostile encounter with reception, we did not ask for a change of room thinking that the terrible smell of smoke would go away after a while. No chance of that -- we stayed 3 nights in the same room and our clothes stank for several days after leaving Singapore. (It's hard to explain why we didn't move but our days were so jampacked, we would go back to the hotel at 3 or 4am and it was just such a hassle to transfer everything to another room).

Breakfast is served from 8:30-10:30AM. You have 2 choices: American (which is 2 whole slices of toast cut into 4, a packet of butter and a packet of jam plus orange juice and coffee/tea) or Vegetarian buffet (dimsum, noodles, fried rice and some taro puff plus coffee/tea, no chance of swapping with juice!). Upon the recommendation of the old Chinese lady at the reception, we had the Veg. buffet. It was so-so but filling enough. The second day, we went down for breakfast at 10:25AM having had a long night and was met with a scowl from the old Chinese lady (you have to get your coupons daily from reception) who reprimanded us that next time, we shouldn't be so late for breakfast! Duh!!!! As it turns out, the dining area was already spotless when we got in meaning they closed breakfast waaaay earlier than 10:30. The guy in the kitchen grudgingly served us toast and coffee with both of them grumbling in Chinese the entire time. We finished our toast so fast just to get out of there and what do you know, the guy took away our plates while we were still finishing our coffee! So rude!

Another thing to complain about is that there is no wi-fi in the hotel -- not a problem except that to have internet in your room, you have to pay AND leave your passport which they will only return when you give back the modem. I have no problem paying for services, after all this is a low-budget hotel but this attitude of complete distrust is simply annoying. Others have said that it is probably cultural and maybe because SEA Hotel is a family-run business but I have stayed in other places in Singapore and other family-run hotels in other countries but have never, never been treated the same way. Needless to say, we are not staying ever again in this hotel. YWCA Fort Canning Lodge where I have stayed 2x before may be 10-20% more expensive but it is so worth the premium over this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank port80
Reviewed April 20, 2009

Like i said, just to spend the night. Rooms are small, two beds,
ok bath. a small tv high up on the wall. No refridgerator. The room overlooks a wall.
Non existant room service. You have to carry your own bags.
The road is some distance away. Cars stop about 200m from the hotel and you will have to haul your bags to the hotel.
Avoid if you have lots of luggage.
Breakfast is toast and jam and butter and coffee.
But cheap for singapore.
Location is good. Right in a market place with plenty of shopping around. And some average restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Doctorneel
Reviewed April 15, 2009

We had a nice room on the 3rd floor looking out over the street. Basic but clean and spacious for the 2 of us. Good location just 5 mins walk to Bugis MRT. The free breakfast was surprisingly good. Very friendly service. Would go back there again.

• Stayed: February 2009
1  Thank NBCooma
Reviewed April 10, 2009

i stay first night in deluxe room,it a bit dirty,but next day i change to triple room only cause 140(plus 1 extra bed),for the budget price is considered enough big,n the location in bencoolen,it very convenience for me to shop,n around is tasty chinese food,.n the price is cheap

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank yunBrunei
Reviewed March 11, 2009

I travel quite a bit and always stay budget. My requirements are clean, good working air con and breakfast. I got this with SEA hotel.
When we checked in at 4am in the morning, I opened the door of the room and went "hhmm".Our view was a wall....but the upside of that was no noise so we stayed with it. The room also had a bit of a smell....but as soon as the air con went on each time, it vanished. (ours was superior room 356, 358 had no smell) and carpet was flat and dull.But after a sleep and a shower i was quite happy and very comfortable.
Rooms at front (334) and opposite (346) had views.
They have no problems changing rooms though if you press it as one of our group was on another floor and wanted to be near us so they moved her when we saw a vacant room.
Rooms were cleaned very well every day.
The phone worked, the tv worked and so did the kettle...which was a nice extra as the budgets often don't give a kettle tea/coffee.
I decided to handwash my clothing as the laundry price was expensive....so they happily gave me a drying rack and under the fan, it dried well. They also gave an iron and ironing board.
When I bought flowers, they happily gave me a vase.
You had a fan and an air con and at night you certainly didn't need both.
Plenty of cupboard and drawer and wardrobe space.
A friend who was staying at a 5 * came in and said wow, this is very spacious.. her daughter liked the cultural aspect of the hotel....which you don't get with a 5 *.
Breakfast...yes it was basic, but in fairness the big hotels don't give anything.
My daughter had the continental ( 2 toast, jam, juice and coffee) and I had vegetarian buffet (noodles, fried rice, fried carrot cake etc, coffee) and we went halves so each had both on the plate ( 1 toast half the rice etc). Quite a substancial breakkie.
There was only one staff member that was a bit rude...and she was on at brekkie. No problems, just ignore.
One older lady in reception was also a little abrupt at times but I just chatted to her and she was fine.
When there was late excessive noise from one room, I made a call and security came straight up.
We loved the area. They happily gave directions to anywhere.
Yes we had to hand our keys in when we went out....but they always rememberd who we were and gave keys without us asking. it also is something I practice anyway so that i don't loose the key.
I have to say that my only complaint was that there was no pool.....so we went to the local pools.
I would stay at SEA again.

• Stayed: March 2009