“Clean, Convenient”

Fragrance Hotel - Ruby
Ranked #129 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed April 5, 2014

As other have noted, this hotel is in a "red light" district, but it is a safe, welcoming neighborhood. The hotel itself is clean, well-lighted with helpful staff. My room was nice, with well-functioning air con, plenty of hot water and a TV. The price was reasonable. Best of all, it's conveniently located, where taxis are easy to fins and the MRT station a ten minute walk (Al Junied).

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Tuttle51

Reviewed April 3, 2014

An inexpensive no-frills hotel in the Geylang district about 15 ride taxi minutes from the airport, and ideal for those transiting through Singapore who don't want the trouble an expense of staying at a more expensive and distant hotel in central Singapore. The rooms are very small and the bathroom is tiny, but if all you want is a shower and a bed, it is fine. The rooms are clean and equipped with a flat screen TV and coffee/tea facilities. There are numerous coffee shops close to the hotel but none serve western western food, so unless you are into noodles and porridge, you may have to settle for something from one of the mini-marts.

I made the mistake of directing the airport taxi driver to the Fragrance Hotel in Geylang without specifying The Ruby. He instead deposited me a few streets away at the Fragrance Sapphire which fortunately only required a short walk to the Ruby. At 12.30 at night, this turned out to be an interesting experience as along the whole route I was regularly greeted by attractive young ladies, who seemed very keen to offer some special hospitality.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We got into Singapore around 3pm on the 14th of March, get to the Hotel and were told that check in would take about an hour.
Once checked in we asked for a taxi to be ordered for about 10 minutes to get to the race track.
It took an hour before the taxi showed up, while it may not be the hotels fault, I'm sure it wasn't ordered until we asked again some 30 minutes later.

We asked about wifi as it was the only way we've been able to contact our family back home, we were told its free in the lobby, but because of our booking type we had to pay $10 for 24 hour access for 1 device. It was the first time all holiday we had to pay extra for wifi and we stayed at places that were a tenth of the price of this hotel.

I found the staff rude in the number of times I spoke with them.

On the rooms;
It is by far the worst room I have ever stayed in.
If you get room 209, ask to be put in another room.
Firstly, no windows open, so the room gets stuffy when you're not in it.
The air con is right above the left side of the bed, so leaving it on during the night will leave the left side sleeper cold while the right side is ok.
I got a cold from this, we had set the air con to between 25˚ to 28˚, anything warmer and the room was too hot. You cannot even open a window.
Right above the bed behind the roof of the room, there is a toilet pipe. Every time someone flashes a toilet above you in the building, you will hear it come past, number 2's will make you feel sick as you hear it hit the end of the pipe.

The other guests on our floor were always loud at all times of the day & night, I asked 1 woman to keep it down at 4am, I was told where to go, I spoke to staff about this and was told "they can be loud as they paid more for their room".

The area seems to be where locals go to pick up sex workers, walking around looking for dinner at night is quite unsafe, during the day you are offered drugs between the hotel & the transport hubs (the bus is a 2 minute walk, while the train is a 10 minute walk).

I think I could have enjoyed Singapore better if we had stayed elsewhere, but I left Singapore really disliking the country.

Room Tip: DO NOT GET ROOM 209, ask for another room or a another hotel.
3  Thank Steven D
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I have used the Fragrance Ruby a couple of times this year and for value for money in Singapore I rate it very highly I have stayed at several other hotels around Geylang but this is my preferred hotel of choice. Staff are very friendly, and the free wi-fi in the lobby is very useful. Rooms are basic but clean and tidy and more than adequate for a night or two. Lots of choice for cheap food and drinks in Geylang Road just up the street from the hotel and only around 10 minutes walk to the Aljunied MRT station which is on the East-West line between the airport and city. You can get downtown in about 25 minutes by bus or train. Good quality at a very good price.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank smartcat64
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Since we're normally out doing sight seeings, we only stayed on the hotel during the night. The beds are ok but do not forget to request if you want a single bed or a twin bed (based on the room that you booked). Checking in and out of the hotel was a breeze (probably because it was on a weekday - just a guess).

The hotel is just about 10 minutes walk to the Aljunied Station and from there you can go around the city. There is also a bus plying the Geylang road.

Room Tip: Don't forget to tell your request to the front desk officer before getting your room keys :)
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We got a standard room for 2. It was small but comfortable and clean. It's within walking distance to the nearest metro station so it's easy to move around.

At first I was a bit hesitant to stay here because it is known to be in the red light district, but it was safe and not scary at all. If you are the adventurous type there are a lot of places where you can eat.

If your trip is already confirmed I'd suggest booking through their website directly so you'd get free wi-fi, otherwise you have to pay extra.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Animonina
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We had a one night stay in Fragrance Ruby in March 2014. We actualy booked another 3 nights towards the end of our holliday but have chosen to give up the money just to be sure we don't get home with any deases.

Shortly, we found our room (family room with 3 beds - 620) very small (we expected this) and very dirty (we didn't expect this) - with pubes on the toilet, dirty scratched walls, etc.

The hotel area is really dirty as well - there were rats at nearby restaurants sso be careful if / where you eat.

We complained and asked for a refund through booking.com - we admit the hotel owner was kind enough to give us the option to change to any other frangrance hotel and also a room upgrade. But we kept it simple... anyway a disease costs a lot more than a night in a hotel, not to mention the ruined holliday etc. So we have chosen safety over price - as all other Fragrance hotels have the same kind of reviews.

I guess it depends on what you expect but if you choose Fragrance I suggest bring your own sheets and pillow case from home and hopefully bugs or rats will miss you.

6  Thank martinel