“Newly renovated”

Ranked #123 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Quezon City, Philippines
“Newly renovated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel in the past and i wanted to stay again last September but the hotel was close for renovation. For this trip, I was pleasantly surprised of the huge difference when compared to the old Ruby. The rooms are still small by hotel standard but the space was maximized by the way it was designed and furnished. The bed is more comfortable and the airconditioning is terrific. Considering how hot the weather is, The room was instantly cool in a minute or two. We were a family of 10 and we occupied 5 rooms and each room was different from the other. And for the price we paid, this is definitely a very good alternative. A good value for your money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower floors, free wifi internet service is supposed to be available on the lo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank davehwan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Little bit underestimate, at the beginning. Before arrive at the hotel. Imagining a terrible hotel within a slum area. As I'd been notified by some friends, the hotel is near by the red light district. However, that was an incorrect prejudice

The night life within area didn't annoys me at all. They runs the business nicely and politely. There are no aggressive offers, to anyone who won't take any services from them

The place is really just a walking distance from the MRT and also the bus stop. Also close by with global cuisine options. Convenient stores also available around.

It's a nice hotel. Even though the bedroom and bathroom are small, but the interior design are modern and functional, it also clean and tidy.

Not to be mentioned the staff services and their attitude, really professional and friendly. Two thumbs up for them!

if it placed in other areas such as central business district, shopping & dining centers, amusement park & resort, and the capacity size upgraded, also equipped with more hotel facilities, this place might be rated as a 5 stars hotel.

This hotel is using a right name. Just like a ruby stone, beautiful and calm also warm

Room Tip: Take room between the floor of 2nd and 5th. Because the hotel are level up to the floor of 8th, but...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MTaufikHidayat
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fragrance Hotel - Ruby, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking time to write a review of your hotel stay. And I am glad that the hotel had met your expectations.

I look forward to you recommending your friends to try their stay at this hotel when they come to Singapore.

By the way, loved your remark on the name description of the hotel.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We landed at 3am on a Tiger flight from Perth. We wanted somewhere to crash but didn't want to pay a fortune for a few hours. We found this hotel easy to get to in a taxi from the airport. The staff were helpful, I emailed them from Perth and they noted our late arrival on the booking.
We had a small, clean and tidy room. We had a clean shower in the morning before setting off on the next stage of the journey. Would stay here again short term.

Room Tip: We booked a standard double but were upgraded upon arrival. The 8th floor is supposedly better rooms...
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed her 31st March, until 3rd April. I had a room to myself, and my elderly parents had a room next door. The hotel is a short walk from the MTR (underground) station called 'Aljunied', just 7 stops from the airport. A taxi from the airport, outside at the main taxi rank, cost us $20 Singapore dollars.

We arrived at 2pm, with check in being from 3pm, but they soon found us 2 rooms next door to one another. Reception were very friendly and efficient. As per all the previous comments these rooms are tiny with no room to get suitcases out etc. for me, as a single traveller it was sufficient. My parents found it a bit of a squash. We were not in the rooms long, and we knew before we checked in that the rooms were small so I cannot complain.

The room has no fridge, or wardrobes, but does have a kettle with tea and coffee making facilities, and a hair dryer. There is a tiny rail with coat hangers on sticking out of the wall instead of a wardrobe. There is also a flat screen TV with a few channels on including one that showed mainly UK football! The bathroom drains did smell a bit, as per another previous review, but it was not too bad.

The walls are quite thin and this hotel seems to have quite a few coach parties that leave at about 7am. So even if you want a lie in after 7am forget it!! These coach parties seem to make so much noise each morning with no respect for other guests at all. Maybe the hotel should put some signs up asking other guests to respect one another and keep quiet.

The hotel does provide free wi-fi but it mainly works in reception only. On some occasions I was lucky enough that it worked in my room.

The surrounding area is a red light district but there is no threat to tourists at all. I often walked around, in the evening, on my own, as a white, single, woman and not once felt threatened or scared. There a plenty of local places to eat and also a 7-11 minimart if you need to stock up on drinks etc.

The last time I stayed in Singapore I was lucky enough to stay in the Marriott. The Marriott cost me £170 a night. This cost me £35. For the price paid for this hotel I don't expect a 4 or 5 star hotel. I expect a clean room, with basic facilities, which is what I got

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank PassportUK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Nice accomodation for budget travellers. Neat rooms and bathrooms. The hotel is near the MRT, bus stations and convenient stores. Only comment is that it doesn't have a restaurant or a coffee shop inside the hotel. But overall, the hotel is good. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Edwin B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel between the 15th and 18th of March. The front desk staff was very courteous and helpful at all times. The room itself was tiny - just about right for tourists like us who hardly spend any time at the room apart from retiring for the night. The bathroom, well, I haven't seen such a small bathroom in my life but it is sufficient. One of the problems we had was that since there was no ventilation from the bathroom, it would stink really badly - probably the duct was connected to other rooms but that was one door that had to be shut at all times.
The hotel is located in the red light area of Singapore but we did not face any problems because of that. On the contrary, it was interesting for us to observe this facet of the city. The hotel is not too far from the nearest MRT station - about a 5-10 minute walk away. Availability of food is not a problem - there are a few all night restaurants very close by.

2 Thank Mithun_Hebbar
Cagayan de Oro, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Good thing about this hotel is their rooms have windows unlike to some budget hotels. Our superior room is quiet small, yet it's well kept and and has nice modern design. We only have one luggage so space is not a problem.The bed is fresh and comfortable but short for a 5"9 like my husband. The shower room is so tiny you can't move around but it's clean and has nice interior. The room service is great. Everyday there's room cleaning, fresh towels and two bottles of water. This is located in the red light district so it's a regular sight to see hookers nearby and infront of the hotel. But they won't bother you. Even during our arrival on a midnight we don't feel any discomfort passing them. Though it's better not to stay here if you're travelling alone or for female travellers.MRT is walking distnce about 3 blocks away and a lot of food hawkers close - by. If your looking for cheap, cleAn and comfortable place to sleep in. This hotel could be good for you. But if you like walking around the area there's not much sight to see.All in all our stay here is worth the price.

1 Thank Hiiamceejay