“Small but has All You Need”

Hotel Clover 5 HongKong Street
Ranked #139 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Like previous reviews, I agree the size is one of the smallest I've experienced in Singapore. But how much space do you really need? I travel light with a small luggage so I didn't have any issues. I think this place is ideal for solo / business travelers or couples seeking something cozy.

I chose this hotel because it was still new & fresh, the deco was modern & pleasing, and the location is perfect for getting around the city. As someone who has slept in low budget hostels to Marina Bay Sands, I think the price is about right for what you get. Let's face it, Singapore is not the cheapest location to travel.

Don't worry about the ongoing constructions nearby because they adhere to regular working hours, so unless you're a night owl that sleeps in the day, there will be no issues. The pillows were just right, although I thought the mattress / bed frame was a little high and it takes a bit of effort to get on/off the bed.

Some things I didn't like:
1. How the toilet bowl is facing the basin and is literally next to it. I know space is an issue the designers had to work with, but I found it slightly off putting. By right it should be adjacent to, rather than facing each other.
2. The wardrobe / closet is tiny. Even then, the design of the hanging rack is not ergonomic. Maybe they were trying to be artistic (refer picture), but it's actually not user friendly especially when you're reaching for something at the back. Honestly, I would have been fine with a conventional horizontal bar where you can just place all the hangers and grab whatever you needed.
3. Complimentary breakfast is served buffet style, but don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. The selection is very limited, and if you're a picky eater, you might wanna give it a miss and eat out. Tables were also very limited.

Things I enjoyed:
1. Shower has decent water pressure and temperature control. No fluctuations.
2. Rooftop area is nice for a breather and the surrounding views. The "pool" isn't really designed for swimming, more like dipping.
3. Staff were very friendly and smiled whenever you walked through the front door.
4. Towels and toiletries were of decent quality.

Overall I found the stay pleasant, and compared to the stay I had at similar price category Naumi Liora hotel @ Chinatown in 2013, Clover hotel wins.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank y-hsiang

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Clover hotel is a two star hotel, but no ways a 3 star property. It is ideally located between Chinatown and Clarke Quay. Numerous restaurants and pubs are in walking distance. The hotel has been opened only a few months ago and all is in good condition. The rooms are minuscule and nothing for people with claustrophobia. They are kept in a colourful floral decor. The bed was comfortable but without room for a bedside table. There are only three metal hooks for hanging cloth but no cupboard or shelves. The only place to put my small carry-on suitcase was on the floor in the gangway. It was impossible to place the laptop on the small make-up table under which an uncomfortable stool was placed. The facility includes flat screen TV and a water kettle. In spite of a caution posted in the bathroom not to drink water from the tap, no complemementary water bottles were provided..
The bathroom is separated from the WC. The door opening of the shower cabin is so tidy, that a well-built person hardly fits through. The towels are of good quality.
The setting of the breakfast room next to the reception is cramped place. The offered breakfast absolute ignoble, if not considered ridicule. The swimming pool on the terrace is the size of a paddling pool for small kids. Apart from the location the hotel Clover is ocerpriced and not worth a visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Riesst
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We booked 2 rooms and asked for "connecting door" as i mentioned in booking.com then they said they don't have it. So I asked for side-by-side room and when we checked in and went to the rooms, we got connecting door rooms! What a surprised! Well, we loved that part :) Another best thing was the location. The hotel so close to MRT and Clarke Quay which the reason we booked this hotel. But the tiny small room was overprice. We couldn't do lot move in our room. And the shower are housed in small glass room with the door opens inwards :s bit difficult for me to close the door when I was in the shower room.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Our first night staying here we were greeted by a very useless young man. This (luckily) was our only time we saw him though and the rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful with everything.

The rooms are very small - you have to leave your luggage on the floor (which is small) or under the bed making the room feel messy when you are in it. The showers are housed in small glass rooms where the door opens inwards - without sounding mean, if you are of a plump build, you may find it difficult to get in the shower and close the door as there is little room to do this - for that point, if you are large I would avoid staying here. Luckily none of us are so this was fine.

There is a roof top pool which is great - small but nice. There is also a shower up there in a lockable room with toilet and basin in a wet room style. This was great as we had a late flight at 11pm and the staff allowed us to stay up there all day and use the services even after we had checked out at 9am. This makes this a great hotel as we got to sunbathe all day and then shower before getting on the plane, and with Singapore humidity - this made it a massive plus.

If you're looking for a place just to get your head down then its great. Perhaps a little over priced considering the size of the rooms, but you will be pushed to find a more modern and clean hotel so close to the center.

Room Tip: I think the rooms are all the same to be honest as stayed in 4 different rooms (2 couples staying tw...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 130MikeB130
Reviewed April 11, 2014

The hotel was spotlessly clean.
It is very close to Clarke Quay and this I fear is reflected in the price. The lobby is very small and there are no leaflets or maps to help you get around.
The staff are helpful.
The breakfast was average. When I stayed the coffee/tea maker was broken so there was only orange juice - well actually orange juice drink - very sweet. No effort was made to find a kettle to make tea or coffee. Disappointing.
The decor was pleasing.
I think it is overpriced.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Arrived after a very long trip from the UK. The man at check in couldn't speak much English and wasn't very helpful. But I think he was new. He didn't even show us where the lift was. The lift itself was very hard to use, you needed you key card to get it to work and we had to change ours twice and it still didn't work so we had to take the stairs on a number of occasions.
We finally got to the room and there was a horrible smell inside. Not sure what it was, kind or smelt like gone off soap! Maybe the cleaning products they use were off!?
The room itself was tiny! No room
To move and thankfully I'm a tiny person! The shower was lovely though but leaks into the bedroom as it is right next to the bed. Very powerful and hot though and decent in size.
The toilet room which is separate from the shower was so small when you sit on the loo your basically touching the sink!
Nice free amenities in there though.
Bed was very hard but also seemed comfy and was perfect for a bad back after a long plane journey.
The view... Well there was none just the building site across the road. They didn't seem to do much work though so they were pretty quiet.

Overall a very nice hotel with brilliant location. 5 mins walk from the main bars and shops and loads of to see and do- Chinatown, the botanical gardens and much more.
We are staying here on our return journey so I will update this review with any new things that may happen.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Reviewqueen86
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed at this quaint boutique hotel 3wks ago for 3 nights and what a find it is! Excellent location..walk to Jumbo Seafood Restaurants at Clark Quay and the Fullerton Hotel a short stroll for your Sunday Banquet. Bustling Chinatown is a 5 minute stroll and the MRT which links you to everywhere is just up the road. I caught the MRT to Little India, walked to Kampong Glam District and to Raffles and back to the hotel all this in a couple of hours. Sure the rooms are small, but this is Singapore. More than anything I couldn't fault the staff at this hotel. From the Reception check-in to the Breakfast Service and Room Cleaning, all staff excelled themselves providing the most friendly and hospitable service at all times. Thanks so much for looking after me. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo