Shangri-La Apartments
Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore(Singapore)
Hilton Singapore(Singapore)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewsthe main hotelbedroom apartmenthotel poolorchard roadhotel's facilitiesgreat apartmentsnice apartmenthuge poollaundry roomfamily holidaya bit tiredshort walkwasher dryershuttle busgreat place to staybuffet breakfastan extra bed
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We recently stayed at the Shangrila Apts. for 1 week. We were on holiday and preferred an apartment hotel as it works better with children. I have stayed here 7 years before & I would like to say that little has changed ..... Which also means that the design & aesthetics of the rooms are still the same. However, that would be the ONLY downside to this place.
The location is wonderful, just off Orchard Road but closer to the Botanical Gardens. The area is quiet with very little traffic noise. You are surrounded by green leafy trees. The rooms are clean & well maintained. The apartment building has a lovely pool (beautiful landscapping around it...) with deck chairs & showers. Also, residents have access to the main hotel facilities.
The staff is friendly and very very helpful. They assist you with information & bookings for restaurants, plays, concerts, ferries, Night Safari .....
Each floor has a laundro mat .... A tip, if you use Machines 1, 2 or 3 in the basement, you do not require your own detergent. :)
There are a variety of restaurants & a few grocery stores within 5 mins. walk. The loaction is very central to most parts of Singapore.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Samya_MaMumbai
Reviewed May 29, 2013

How do you get rewarded for staying longer and giving your patronage to a hotel? They want to charge you more!
This is not a new property and is in need of an upgrade but overall it is clean and convenient with its location a short distance from Orchard Road. When I first checked in for a month I told them that if liked it I'd stay as I was looking for a no-hassle, convenient place to stay while doing business in Singapore - I'd probably need a place for six months - great they said and welcome. Paid in advance for the month and received a SGD200-00 coupon towards laundry, two airport transfers and complimentary breakfast at The Line. (Oh but by the way we will not provide you with shampoo or soap.... err okay Shangri La congrats on saving the twenty cents every day).
Come the second month am informed that now my super special offer is two month deposit, 1 transfer to airport and 10 breakfasts free...

Stupid sales tactics lead to lost sales; bye bye Shangri La Apartments (suggest you overhaul your sales department or their policies).

Please note fellow travelers that the service staff in the hotel are friendly and efficient and my review merely reflects the stupidity (greediness) of the sales team.

Room Tip: Rooms in another serviced apartment will provide a better overall experience.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Simon R
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Shangri-La Apartments at the beginning of 2013 for two months. I was apprehensive given the not so stellar reviews but overall it was a good place. It doesn't quite live up to the Shangri-La name but it was decent.

We had a 2 bedroom apartment that was clean albeit run down in some areas i.e . shower door would not close all the way, chip on the glass closet door, stains on the carpet. I also wish the windows could be opened. We were living in air condition 24/7 and sometimes the weather was so nice outside that it was a shame we had keep the AC on. Plus, some fresh air would have been great just to air the place out.

The staff were always very helpful and any issues we had were promptly resolved. They had a free shuttle down to the Orchard Rd area that we made use of quite often for grocery runs but it was also just as convenient to walk down if the weather was nice. Instead of calling for a taxi at the apartments, save yourself a few dollars and walk up to the hotel's taxi queue and catch one there. There is also another shuttle run by Paragon up at the hotel although we never used it.

We spent a significant amount of time by the pool and it was never very crowded. They added 2 more umbrellas towards the end of our stay which helped a lot since there is not much shade. The only downside is that if you sit near the shallow end of the pool you will frequently get wafts of sewer smell most likely from the other side of the wall by the road. Not sure what can be done about that but it is quite awful given the beautiful setting. Apartment guests could also use the hotel swimming pool but because we had little one with us we could never be bothered to walk over there since she was just as happy with the one on-site. My husband used the hotel gym a number of times and thought it was very well-equipped and luxurious.

The kitchen was small but functional. Strangely enough, when we took an inventory of the kitchenware and it came up short the designated number (6 or 8?), we were told that they don't replace them. So for some of the glasses where we only had 4 or 5, we had to wash them more frequently so we had enough to use especially when we had visitors. We cooked often but also had the breakfast buffet and dinner at The Line (in the hotel) a few times which we really enjoyed. We also used their complimentary coffee/cappuccino machine in the business centre almost daily. It churned out a decent cup.

We had a good stay and thought the location was convenient and excellent for getting the lay of the land. As we haven't stayed in any of the other serviced apartments here it's hard to say where the Shangri-La Apartments rank but I think next time I would probably try something else for a change.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the elevators are much quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We just completed 10 days with the family at Shangri La Apartments. It was the perfect mix for us, as I had work to do in Singapore and South Korea whilst my wife intermittently had to get into her Singapore Offices in Changi Biz Hub. Its a great location, the facilities are 1st class with access to not only the apartment pool but the hotel main pool, gym facilities & everything else you could ever wish for. The free wireless internet around the place is so powerful. Access to laundry washer & dryer on each floor, a very good kitchenette area in each apartment, but above all we loved the staff. Our maid servicing our floor was great (the smiliest woman I have ever met!) but the star of the show was Sue Rosales at front desk. My 2 boys, wife and I love her and we are taking her home with us next time. She made our stay memorable and helped me out on a few occasions like the time I left my Ipad on our SQ flight inbound from London. The thing was virtually at the Shangri La apartments before I was...like that would happen in the UK!! We left our swimming costumes in the dryer when we left....Sue had it packed and in a taxi which was hand delivered to us as we check in at Changi at departure....and so it goes on. This is customer service taken to another level and for us Europeans frankly extraordinary. We will be back in 2014.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
SLSGM, General Manager at Shangri-La Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2017

Dear James B,

Many thanks for a great review on Tripadvisor. We are looking forward to your return in the near future.

Warmest Regards,
Reto Klauser
Vice President and General Manager

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Our travel agent raved about the Shangri-La Singapore, saying it was one of the best in the world, in his opinion. He said he would notify his contacts at the hotel to give us some VIP treatment. So at check-in I came with high expectations. Things looked promising when reception announced that we were being upgraded.

But alas, they put us into a bland, soulless, musty two-bedroom two-bath on the third floor at the Shangri-La Apartments. My heart sank when I saw the place. I suppose they considered it to be an upgrade, but I’m wondering if I might have been happier in a standard hotel room with a bit more style on a higher floor with maybe a view.

Also the tiles of the pool at the Shangri-La Apartments could use a scrub. They were a bit fuzzy from lack of use, I think. The big pool at the hotel complex didn’t have that problem.

I came away disappointed with my experience at the Shangri-La.

Room Tip: Stick to the hotel; avoid the apartments.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple