“Horrible Value!”

Hotel 81 - Chinatown
Ranked #250 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed here after coming here pretty late in the night after an unpleasant start to my Singapore move - didnt have time to check on Agoda or Expedia for room deals so approached them for a price. SG$140 for a chicken coop sized room with no internet. Asked them for complimentary wifi and they came up with a price US$10 even though I was only staying from 2 AM to 9 AM. Asked them for a late check-out and was given a time of 2:30 PM - came in a few minutes late as I was rushing back from office and the lady at the counter demanded 15 dollars more in a very surly way - managed to convince her that my suitcase was packed and just needed to bring it down. Her look of disgust was fairly upsetting. Anyways would never recommend this hotel to anyone unless they only want to stay in Chinatown - the least you can do is employ staff who are helpful but I think for the hotel industry "ripping people off" is what they do best here.

Room Tip: Try and choose a room in another hotel! :)
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank zeesh2
There are newer reviews for Hotel 81 - Chinatown

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Easy 45 minute MRT ride from Changing Airport to Chinatown and hotel is 100 yards away from station on New Bridge Street.
All rooms are small but adequate Very little space for luggage so better for light travelers
Specifically there for F1 and very good rate
Internet free but annoying that password is changed everyday
No breakfast facilities but Chinatown on doorstep and plenty of choice
They love to use deodorizers here and when we arrived overpowering!
Asked to get the windows opened( which are locked) to let natural air in They obliged whilst we went out for a couple of hours but cannot leave windows opened I think it must be something to do with the A/C and also with the windows closed there is little street noise
Request room cleaner not to deodorize room if staying more than 1 night so problem is not repeated the next day
Bathroom very small and typical "wet" room but overall small accommodation very clean
We had late check out at 1 pm with no extra charge and able to get last morning in strolling around the area and able to keep luggage in room
TV with selection of English and Asian channels There is also a VCR
2 free bottles of water and coffee machine
Body wash and hair shampoo dispenser in bathroom
Friendly staff
If you need a hotel to totally unwind ,use common areas and facilities this is not the place to be but if you just need a place to sleep and then either work or explore its a good deal

Room Tip: Ask for a street room although the windows do not open not as claustrophobic Interior rooms have n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Had a chance to visit Singapore for a weekend and decided to give this place a try. The biggest motivation of picking this hotel was the price and location.

For what I needed for my visit, this hotel was more than adequate.

My biggest complaint would be about the walls are not properly sound proof and I was able to hear all the sounds coming from other rooms.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Looking for a budget hotel in Singapore is quite easy but sometimes the standard is just too low. Not so this hotel which albeit basic is quite sufficient. The location right in Chinatown is brilliant and Chinatown is the place to see in Singapore. Stayed for 3 nights which was enough and I am glad that I declined the corporate hpotel that my company arranged for something far more interesting!

Room Tip: Ask fior a quiet room!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Location: Great location which is just few steps away from Chinatown MRT entrance & next to Chinatown Point Shopping mall.
Cleanliness: The room cleanliness is good and nothing much to complain. However, the corridor of level 4 is with strong cooking smell. (I m not sure whether there is restaurant next door or what)
Room size: Room size is a bit too small for 2 persons but still acceptable.
Others:We are required to pay an additional of SD30 for the additional bed for 3rd person. However, the room size can only allow an additional of XXS size mattress on the floor (about 1/2 width of a super single mattress).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I travel every couple of months and we found Singapore was a really tough place to find accommodation in. Most places were either over budget for us or were clearly hovels. We chose this one as there was a wide range of reviews and we hoped that we would be lucky. Our rule when we travel is that as long as a place is clean and safe, it will do for sleeping and leaving our stuff in.

The location of the hotel is first class. You literally couldn't have a better location, as the subway is across the road and there is a lot to see in the local area. The cleanliness of the hotel also can't be faulted, and as other reviewers have noted, the smell of bleach hits you as soon as you enter. The room is very small, but pretty much what we expected for this price.

The cons, however, for us outweighed the pros, as the sleep quality was horrendous. I am the sort of person who can sleep through a whole flight or crash on an airport floor and I hardly slept at all in this hotel, as the light from the street practically lit up the whole room. The noise also meant that even when I did manage to sleep, I would be awoken by doors being banged shut and people coming in from evenings out, shouting to their friends. The lack of shut eye really impacted on my holiday, as I hardly felt up to a day out in the city, after being awake half the night.

I regretfully give this hotel 2/5. This is unfortunate as there were some good things, and I loved Singapore. Soundproofing would be a great thing. Nothing messes with my sleep!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room that doesn't face onto the street. It may be quieter for you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dubaipenguinchick
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We planned to stay here for four nights.

Location: It's hard to fault the location. Across the road from the Chinatown MRT entrance, you won't get sweaty before reaching the subway. There are eateries, including the Maxwell Road Hawker Centre with the greatest Hainanese chicken rice in all of the world, within walking distance, as well as the Marina Bay Area. Clarke Quay is also one MRT stop away. It was nice to be able to run down to Marina Bay for a morning run until I got cocky and then stepped in a hole and sprained my ankle, but I digress.

Rooms: As other reviewers have mentioned, if you don't plan on staying in the room often and don't have a lot of luggage, you'll probably be ok. I'll add that if you don't mind the the toilet being practically inside the shower, you'll be ok. In the room we had, there was no space to open either of our suitcases completely. Our room also smelt of smoke, and after a request to change rooms, we could only get the room sprayed with toilet spray smelling deodorizer. The air con unit above the bed was extremely noisy.

Service: In my opinion, they provided the minimum amount of service possible to avoid being classed as indifferent.

We ended up checking out one night early and checking in to the Mandarin Orchard.

My recommendation: If you are a bit of a princess, or your partner is a bit of a princess (aka likes to find things to complain about like getting her feet wet when using the toilet), then I would pay a bit more to stay somewhere else to avoid the hassle. Otherwise, this is a good location to stay in and at the ceiling of being good value.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple