“comfortable hotel with good value”

The Fragrance Hotel (Joo Chiat)
Ranked #150 of 312 Hotels in Singapore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We arrived at the hotel just after 7am to be told we couldnt get into our room until 3pm. When I complained that we were tired we were told we could be in by 1pm. We went into Orchard Road for a few hours and when we got back our room was still not available. We had a tour booked for 1.30p.m pickup. We were told that when the room became available they would take our baggage to our room. We arrived back at hotel at approx. 9.30p.m. and baggage was still in the baggage room. Hotel room was clean but very small and the bathroom had no shower recess so the water from the shower went all over the bathroom. Even the toilet was wet. Lucky we had only booked for 2 nights.

Room Tip: Ours was a superior room, so not sure what else was available.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda S
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Fragrance Hotel (Joo Chiat), responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your feedback of your hotel stay.

Due to heavy occupancy, our hotel was not able to provide an available room when you arrive in the morning. As you have not registered your check in at our Front Desk upon your arrival, our Front Desk Staff could not assign a room and arrange your bags to be delivered. Hence, your bags had to be stored in the luggage room until your return to the hotel.
Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We recently had a few nights at the Fragrance...very low cost but pretty happy with the room.

1st, it is small, vry small (so small i had to leave the "e" out of very). But it was clean and tidy, the tv and fridge worked.

The beds have a plastic undersheet, which i understand is to prevent bugs etc and it clearly works.. but comfort is reduced for cleanliness.

The room has cups and tea/coffee however it does not have a kettle, but there is access to boiling water on each floor.

The location is OK, a little out of the way, but again, you get what you pay for, there are plenty of food places and a supermaket nearby.

The service and staff were faultless, could not hope for better service, courteous, knowledgeable and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TrueBloo
London
Reviewed October 9, 2012

On arrival we were given a small room that bearly allowed us room for our bags with space to move, we were prepared for a small room having read other reviews, but this was very small, then my wife noticed in the "wet room" bathroom, that the drain cover was loose, and after moving it, small ants started coming out. Immediately we decided to ask for another room after a short conversation we were offered a room later that day, on our return we were given a superior, this apparently means larger but with the same fitting.

As we really only wanted a place to sleep, this did the job ok. The location is fine, and we found it easy to get the bus to the closest MRT station Dakota, although Paya Lebar is a little close on a hot day we really did not fancy the walk (no direct buses).

Regarding the staff, I would not say that they were directly rude to us, but could have been more helpful when asked questions.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I checked in and waited for 20 mins before i get a room. The staffs are bot smiling... They are not accomodating! They let me carried my heavy luggage into their storage area. They dont know how to anticipate guest needs.
You ask questions you receive rude answers! Sorry but this hotel needs training for their staffs...

• Stayed September 2012
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Fragrance Hotel (Joo Chiat), responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I am sorry to learn that your experience with our Front Desk Staff was not a very satisfying one. Your feedback is important to us and I would be grateful if you can provide more information (Guest name and date of stay) via private message, so that I can conduct an investigation.

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Reviewed October 6, 2012

They don't know how to take good care of their guest :( please educate the staff! And they don't know how to smile. The only friendly staff is the housekeeping auntie... Even we stayed in geylong last time, the staffs had same kind of attitude......

• Stayed October 2012
San Jose, CA
Reviewed October 3, 2012

A lot of people stay away from Geylang area hotels for a reason. This one is an exception though. There are no "naughty" places around this hotel even though I noticed a few Karaoke bars with gilrs smoking outside. So, I decided to book a hotel room here and did so on Hotels.com. When I arrived at the hotel, they informed me that my booking had been moved to Fragrance Rose because of unavailability at this hotel. I protested because my business was near to Joo Chiat Road and I wanted to stay only in that hotel. Floy was kind enough to accommodate me in a nice room (don't know how). She made sure that I had a good stay and everything was taken care of.

My only complaints would be about the missing shower curtains and the bad quality of bedding. Other than that, I had a good stay at Fragrance, Joo Chiat Road. At no point, I felt threatened or disturbed by the naughtiness that Geylang is famous for!

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business