“Cheap for Singapore - not as bad as I expected from reviews”

Fragrance Hotel - Crystal
Ranked #182 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
“Cheap for Singapore - not as bad as I expected from reviews”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Have to remember this hotel is cheap for Singapore. Good location for airport - taxi around $20. Can MRT it but bit of a walk from Aljunied station with luggage. Otherwise walk is ok. The hotel itself I thought was alright for a budget hotel. The worst thing for me was the location directly around. Bit seedy and few annoyances as you walk around but if you just ignore and pretend you didn't hear seems to be ok. I spent most of my time out and about so hotel suited me. Bed a bit hard but normal by asian hotel standards it seems. Also the shower is like a wet room with no curtain or anything to keep water from going all over toilet and room - another thing that can be common in asian hotel rooms. Ok stay overall - wouldn't stay for longer than a couple of nights though or if you wanted a holiday resting around hotel and using facilities this isn't for you. Somewhere to sleep, shower and store bags then a good cheap option.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Luzon, Philippines
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I traveled with my family on a tour package with a tri city deal...Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. Our Hotel accommodation was not an issue at all to us because the hotel has its basic necessities a travelers should have..it has a bed, a.c., t.v., a toilet and a shower...it's not luxurious but the hotel is CONVENIENT enough for us to stay during our travel tour..Knowing Singapore of its SAFETY we feel secure anywhere we go. Our tour guide told me about GEYLANG area and it's night life status but i felt there was no need to fear anything as he also assured me that it's the way life there..Since we only stay for a couple of days, I assumed that things will be okay..it is safe to say that the place itself is safe unless you are provoking somebody something would happen otherwise.

Well, for me I can humbly say that staying with FRAGRANCE HOTEL CRYSTAL during our vacation is convenient enough..hotel towels are new everyday except that there was no extra hotel sandals as we expect to have, good thing was we brought our own for unexpected things...We took our lunch and dinner within the GEYLANG area and so far foods are great..it is still a matter of how one appreciates food one way or the other...I would recommend other travelers to go by your means or whatever pleases you..this Hotel may not be a 5 star hotel but the feeling of convenience is basically acceptable for everybody...we hope we can travel back in Singapore sometimes in the future...good luck FRAGRANCE HOTEL CRYSTAL..

Room Tip: Hotel Rooms are closed and sound proof...whatever rooms provided for as long as it is clean and conv...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Marikina, Philippines
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Fragrance Crystal Hotel last week from April 2-5 and had pretty good stay here. This is one of the cheapest hotel to stay in Singapore. Lobby area was small but clean and the receptionists are very helpful (all of them! :-)). They are very accommodating and even taught us how to get to diff places (with precise instructions). Not only to us but to all the guests (I saw it real time). They gave a us a Superior Room and contrary to what I have been reading here for the past months, there were NO roaches around. Everyday, they always clean our room and the bed sheets smells good too. Some of the locals there told us that even though we’re located in a Red Light District where in so many women roaming around (you know what I mean), it is still safe here and that is true. They will not mind you walking and there were lights all over the place so it’s very safe. The receptionists even gave us our itinerary for the next day and even called our Travel agency to make sure that somebody will pick us up the next day.

KUDOS to the staff and crew of Fragrance Crystal Hotel! Keep it up! :-) 

To all travellers, if you are looking for a budget room, this is the place to stay.

Thanks,
Rod Roa

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rod R
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights. Nothing great other than the cheap rates. The rooms are bit old and cramped. But for singapore cost of living, it seems not bad. They will charge you 40 sgd for early checkin or late check out. Toilets are clean but not of great standards. The reception is not that friendly but you cannot expect more for this price. Still average. You can get guide famlets in the reception for assistance. No restaurant but you can find cheap restaurants all around the place. 10 -15 min walk from Al junaid MRT but its easier getting cab or bus to all other places. Estimated travel time to the airport is 15 min by cab and 30 min by MRT including the walking distance to the MRT. Preffered for all who look for budget accomodation in Singapore and dont mind living in the red light district of singapore. The hotel has a luggage room facility which can be useful for travellers to Tahiland or Malayasia. The wifi is chargable. Ladies will be all around but no worries if you can take care of yourself !!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a superior room itself as the receptions guys will place you to small rooms and cl...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank jacobeasaw
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I booked and stayed in this hotel in Jan 2010. It was quite cheap, around 50 SGD per day.
I stayed there for about 2 wks while looking for a semi permanent accomodation.

Service: okay.. at least the staff are still receptive, and accomodating. I requested for an iron and they can lend me one.
Value: Great. This hotel is one of the best budget hotel.
Sleep Quality: Great. I can sleep without problem. Aircon is working fine.
Cleanliness: Great. Quite clean for a budget hotel.
Location: Not so great. It is about 15-20 mins walk to the nearest MRT station, and food is quite a distance as well. and the hotel is located at red light district.
Rooms: Quite cozy. The shower is okay. At least the hot water is there.
Restaurant: Not applicable.
Room Service: quite okay. usually an erderly guy or lady will come everyday to clean the room and sheets.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
jakarta
Reviewed March 10, 2014

(+) This hotel is very close to bus station and it's easy to get a taxi from this hotel area. If you just arrived from Aljunied MRT station, just walk to the right side it's took around 10 minutes of walk and the road just right behind geylang lor 21. The hotel is close to the airport ,the estimate around 15 minutes ride by taxi to reach the airport.

(-) Since i am arriving very late nite and i'm feeling so tired i just ignored founding the blood spot my bed sheet but in the morning i asked for help to replaced my bed sheet with the new one yes they do well done to my room after thta
If you bring young children just beware because on the morning at 5.30 AM we still can see some chicks standing right beside the hotel. As we know the hotel price in singapore very costly, for me i dont mind if i am coming back again to singapore and want to saving my budget i will stay at this hotel again

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Cape Paterson, Australia
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Situated squarely in the Red Light district of Geylang this hotel - like most of the others nearby - is very much at the cheap end of the market. From what I could tell this area is popular with tourist groups from nations such as Taiwan and Malaysia who really don't want to pay the big prices of the usual Singapore accommodation options.

Be that as it may if you are on a tight budget hotels like this are pretty good. Very friendly staff, plenty of tour brochures, very basic though clean room and your own facilities and you are only a few minutes walk from the main road with its bus line options. Though be warned this area doesn't have the usually famous access to the Singapore MRT and it seemed that most taxis passing through already had a fare.

All up this place suited my needs and was in many respects a carbon copy of every other Fragrance Hotel... it's just that as you go down the price ladder the fittings and locale get more and more basic.

Room Tip: Beware - it may look cheap but think that you may have to spend much more on transport - you may be...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo