“A pleasant stay”

Fragrance Hotel - Crystal
Ranked #184 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This was my first visit to Singapore. The hotel was easy to locate and the rooms were nice as clean. All basic amenities were available, although the room was slightly smaller than expected. The staff were friendly and helpful. The locality is very vibrant and colorful, and the fact that it is a red light district is not at all a discomfort. All in all a cheap yet comfortable place to stay in an otherwise costly city. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
1  Thank Anik S

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Since my friend and I are on a tight budget as we want to spend more on things/experience rather than on hotels, we picked this hotel.

I should say, they have great service! Staff were really nice. Also, wi-fi is free IF you reserve through mail. It would be great if you'd book at least 2 weeks before you're stay here. We booked 2 weeks through mail. My friend e-mailed the staff and requested for a room with a window, and we did get a room with a window! We came at Fragrance Hotel Crystal around 10:30 AM and the staff were nice enough to look out for our staff while we go to Bugis and roam around places (our check-in time is actually 3 PM). We came back to get our stuff and put it in our room at around 4 PM.

As for the room, I didn't expect it to be THAT spacious. I mean, compared to that room we stayed in at Hong Kong, this one is pretty huge! It's like a 1/3 of the room we've previously slept in! I was quite shocked. Room is also clean!! Bathroom is also spacious. Bed is comfy and my friend and I slept with ease. Hmm, the only thing that I could say bad is that there were lots of mosquitoes. Good thing my friend got her insect repellent.

Location is not exactly quite nice and as safe like the other areas because it is situated in Geylang (red light district), but fret not 'cause it's not that dangerous at night! Just don't make eye contact with people and you'll be fine. It's actually nice to go out at night and experience the night life there! Also, going to the MRT is a good 10 - 15 minutes walk, unless you run then that would be ...less.

You don't have to worry about food, 'cause the area is abundant with it! You should try hawker places, but if you prefer fancy, well, there's no fancy restaurant nearby. While you're at it, try prata, teh peng (my absolute favorite drink, YOU SHOULD TRY THIS), kaya toast, Singaporean coffee and Chicken rice! Lots of food which cost less, but they're definitely yummy!

Overall, we had a great stay at this hotel and I would recommend this the best to budget travelers and to people who are quite the adventurous type.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window! It's better!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Glenne S
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

In the middle of a red light district makes for some interesting people and looks. Lots of fun..not far away from MRT and bus route.

Super cheap because of long stay in Singapore, so wasn't expecting much from the room. Got what we payed for. Singapore hotels elsewhere were very expensive.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2013

This hotel is located in the middle of the red light district so if you have a problem with that, then go somewhere else. This was a late booking as I had to book one extra night in Singapore.

Got here around 11am from Chinatown and our room wasn't ready yet. It looked like it was being used by locals as a lot of people were there and no one else had any luggage. Took them a while to find my Expedia booking, left our luggage and went to go sightseeing. Got the room for $50 night while rack rate was $79 SGD.

Room was bigger than hotel in Chinatown, about 10-12 minute walk to MRT station. Lots of places to eat around there, we went to the Chinese place recommended by Lonely Planet.

I asked if we had to call for a taxi to the airport as we had a early morning flight out. Was told yes but there are actually lots of taxi's around, due to the red light district? About 15 minute ride to the airport, normally this would cost 12SGD but we paid 50% since it was before 6am.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Techboy
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I CHECK IN at 2 am in morning. out side few girls apporch me before even enter to the hotel. very much red area. staff were so rude as well. when i said staying one night they gave me dirty room. i made this booking via make mytrip to understand 4 star hotel OH GOD not evern 2star thist hotel. with family no way i suggest this hotel at all. even alone i wil stay away from this hoteal and location.

Room Tip: i dont suggest this hotel or any room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2013

When i travel with someone other than my significant other, it's important for me to have 2 beds. At this hotel, it's 'subject to availability'. We arrived here and they don't have a room with two beds. It's non-refundable...!!?? Ended up paying $20 extra to get a family room with two beds. Had i known this, i would have booked with other hotel.

I'm not a clean freak. I dont freak out over a hair or two. Bathroom floor was full of long black hair, moldy, trash near the window, something gross in the sink....noisy room, noisy AC. Everything was dusty in the room.

The staff were nice.

I had a better experience at the Fragrance Ruby. I wouldnt stay here if i were you.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Mayoplane
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here because it was on the cheaper end of the scale (we payed $40 for a double, no breakfast).
The room is absolutely fine, clean, large enough and quiet.
The location of the hotel is in the red light district, but in Singapore this is not a dangerous area.
Theres lots of good restaurants on your doorstep here and only 10mins walk to the MRT station.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple