“Fine for 1 night”

Fragrance Hotel - Crystal
Ranked #184 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here 1 night as I was meeting my husband in Singapore and he was flying in early the next morning. Knew this hotel was in the red light district when I booked it but I was taken aback by the blatant prostitution everywhere. I went for a walk to find some food in the early evening and for the first 10 minutes I was the only women who was not a prostitute, made me a little uncomfortable. Although I never felt threatened in the least bit. Also there was no Western food anywhere near the hotel but if you don't mind traditional food it was everywhere. Rooms were average with plastic foam mattresses like you would find at the Doctors, sheets come off. Very noisy hotel, can hear everything in the hallways and other rooms. Even with all that the rooms are a great deal. I would not stay more than one night or bring children to this hotel but if you want something cheap and easy the place is fine. Personally would probably stay at a Fragrance in another part of Singapore next time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed 03 nights at Fragrance Hotel Crystal from 18 - 21 JAN 13 with overall positive experience. Hotel is localed in Gayleng lor 18 which is walk to Aljunied MRT Staion around 10 mins. and 200 meters walk to Geylang road where you can take bus no.2 to go to Chinatown within 20 minutes. And well, take only 20 minutes from Shangi Airport to hotel by Taxi which approx SGD 20 - 25 per trip for night time.

Hotel's itself is ok, even you have to walk pass some red light commercial but it's more safe than other red light in the world. Room 402 Superior room is good size for 02 people. Everything same as picture show air con work well. Hot water is expected room is clean, bed is enough for my good sleeping journey. TV channel is vaious choice which i can watch Australia Open too.

The negative thing for this hotel is wifi, it's not free and very expensive. Singapore is difficult to find the wifi connection. No wifi in public area even you can search public wifi but it's not work. So, please make sure you buy net sim card if you are network socialism

Overall, if you are ok and don't mind stay here for SGD 60 - 70 per night is good choice :)

Room Tip: Make sure you get room with twin bed, DBL bed is too small. NON SMOKING ROOM IS A MUST!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fragrance Hotel - Crystal, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

I appreicate you for taking time to post a review of your hotel stay.

I wished to explain that our hotel is a non-smoking preoprty and we do not allow smoking in our premise and rooms. However at times, guests might smoke inside the room without our knowledge. In situations like this, we will try our best effort to arrange a room change or cleanise the room air, if the guest is not comfortable with the room.

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

The rooms were compeletly difference than what we've seen on internet.all the walls were covered blight cause of humidity and they charged more than the price on tripadvisor.for this price you can find beter places.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Having mistakenly booked this hotel (instead of another Fragrance Hotel), we arrived here at 10pm to be greeted by a group of men in the lobby, introducing themselves and suggesting we go back to their rooms. The first room we saw was filthy with cockroaches, stained bedding and a damp smell. We were then given a second room and only stayed as it was so late at night. There was noise of men's voices coming and going all night, shouting outside and somebody rang at our door at 5am. The bed sheets were dirty and the plastic undersheet was particularly unpleasant. There were dark hairs on the bathroom floor, dirty carpets and soft furnishings. The reception staff were unpleasant and disinterested. Their customer service manager has refused to refund our second night and suggested I read some of the reviews from visitors on the Agoda website. Here were some of the more interesting reviews:

"probably the worst fragrance hotel i ever stayed.. there were a lot of small cockroaches in the room.. in total i managed to kill five. request for a change of room but instead the reception told me that they were going to call the cleaner tom clean up the room. The cleaner did not do anything except to spray some insecticide here and there, making the room smell bad."

"Hotel was ok if one stays out of the room most of the day"

"the hotel is right in the heart of the red light district so having fun going around. Lots of restaurants as well. No wifi! Staff never smile to customers and I felt that they are a bit discriminative knowing that I got a 50% discount price! Mention hotel policy in way that I think they assume me would break the rule "if you smoke in the room, you have to pay 100 for cleaning" "dont check out after 12 noon ok?" Anyway I dont expect them offering good customer service. Lot of people came here for a 2 hours stay!"

"We booked a superior room that was small room which is not called superior room. And this room can saw a small cockroach walking around in the bathroom and on the floor. The bed in not convenient to sleep and the pillow also got a bad smell. "

"Otherwise, the rooms were tiny, the beds were uncomfortable (covered in plastic and old/musty bedding), out-dated furnishings, dirty walls and someone had left the window open before we arrived because bugs had taken over the room long before we got there. The room was also not very sound proof- all I could hear all night were people shutting doors and the ringing of the elevator every 2 seconds. I've stayed in some dingy hotels and hostels before but this one is somewhere at the top of my list."

A terrible experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank mel293916
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed three nights here, nothing to complain about if you're on a budget. That said we wanted to see Singapore, we weren't in the room much at all. Small room with small/clean ensuite. Hard bed but clean sheets. Hotel is in the red light district but you wouldn't know it if you didn't.... know it. You might see a few working ladies hanging around outside after dark, but they won't bother you. It's a short walk to the Aljunied MRT station altho it's an even SHORTER walk to catch the bus to the Orchard Road and they run frequently. Go out behind the hotel and walk down about three blocks. You can't miss the bus stop. We used the bus constantly. We felt safe here, even in the dark. Desk staff were friendly and stored our luggage for us before check in / after check out at no charge. It's a little too bad that it's so far out of town but of course that accounts for the great price. Plus you get to see parts of the city you would probably never see otherwise! There are alot of hotels in the immediate area and none look any better than this one (from the outside at least). I bet this is pretty standard. I totally forgot to take pictures of it, our Singapore experience was quite rushed!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank carleen1986
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed 4 nights there...2 at the beginning of my trip and 2 at the end....Small room, not much decoration, green walls, firm imatress covered with vinyl with clean white sheets, good a/c, coffee for 2, bottles of water, hair dryer...basic standard accomodation with a super great price for Singapore! not far from Aljunied MRT and busses...no breakfast is served ..you will not find western meals available around... but plenty of small restos chineese, indian... cheap and very good by the way!Do not get intimidated by the fact this hotel is situated on a red light street (legal in Singapore) neighborhood is quiet after all, secure...it is a hotel where tourists busses stop for the night...so it can get noisy (door banging) in the morning when every body is leaving... staff is friendly and helpful and all my requests including cab reservations, wake up calls were dealt timely and professionnaly...All in all...it is a no frill accomodation for a budget concious traveller who wants to explore Singapore rather than stay in his room!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SRacine
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This hotel is a 5minute walk to MRT (subway) which is the best part about it--other than price. The room is small and not super clean although sheets were clean. Bathroom and shower were very basic but mostly clean.

NOt terrible if you need to crash for a night but I wouldn't recommend if you are staying more than one day.

Also, VERY thin walls--you will hear everything!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank amandat126