Ways to Experience Lian Shan Shuang Lin Temple
from $19.36
More Info
All reviews housing estate sleeping buddha great architecture concrete jungle worth a visit contemplation hdb culture donation prayer visitors ornate photographs beauty light
Selected filters
Reviewed February 16, 2019

Don't miss it! Visit Shuang Lin Monastery if you're visiting Singapore! Great architecture, an eye opener for me!

Date of experience: November 2018
Reviewed February 10, 2019 via mobile

Visited the Lian Shan Shuan Lin monastery and it was a memorable experience. Started by visiting the Taoist temple at the very end and then worked my way to the Buddhist temple. Beautiful statues of Buddha, great architecture, nice views made it memorable. The Virtue Hall with the Sleeping Buddha is such an amazing place. It is filled with this peaceful, calm energy that has to be experienced. A good place to visit for tourists and locals. Surely visiting again.

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed September 23, 2018

I would really recommend anyone who loves arts and culture to this place. Take an hour or two to be immerse in the history of this place, it is 120 years old but very well-maintained.

It is my first visit to the monastery, even though I've been residing in the neighborhood for 8 years, has left me very impressed. I didn't realize how huge the monastery is, and the astounding structures of each temple.

The monastery usually closes at 5pm, but it happened to be Mid-Autumn Festival so they stayed open till 10pm. So it was really a rare occasion to be visiting at night and admiring the lantern decorations that they have put up.

If we had more time, we would have spend 2-3 hours slowly studying the structure and spending more time in each temple.

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed September 2, 2018

I was not sure what to expect when I decided to walk 1h30 to get to the monastery, but I saw it while crossing by taxi during my stay and was very drawn to it. I do not regret going, it was beautiful, enlightening, an overall very deep experience. From 4pm to 5pm monks have their end of the day ceremony with mantras.Good people are there, make it a stop during your stay.

It is an active temple so people come in to seek guidance to their Gods, peace and quiet is requested throughout the temple, but I was in regular attire and was welcomed in, it is open to all public, the doors close at 5pm.

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed August 31, 2018

A beautiful Chinese temple lots of colourful buildings and ornate design.
A bit off the beaten track and when we were there there were no other tourists, unfortunately photographs were not permitted inside the temples
We took the 139 bus from orchard road which dropped us off within a 8 minute walk.

Date of experience: August 2018