“Sorry, but we couldn't get out of this place fast enough!”

The Sleepy Kiwi Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #94 of 240 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

After arriving close to midnight from a long flight, we checked in to our private room. Shutter style door failed to provide any buffering from the adjacent dorms which were packed with people, some completely ignorant (e.g., talking on their cell phones in the middle of the night). Every space was so cramped and overcrowded, we were surprised that legally they can sleep that many people there. Our room was just wide enough to cram a set of bunk beds in and just deep enough to allow the door to swing open and not hit the beds. Half of the space in front of the bunk beds had a huge platform nearly the height of the top bunk. So basically only one person could stand up and the other had to sit on the bottom bunk. Bugs swarming in and around the little cups of breakfast condiments. Ughhh...we couldn't get out of this place fast enough.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank JTRTW2014

Reviewed June 17, 2014

It was a great pleasure to stay at Kiwi, since the hotel situated in a place of art.
Environment is awesome.
Also service offered by hotel was above average, the key concern is WIFI singnal, it was very poor at rooms.
Over all "Great Experience"

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank SelvaKumar A
Reviewed June 1, 2014

The location is great for proximity to Little India, boat quay, and CBD on foot. The nightlife right in arab street is a lot of fun with boutique bars, cafes, an array of asian and middle Eastern food.

I wanted to mention especially how helpful the staff was in explaining the area, and then mailing me my credit cards which I left in a locker! That was over and above the call of duty.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Wandering T
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Well it's Singapore, we couldn't expect cheaper hostel. Overall the staff were quite nice and I like the breakfast, they served some fruits and breads, and the location is nearby one of the good landmark in Singapore which is Masjid Sultan, and it's only 5 minutes walk to Bugis Street where you can buy souvenirs and find the MRT station. But the room were too crowded and my bed was just next to passage way and they have limited bathroom, I have to queued and wait a lil bit long.
Next visit, I will consider this hostel as an alternative.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2014

This place was a mess. The place was a horror! they did not seem like they new what they were doing. I walked into the back where we slept. I was shocked! it looked like a trash site. It was noisy and stunk like sweet and reecked like urine. Honestly i did not enjoy the acomidation. I was hot and eritated with the noise. I woke with a rash. The only actual good thing about it was the location. It was not run by kiwi's but a Arib who ripped of my dad knowing we would have to catch a flight.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank James P
Reviewed April 17, 2014

The only good thing about this hostel is just the locations which is near MRT station, near mosque (for Muslim), near cafes and boutiques and other cool shopping place and the breakfast, they baked me toast with jams that I can choose from chocolate to kaya toast, option between tea and coffee, and fruits, lots of fruits. And that's it, no more good things. I stayed in 14 bed room which is very very very small with lots of wooden divider so it feels very hectic (I was hoping for a big open room, not so big but at least doesn't feel like I'm running out of breath inside), the locker.. what locker? Just a small cabinet with broken key. The staff? Oh well when I said lost my sandals (yes I lost my sandals) he only said: oh I don't know. Wow.. very polite. I don't know where's my sandals too, that's why I asked him. The toilet? Oh dear God, they only have 4 bathrooms for men and women. Wow, even at mall the toilet is separated for men and women. Will definitely not go back.

Room Tip: Perhaps a private room will be great. But then again a sharing 4 bathrooms for the whole hostel? Thi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Nananunu
Reviewed April 3, 2014

What a pity they have so bad reviews : they don't deserve it ! First I had booked just one night in this backpacker, and one night in another. But after the first night I've changed my mind and stood in this one.

The staff was really nice. When I asked them how is it possible to have bad reviews like that, they explain that they change the staff. All of them was smiling and helpful !!

I slept in the female dortory and just paid SG 20$ for a night with the breakfast (fresh fruits and toast, yumi!),they are located in an amazing pedestrian street with the Sultan Mosquee, and the place is well located when you want to take the metro.

So, just good memories, new friends & I know the place to stay if I come back to Singapore !

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo