“Friendly Staff, Excellent Location, Great Interior Design”

AMOY by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #3 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed April 5, 2014

The day prior to leaving for Singapore Ronald phoned me in Australia to say there would be a complimentary limo waiting at Changi Airport to bring us to the hotel. The driver notified the desk staff when we were 5 mins from the hotel and the staff were waiting for us with welcoming drinks.

One of Singapore’s oldest Chinese temples forms the entrance to the Amoy and the hotel conversion has been very sympathetic with our beautifully designed, split level room creating the impression of living in a Singapore shophouse although much more luxurious, especially the wonderful ‘rain’ shower. Many hotel ‘extras‘ are complimentary at the Amoy including a City sights ‘hop on hop off’ bus tour and all the staff are courteous and genuinely friendly. The Chinatown location is full of heritage buildings and the hotel has fantastic access to a myriad of restaurants. I will certainly be returning to the Amoy each time I visit Singapore. Thank you for a most enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gwsg
Tran Chau T, Manager at AMOY by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Dear gwsg,

Thank you for taking your precious time to share with us your stay experience.

AMOY is all about creating unique experience and personalized service. I am very delighted to know that your stay was wonderful and you will be back. Ronald and our team are happy to hear that you appreciated their service and acknowledged them for the job well done.

Being converted from the heritage building, we have also painstakingly taken the effort to retain the heritage aspects of AMOY while combining the heritage with the modern look of our rooms. All the efforts are worthwhile as we have received many great compliments from our guests.

Our fabulous location is one of the popular spot because there are so many restaurants, bars and attractions in just a short walking distance. I am glad that you enjoyed exploring around and loved all the “extras” that we specially selected for your convenience.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back in a not so distant future!

Trinh Tran Chau

Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed April 2, 2014

The most important thing I can say is the service was more than outstanding. All staff but especially Jeremy and Grace went out of their way to attend to our every need. Well located in front of a metro, and right out the back door are shops, food etc. Rooms are clean, functional and recently upgraded. A great stay. I would do it again.

1  Thank Chas762014
Tran Chau T, Manager at AMOY by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear Chas762014,

Thank you for taking your precious time to share with us your stay experience.

I am delighted to know our team made your stay experience excellent, in particularly Jeremy and Grace. Your acknowledgement means a lot to them and will inspire them to do better in their service. This is what AMOY is all about; we aim to make our guests leave with lasting experience. Rest assured we will keep up our high standard and continue improving our product and service to serve you better.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Our first visit to Singapore and what a delightful surprise the city offered us (among many other treats) with a stay at the Amoy! Sincere and friendly staff, clean contemporary room, interesting breakfast, good location, etc. etc . The staff was so helpful with directions to interesting places within walking distance. Ronald took care of a Kindle I left behind, keeping it safe until we returned 2 weeks later. The MRT was wonderful and just across the street. We returned to our room one day to find our room had not been made up. Perhaps because of a faulty signal light. However, someone was promptly sent to do the job! We will highly recommend the Amoy!
Two from Maui, Hawaii

1  Thank may m
Tran Chau T, Manager at AMOY by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Dear Ms Moore,

Thank you for taking your precious time to write us this review.

It is my pleasure to hear your experience was wonderful with AMOY. This is what we always aim to achieve, to make every guest leaves with a smile and a lasting experience. Our friendly service team is more than happy to assist you anything you need and make you feel like home. Ronald is indeed excited to see his name mentioned by you and you appreciated his service. This is such a great motivation for him to do even better.

I am glad that you also love our fabulous location. The Telok Ayer MRT right across the street makes it even more convenient for our guests to travel around the city and access to many places of attraction.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Location is excellent - central to walk and explore Singapore. Small but well designed rooms.

Only had one hick-up - was woke up by housecleaning at 8am Sunday morning when I had the do-not-disturb lamp activated. We were out Saturday night and really looked forward to sleeping in on Sunday. When he woke us up I asked him "what does the lamp say (do not disturb)", "what was he doing (waking us up)" and then shut the door on him. I thought about why someone would wake us up when DND was clearly visible to him; I thought it may be an emergency, checked the email to see if maybe something horrible had happened to my parents. No crisis, but I couldn't sleep anymore - Sunday morning plans for sleeping in and relaxing were wrecked. I went to the front desk to ask why this had happened.

Any way, long story short - someone else had checked out early and they had mistakenly checked me out instead. They were honest about how it happened, the front desk staff accepted responsibility and indicated she had added to their notes so that mgt could follow up and was sincerely apologetic. When I say sincerely apologetic I mean it - it wasn't that crocodile smile, she seemed genuinely sorry that the mistake had happened and that my morning was not what it should have been. She did her best to make it right with us. Occasional mistakes will happen, it is how one deals with them that shows true character. Amoy staff are well-trained, professional, sincere and do all they can do in a genuine fashion to ensure you have a good experience. 5-stars, would stay there again.

1  Thank CDN_Expat_Asia

Dear CDN_Expat_Asia,

Thank you for taking your precious time to share with us your stay experience.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay. This is a genuine mistake from our end and you have been very kind to grant us a second chance to recover your trust in our service. While I am sorry that this had happened, I am delighted to hear that our team made great efforts in recovering the situation and made you feel better with their genuine care and concern. It is wonderful to know you acknowledged our efforts and most importantly, you will stay with us again. Your kind words motivate us to do better in our service while making further improvement on our product.

Rest assured this is an isolated case and I have addressed the issue with all the concerned to ensure no reoccurrences in the future.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We spent 3 nights at the Amoy, this Hotel is one of the best Hotels we have stayed at, the Location the standard of the room and even better the level of service could not have been better, April and the rest of the team were so attentive and helpful they couldn't do enough for you.
Having the MRT station just across the road made it so easy to travel around this amazing city, but the location is easy walking distance to most of the main attractions.
We would not hesitate to recommend the Amoy it was a great place and we will be back.

Room Tip: #205 was a great room.
2  Thank tadano1
Tran Chau T, Manager at AMOY by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear tadano1,

Thank you for taking your precious time to share with us your stay experience.

I am delighted to know your stay was wonderful and you will be back. April and our team are very happy to know you appreciate their service. This is what AMOY is all about, personalized service and creating memorable experience. Our friendly team members are more than happy to assist you the best they can to ensure you feel happy and comfortable. I am happy to know you love our fabulous location too. The newly opened Telok Ayer MRT definitely makes it more convenient for you to travel around.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I was very pleased to have all positive reviews, which I had read prior to booking this hotel, confirmed during my stay. The staff is indeed very helpful, the hotel and rooms are a nice mix of traditional and modern features, the hotel is centrally located, easily accessible by public transport and cannot be missed by any taxi driver anymore since a sign with the hotel logo has recently been placed next to the entrance (same as the Fuk Tak Chi Museum). I did enjoy my comfy room, the use of a free hospitality room before I left for my midnight flight, the free limo service to Changi and the advantages of a boutique hotel in general. Breakfast is basic, but OK. Personally, no need for a hotel restaurant: there are a lot of good restaurants in the area. I'm looking forward to my next stay.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Citytrip_and_more

Dear Citytrip_and_more

Thank you for taking your precious time to share with us your stay experience.

Being converted from the heritage building, AMOY design is inspired by early Chinese Immigrants. We have taken a lot of efforts to retain these beautiful heritage aspects of the building while combining it with a modern look of our rooms. It is wonderful to hear that you had great time with us and you enjoyed all the hotel features as well as the slews of benefits that come with the room package.

I am glad you found our team was helpful. They are all service champions who enjoy serving and delighting our guests. Rest assured we will keep up our good works while improving further to serve you better.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

My husband & I travel quite a bit and we constantly rely on Tripadvisor in selecting our hotels. Our choice is always based on the following main features which we prioritize equally- location &/or accessibility to easy transport, great reviews on service, 'value for money' room rates & aesthetics as regards to the hotel room/ bathroom ( the hubby being an architect ). Well, Amoy hotel has met all our expectations & more!
1- Location- It is literally across the Telok Ayer MRT station. Singapore's subway system is one of the easiest & most efficient in the world. We attended the Maison trade fair in the Sands & it was 2 stops away! VERY convenient location.
2- Value for Money- Singapore is now officially the world's most expensive city & its hotel rates definitely reflect that. I looked at MANY options before deciding on Amoy. What won me over was the reasonable ( for Singapore ) rate with all the extra features- free, strong wifi, free minibar replenished daily ( canned soda, beer, juice, tea, chips, nuts ), Nespresso machine,
free breakfast, limousine service from airport (one way only) & NEW modern rooms ( albeit smaller sized as lay out is constrained by the fact that they are built into historic mini shop house structures ) with great rain showers & a comfy bed & sheets that rival ours at home ( we DO put a premium on our mattress & linens ). So, what's not to love?
3- Aesthetics- just check out Travelers' photos. Hotel is still new, having only opened up late last year & we love the idea of passing through an old temple to get to the hotel lobby. It is just like the "Secret Garden"... Chinese style...
4- Service, Service, Service! I cannot stress enough how important it is to make your guests feel that NO request is impossible to fulfill & to always deliver it in the most sincere & gracious manner.. To all our good FRIENDS at Amoy.. from the manager Ms Chau ( whose act of generosity has left us awed ), to Jeremy ( who has regaled us with temple history, his favorite Tonkatsu resto & barista coffee shop, & even shared a little bit of his life story.., to Grace ( with her info on the best Church to hear mass in ), to Ronald ( who patiently did our
internet check in & showed us the 3 sacred live temple bats ), to April, Lani & all the rest of the staff I may have not caught the names of, but who always greeted us with a huge welcoming smile EVERY time we walked back into our hotel lobby or came down for breakfast..a giant big THANK YOU from us! On service alone, you truly deserve your high ranks on TA!

So, go ahead & book in a big chain hotel if you put much weight in amenities such as a pool, gym, spa & want to stuff yourself daily on a big buffet spread.. But if you are looking to be a big fish in a little pond where the staff know you by name & are sincerely ever ready to help
you in whatever manner possible, then choose the Amoy..

Last Info re Breakfast for those who value this meal:
Amoy has no kitchen hence they serve a simple yet adequate breakfast of various breads
( we always choose the yummy croissants & multi-grain ), cheeses, turkey ham, fruits, muesli & cereal, yogurt, local noodles, juices & most importantly, great coffee & tea! Frankly, we didn't mind eating the same stuff five days in a row as it is what we normally eat at home anyways..

So would we come back? In a heart beat.. For us, it's the same as asking...Will we be
coming home..

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, choose a room not facing the alley of shop houses.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
7  Thank marga_philippines
Tran Chau T, Manager at AMOY by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Dear Mrs Vazquez,

Thank you for taking your precious time to share with us your wonderful experience.

I am completely blown away by your detailed review. It is my pleasure to know that you love our concept and design and you enjoyed the slew of benefits we specially selected for our guests. Our fabulous location makes it more convenient to explore around and it is indeed a value added for our guests.

We are very blessed to be able to get approval from our authority to use Fuk Tak Chi Museum, formerly a temple as our main entrance. As charming as it is, there are many interesting facts and stories about this former temple that our team members are more than happy to share with you. We have also painstakingly taken the effort to retain the heritage aspects of the hotel while combining the heritage with the modern look of our rooms. All the efforts are worthwhile because it brings a very unique experience to all our guests.

My team and I are thrilled that you remember all of our names and appreciate everything we did. Knowing you feel like home is the best compliment for us. This is what AMOY is all about, creating unique and homey experience with our ultra personalized service. Your commendations mean a lot to us and reading them all inspires us to improve even better on our product and services.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I was not able to bid you farewell on your last stay but will surely catch up with you on your next. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back in a not so distant future!