“great, sincere staff”

Ranked #1 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Jakarta
“great, sincere staff”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Location is excellent - central to walk and explore Singapore. Small but well designed rooms.

Only had one hick-up - was woke up by housecleaning at 8am Sunday morning when I had the do-not-disturb lamp activated. We were out Saturday night and really looked forward to sleeping in on Sunday. When he woke us up I asked him "what does the lamp say (do not disturb)", "what was he doing (waking us up)" and then shut the door on him. I thought about why someone would wake us up when DND was clearly visible to him; I thought it may be an emergency, checked the email to see if maybe something horrible had happened to my parents. No crisis, but I couldn't sleep anymore - Sunday morning plans for sleeping in and relaxing were wrecked. I went to the front desk to ask why this had happened.

Any way, long story short - someone else had checked out early and they had mistakenly checked me out instead. They were honest about how it happened, the front desk staff accepted responsibility and indicated she had added to their notes so that mgt could follow up and was sincerely apologetic. When I say sincerely apologetic I mean it - it wasn't that crocodile smile, she seemed genuinely sorry that the mistake had happened and that my morning was not what it should have been. She did her best to make it right with us. Occasional mistakes will happen, it is how one deals with them that shows true character. Amoy staff are well-trained, professional, sincere and do all they can do in a genuine fashion to ensure you have a good experience. 5-stars, would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CDN_Expat_Asia
Tran Chau T, Manager at AMOY by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear CDN_Expat_Asia,

Thank you for taking your precious time to share with us your stay experience.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay. This is a genuine mistake from our end and you have been very kind to grant us a second chance to recover your trust in our service. While I am sorry that this had happened, I am delighted to hear that our team made great efforts in recovering the situation and made you feel better with their genuine care and concern. It is wonderful to know you acknowledged our efforts and most importantly, you will stay with us again. Your kind words motivate us to do better in our service while making further improvement on our product.

Rest assured this is an isolated case and I have addressed the issue with all the concerned to ensure no reoccurrences in the future.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back in a not so distant future!

Trinh Tran Chau

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We spent 3 nights at the Amoy, this Hotel is one of the best Hotels we have stayed at, the Location the standard of the room and even better the level of service could not have been better, April and the rest of the team were so attentive and helpful they couldn't do enough for you.
Having the MRT station just across the road made it so easy to travel around this amazing city, but the location is easy walking distance to most of the main attractions.
We would not hesitate to recommend the Amoy it was a great place and we will be back.

Room Tip: #205 was a great room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tadano1
Tran Chau T, Manager at AMOY by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear tadano1,

Thank you for taking your precious time to share with us your stay experience.

I am delighted to know your stay was wonderful and you will be back. April and our team are very happy to know you appreciate their service. This is what AMOY is all about, personalized service and creating memorable experience. Our friendly team members are more than happy to assist you the best they can to ensure you feel happy and comfortable. I am happy to know you love our fabulous location too. The newly opened Telok Ayer MRT definitely makes it more convenient for you to travel around.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

I was very pleased to have all positive reviews, which I had read prior to booking this hotel, confirmed during my stay. The staff is indeed very helpful, the hotel and rooms are a nice mix of traditional and modern features, the hotel is centrally located, easily accessible by public transport and cannot be missed by any taxi driver anymore since a sign with the hotel logo has recently been placed next to the entrance (same as the Fuk Tak Chi Museum). I did enjoy my comfy room, the use of a free hospitality room before I left for my midnight flight, the free limo service to Changi and the advantages of a boutique hotel in general. Breakfast is basic, but OK. Personally, no need for a hotel restaurant: there are a lot of good restaurants in the area. I'm looking forward to my next stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Citytrip_and_more
Dear Citytrip_and_more

Thank you for taking your precious time to share with us your stay experience.

Being converted from the heritage building, AMOY design is inspired by early Chinese Immigrants. We have taken a lot of efforts to retain these beautiful heritage aspects of the building while combining it with a modern look of our rooms. It is wonderful to hear that you had great time with us and you enjoyed all the hotel features as well as the slews of benefits that come with the room package.

I am glad you found our team was helpful. They are all service champions who enjoy serving and delighting our guests. Rest assured we will keep up our good works while improving further to serve you better.

Quezon city
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My husband & I travel quite a bit and we constantly rely on Tripadvisor in selecting our hotels. Our choice is always based on the following main features which we prioritize equally- location &/or accessibility to easy transport, great reviews on service, 'value for money' room rates & aesthetics as regards to the hotel room/ bathroom ( the hubby being an architect ). Well, Amoy hotel has met all our expectations & more!
1- Location- It is literally across the Telok Ayer MRT station. Singapore's subway system is one of the easiest & most efficient in the world. We attended the Maison trade fair in the Sands & it was 2 stops away! VERY convenient location.
2- Value for Money- Singapore is now officially the world's most expensive city & its hotel rates definitely reflect that. I looked at MANY options before deciding on Amoy. What won me over was the reasonable ( for Singapore ) rate with all the extra features- free, strong wifi, free minibar replenished daily ( canned soda, beer, juice, tea, chips, nuts ), Nespresso machine,
free breakfast, limousine service from airport (one way only) & NEW modern rooms ( albeit smaller sized as lay out is constrained by the fact that they are built into historic mini shop house structures ) with great rain showers & a comfy bed & sheets that rival ours at home ( we DO put a premium on our mattress & linens ). So, what's not to love?
3- Aesthetics- just check out Travelers' photos. Hotel is still new, having only opened up late last year & we love the idea of passing through an old temple to get to the hotel lobby. It is just like the "Secret Garden"... Chinese style...
4- Service, Service, Service! I cannot stress enough how important it is to make your guests feel that NO request is impossible to fulfill & to always deliver it in the most sincere & gracious manner.. To all our good FRIENDS at Amoy.. from the manager Ms Chau ( whose act of generosity has left us awed ), to Jeremy ( who has regaled us with temple history, his favorite Tonkatsu resto & barista coffee shop, & even shared a little bit of his life story.., to Grace ( with her info on the best Church to hear mass in ), to Ronald ( who patiently did our
internet check in & showed us the 3 sacred live temple bats ), to April, Lani & all the rest of the staff I may have not caught the names of, but who always greeted us with a huge welcoming smile EVERY time we walked back into our hotel lobby or came down for breakfast..a giant big THANK YOU from us! On service alone, you truly deserve your high ranks on TA!

So, go ahead & book in a big chain hotel if you put much weight in amenities such as a pool, gym, spa & want to stuff yourself daily on a big buffet spread.. But if you are looking to be a big fish in a little pond where the staff know you by name & are sincerely ever ready to help
you in whatever manner possible, then choose the Amoy..

Last Info re Breakfast for those who value this meal:
Amoy has no kitchen hence they serve a simple yet adequate breakfast of various breads
( we always choose the yummy croissants & multi-grain ), cheeses, turkey ham, fruits, muesli & cereal, yogurt, local noodles, juices & most importantly, great coffee & tea! Frankly, we didn't mind eating the same stuff five days in a row as it is what we normally eat at home anyways..

So would we come back? In a heart beat.. For us, it's the same as asking...Will we be
coming home..

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, choose a room not facing the alley of shop houses.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank marga_philippines
Tran Chau T, Manager at AMOY by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Mrs Vazquez,

Thank you for taking your precious time to share with us your wonderful experience.

I am completely blown away by your detailed review. It is my pleasure to know that you love our concept and design and you enjoyed the slew of benefits we specially selected for our guests. Our fabulous location makes it more convenient to explore around and it is indeed a value added for our guests.

We are very blessed to be able to get approval from our authority to use Fuk Tak Chi Museum, formerly a temple as our main entrance. As charming as it is, there are many interesting facts and stories about this former temple that our team members are more than happy to share with you. We have also painstakingly taken the effort to retain the heritage aspects of the hotel while combining the heritage with the modern look of our rooms. All the efforts are worthwhile because it brings a very unique experience to all our guests.

My team and I are thrilled that you remember all of our names and appreciate everything we did. Knowing you feel like home is the best compliment for us. This is what AMOY is all about, creating unique and homey experience with our ultra personalized service. Your commendations mean a lot to us and reading them all inspires us to improve even better on our product and services.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I was not able to bid you farewell on your last stay but will surely catch up with you on your next. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back in a not so distant future!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Pros:
- new boutique hotel (opened Nov 2013) inside an old temple
- extremely friendly staff
- speedy check-in, welcome drink
- free and stable in-room wifi
- right opposite new Telok Ayer MRT station; 5-min on foot to Raffles Place MRT station and nearby attractions (Fullerton Hotel, Asian Civilization Museum, Clarke Quay...)
- very comfy bed, complimentary mini bar, Nespresso coffee, and bottled water
- free continental breakfast in nice front yard
- connected to Far East Square, loads of cheap eats/ affordable meal choices

Cons:
- small rooms, those with large or more than one luggage beware
- not all bookings/packages are offered the complimentary one-way airport transfer to hotel as stated on hotel website; check in advance

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank ToniYuen
Tran Chau T, Manager at AMOY by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear ToniYuen,

Thank you for taking your precious time to share with us your stay experience.

As your comfort and well being are our priorities, I am very delighted to hear that you enjoyed our in – room facilities, our friendly service and our fabulous location. It is our pleasure to make you experience memorable. Your acknowledgement is a great motivation for us to keep on improving on our products and services.

Regarding your room package, you had booked under a very special promotion that we have worked with your Travel Agent. This is the only package that does not come with airport pick up and it only limits to a very small number of bookings. All our room packages sold directly through phone, on our brand website and other websites always come with one way pick up. For your future booking, please do allow us to assist you with the bookings.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for two nights. The hotel is close to Chinatown and an easy walk to Clarke Quay. Suited our requirements perfectly. The staff could not have been more accommodating and helpful. The room was spotless and has everything you need including troublefree wifi.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank strathbabe02
Dear strathbabe02,

Thank you for taking your time to share with us your stay experience.

I am delighted to hear your stay was enjoyable and our team made your experience memorable. Your acknowledgement on their service will encourage them to improve better. Our fabulous location is well liked by many and I am glad you love it too; there are many places to explore within such a short walking distance. Rest assure we will keep on improving our product and services while maintaining our high service standard.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We had 3 nights at the Amoy in a Deluxe Double room and certainly would recommend it highly. There are a few minor negative points to note: the rooms are a little small and the breakfast a little basic... But this is more than compensated by the very helpful staff (Jeremy deserves special mention in his efforts to ensure we had a great stay).
Note also that it is a "boutique" hotel, so not as widely known as the bigger hotels... the taxi driver had to ring for instructions, but it's location on the edge of China Town make it a perfect location. The MTR (underground) is across the road. All in all, a great stopover.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tran Chau T, Manager at AMOY by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Roger W,

Thank you for taking your time to write us this lovely review.

It is wonderful to know our friendly service team has made your stay experience worthwhile. Jeremy is thrilled to know you remembered his name and appreciated his service. Your commendation is the best motivation for him and our team to do better in delighting our guests.

Our fabulous location is well – liked by our guests as there are many places of interest, restaurant and bar etc… to explore within just a short walking distance. The newly opened Telok Ayer MRT makes it even more convenient to travel to places. I am glad that this has added another positive impact on your stay experience. Rest assured we will continue making further improvement on our product and services.