“Great Value for Short Trip” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Asphodel Inn Singapore

Asphodel Inn Singapore
Ranked #265 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
“Great Value for Short Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

Great value for a short stay holiday in expensive singapore..location to ferrer park MRT is fantastic, and some great local restaurants within walking distance..only 2 things..bring your own towels, as the towels provided are horrible, and front desk service could be better.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Kamloops
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

Singapore is an extremely expensive city. If I had paid $55 a night in somewhere like Thailand and got this quality of hotel I would have been disgusted. However, Singapore like I said is much more expensive. $55 is considered "budget hotel" and therefore you get what you pay for. Bed is pretty much a mattress on the floor, everything in the bathroom gets wet when you use it. There was some mold in the bathroom which was pretty gross.
However, the location is not bad, 2 minute walk to subway where you can hop on and get all around town for a good price.
If you are just looking for a place to sleep at night for a decent price it's not bad, but don't expect much!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoveOfTravel86
Hyderabad, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

Stayed for a week in Feb.

The room was basic, furniture creaky, and bathroom stinky.

One is prepared for stinky bathrooms in budget hotels in Singapore (although I've definitely seen better ones), but what was terrible, was that the only plug point in the room had a loose contact, resulting in audible arcing. Of the 3 lamps in the room, one was not functional. Neither problem was resolved during my stay, despite complaints. The lift was not working one day, resulting in a climb up 4 levels of stairs.

Construction activity in the neighbourhood was forewarned, but the firealarm going off at 0300 hrs, was unexpected. Worse, the same went off twice again on other nights. False alarm, but couple that with the plugpoint

The front desk staff were courteous.

But beyond that, i guess, i should have spent the 20 Dollars extra to go to other hotels in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sandeeppillay

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

The hotel staff asks for advance for every day of ur stay wifi only available in the lobby and u can't stand there for more than 20 mins coz it's very smelly the smell of ciggrettes there is no bell boy who can carry ur luggage to the room I stayed in 3 rooms in 4 days coz the Aircon doesn't work good in all rooms the best part in this hotel is the bathroom doors doesn't lock in any of the rooms and the cupboards are broken if u keep ur bags in it it will fall apart would recommend this hotel only because of the locality and the price they offer staff is rude apart from the young Chinese guy with a cap

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Djmeet
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed there for one night only since I was meeting my husband in Singapore for a holiday (we were coming from different countries) and my flight arrived way earlier (4pm) than his (2am the next day); I didn't want to wait at the airport due to sheer exhaustion.

I wanted a really cheap accommodation since we were actually booked in a decent (though a bit more pricey) hotel for the rest of our stay in Singapore and this was just a meeting place for me and my husband anyway. However I didn't want to stay in Geylang (where all the cheap hotels are) mainly because I would be solo for a few hours and was not comfortable checking into a seedy albeit affordable hotel or inn alone (though I know SG is a safe country). Thus I had to find alternatives, and after much research I decided on Asphodel Inn.

Admittedly the reviews made me a bit wary but I thought I'd suck it up for one night. After all the rates are the same as Geylang's. Getting to the hotel was a breeze; I just gave the zip code to the cab driver. I was actually surprised with the chic exterior though small lobby of the hotel. I noticed right away that it was situated in a residential area with temples beside it, and a hawker nearby which was good. I specifically requested for a double room on one of the top floors AWAY from the elevators or groups since I read in the reviews that the walls were too thin and you wouldn't be able to sleep with all the noise especially if your room is near the lifts; and my request was granted thank God.

Rooms were ok, actually better than I expected. It was clean and well-kept. The bed was big enough. There was a TV with cable channels. Restroom was small but again, expected (though clean in my opinion). There was a closet for your stuffs with hangers and all. The room also came with coffee sachets, a kettle for hot water (very important for me!), 2 bottled water, and toiletries as well. Fresh towels were provided. The only pet peeve I had about the room itself was there was no blanket (I don't know if that was really the case but if it is it's UNACCEPTABLE) and I had to call the reception THREE times to ask for one coz I was freezing. That's the other thing, receptionist could use a bit more customer service (though he was not rude just acted like I was a bother to him when I was asking for my blanket, duh!). They brought me the blanket 30mins after my last call grrr... And it wasn't a very good blanket as well; not thick enough.

Anyway I decided to walk around a bit after check-in since I need to buy an SG sim card for making calls. The nearest mall is City square mall, it's about 10minutes walk from the hotel. That walk was fun since I got to see a bit more of the area and found the nearest MRT (Farrer Park) just opposite the mall. So I can honestly say transportation is ok if you're looking for a decent but accessible inn NOT in Geylang. Though I would imagine getting to the hotel with your luggage from the airport might not be so easy due to the walk; just a warning.

My husband got to the hotel fine at around 2am and we checked out that morning fast and easy. By then the (younger) receptionist was more hospitable and a lot nicer.

All in all I would definitely recommend this inn for those looking for cheap alternatives to Geylang hotels. I am actually considering it for my next SG trip soon.

Room Tip: try to avoid the rooms near the lobby at the ground floor coz of the people coming and going; i can...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank twisted_bratinella
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 days. It was actually better than what I expected. The location and hotel condition is way better compared to where my friends have stayed before - Geylang Area (which they did not have good feedback). MRT station (Farrer Park) is just a few minutes walk. Room is a bit small and cramped, but can't complain since it was clean. Their staffs were accommodating especially since our flight got delayed and we had to check in around close to midnight (need to call the hotel in advance).

There is really nothing fancy about this hotel, if you just need a place to sleep and bath on your Singapore trip and still get value for your money, this is the hotel for you.

Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kristine1982
Herts, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

The external and communal areas of this hotel look great - but the rooms unfortunately are not. They smell of damp, are on the small side and are in nee of an update. The location is okay - you'd pay more if you were more central and as long as you are willing to use the MTR (underground) to get around it's fine - about a 5 minute walk from Farrer Park station (exit B). There's not a lot to do in Little India though, although there's a shopping centre about 5 minutes walk away that has food outlets. Free wifi in the lobby worked well.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends