“New hotel in Singapore with an unusual touch of luxury”
Review of Dorsett Singapore

Dorsett Singapore
Ranked #89 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Dorsett is a new hotel that opened in 2013. I stayed there in June for 2 nights and booked from one of the main online hotel sites so by the time I arrived at the hotel everything was prepaid. Hotels in Singapore are expensive and with the service tax and GST adding another 17% on the base cost the prices are steep.

I arrived at the hotel in the morning around 11 am and they did not have my room ready because check-in starts from 14:00 pm onwards. I found this to be slightly irritating but for whatever reason the assistant at the lobby could not help more other than being polite.

The lobby area is modern and luxurious yet light and fresh. The check-in desk is very small. The hotel does not have a large lobby with multiple facilities yet it has a special interior design. If you are interested to experience a mid size luxury hotel that is organized in a different way than the traditional hotels then you may want to consider the Dorsett. It is a discreet and quiet place for those who want to avoid the big commercial hotels.

I stayed at a deluxe room on the 9th floor. The room was fine, high ceilings, fine decor with neutral color tones, and the room size is big enough. The bed and the pillows quality are really good. The air-condition also worked very well. It seems to be typical that in Singapore the water flow is not very fast (could be to save on water costs) and the hot water temperature was not very hot. Some may say that there is no need to use very hot water in Singapore when you take a bath or shower but I disagree. There are times when someone may want to enjoy a hot shower.

I did not want to get the breakfast included in the rate because it was too expensive at about 38 SGD plus tax and just around the hotel there are so many nice cafes to have breakfast. The breakfast is served at a restaurant on the ground floor that serves both those who stay at the hotel as clients from outside, for this reason I thought I can spend my money for breakfast anywhere in the area where there are multiple nice cafes within 5 min walk distance. The hotel is practically next to the famous restaurant Andre.

Also this hotel is next to the Dorsett Residences (furnished corporate apartments) so the entire property and the way it is managed is a bit different than the standards hotels. Everything feels more discreet and private in this hotel.

The nicest is the pool area on the 3rd floor. The pool environment is very relaxing considering you are still in the middle of the city. The pool area is next to the road though and there can be some traffic noise. From the pool area there is a nice view of a park and a bit of a horizon looking towards the interior of the island. Note that the pool closes at 10 pm though and I found this disappointing. I wanted to relax until late night as I had a stressed day and while I was in the pool a guard alerted me that the pool will close at 10 pm. It felt slightly limiting my freedom, especially when I pay prices that in other places I would get a lot more services included.

There are a few rooms on the 3rd floor that are facing a small relaxing area called 'The Pavilion' and there is a small pond with water to relax. The rooms have open balconies to the water pond and they look very nice. However The Pavilion was not open during my stay.

The shower and lavatory area have a compact and contemporary and ergonomic design, it is not luxurious in the classic terms yet all worked fine.

There are some details in the room's interior design that have not been taken care though, you need to be very observant to spot these details. Yet I think for the prices paid, management should pay more attention on these details.

Overall the hotel does not have many services. Basically you get a very nice room and a very nice discreet pool. If you are one of those travelers that you appreciate privacy with a touch of luxury and you do not need to use multiple facilities this hotel is very good. It is also located just 2 min walk from the MRT station.

There are still details with this hotel, physical details with the room set-up as well as service details, that need to be refined. Management needs to pay more attention.

3  Thank JM_PEK
dorsettsingapore, General Manager at Dorsett Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear Mr/Ms JM Pek

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback and genuine interest for Dorsett Singapore.

Please rest assured that we value guests' feedback very seriously and your comments are most helpful and valuable to the company where I have personally discussed with my Senior Management Team. Providing genuine care and finest personal services is our highest mission and we will certainly make a continued effort to strive to achieve our goal. Nevertheless, your observations and feedback are most timely and appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your time taking to write with the constructive feedback which we certainly appreciate. We look forward to welcoming back to Dorsett Singapore soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,009)

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Located just next to MRT Outram Park NE3 line H exit, I found this hotel is very convenient. Many bus stops around, including those which heading to Orchard Rd. and Marina Bay. I was lucky to be upgraded to the Loft Room, and I totally love the private space on the loft -- which is the bed -- while I can watch the TV or the people walking from afar. Too bad that there is not much movie/drama channels on the TV.
And I was a bit bothered that they don't provide water spray on the toilet. I know it's not in their culture, but it would be great if any kind of guest does not have to be bothered by this custom. Also, I had difficulty turning on/off the hot water in shower room. It's either still hot, or getting hotter. The door knob (in the shower room) as well, was like a really short thick metal and it was hard to pull the heavy glass door from the inside with a wet hand. Fortunately I had my nail, so I can stuck it to the little space between the door and the knob to pull it.
Apart from that, I did enjoy my stay in this hotel. The calming scent at the entrance always give a 'welcome home' feeling. But if you're a midnight snack eaters, be sure to buy it in advance. The nearest convenient store is small and does not have many choices.

2  Thank deadesu
dorsettsingapore, Public Relations Manager at Dorsett Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear deadesu,

Greetings from Dorsett Singapore!

Thank you for your kind review on your recent stay with us. We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed the comfort as well as the convenience of our prime location.

Also, please allow us to foremost extend our sincere apologies for the disappointment you felt over the amenities. We truly appreciate your patience with us and we have brought this to the attention of the department concerned for necessary actions.

Once again, thank you for choosing us as your preferred accommodation in Singapore and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dorsett Singapore in the near future.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Stayed at this hotel during a short stopover trip in Singapore and got a great rate for the weekend. The hotel still has that "new" feeling and - the rooms was comfortably furnished with neutral decor and a very comfortable bed with good quality pillows and linens. As others have mentioned the rooms are on the small side and the bathroom design may not suit everyone (the wardrobe door basically slides to cover the open wall between the bathroom sink and the bedroom but still leaves a sizeable gap so does not offer privacy or sound/smell proofing when using the toilet). But neither of these things bothered me as I was traveling solo and didn't have much luggage with me. The staff i came across were consistently polite and helpful. The roof top pool on level 3 was a nice size/design and I enjoyed a quiet early morning dip as there were no other guests in the pool area at the time. The hotel location is very convenient if you are using the SMRT to get around Singapore as it is right next to Outram Park station (same line as Changi Airport) and is also within easy walking distance to Chinatown and local food options (including the Smith Street and Maxwell Hawker centres). I did not eat at the hotel so can't comment on that. All in all I thought this hotel was a very good choice considering the other options available in the same price range in Singapore.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank PJ_SYD
dorsettsingapore, Public Relations Manager at Dorsett Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear PJ_SYD,

Greetings from Dorsett Singapore!

Thank you for your kind review and rating of “excellent” on your recent stay with us. We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed the hospitality and comfort as well as the convenience of our prime location.

Once again, thank you for choosing us as your preferred accommodation in Singapore and we look forward to welcoming you back as always.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

PLEASE Trip Advisor can we have a chance to do X+ or Y- or .5

This is (financially) part of an Apartment Block, the units/flats are on the other side of the drive in. Looks impressive as you arrive, reasonably spacious, chandeliers, grand piano playing by itself in the corner.
The rooms are designed to make max space of min space - they are not rooms more bed containers. Very smart, bright and modern but 1 hanging rack, no storage drawers at all. Sliding doors - option look at your clothes or look at the bathroom sink. Intrigued that some people think it is a tourist hotel - do NOT come with more than one small suitcase, or a business hotel - all my papers for a week are all over the bed..
The plusses
Has a small pool and gym.
Location - within 3 mins of MRT Outram Park, 10 Mins Max of MRT Chinatown and Chinatown itself. Certainly more "Oriental atmosphere" that more central Singapore. Within 5 mins of the Hotel a range of "Smart" / "Trendy" more European influenced Bars and Restaurants - see the review for The Reading Room.... all get 10% Discount with a Hotel Room Card and China Town a short walk. Area at the back of the Hotel very smart some great old buildings
Have enjoyed my Sunday OUT, but a week in the small room ????
The Coffee shop.... serves some very well priced and good quality fresh asian food (at the back of the menu) not sure about the more pricey food at the front - would probably go somewhere else

Room Tip: Find out if the rooms are of different sizes (and price) if you want space
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank summerlea45

Dear summerlea45,

Greetings from Dorsett Singapore!

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your stay with us and the positive ratings. We are delighted to note that you had enjoyed the facilities and convenience of our location.

Our Dorsett Delights Programme allows hotel guests to enjoy discounts at participating outlets in the vicinity. We are glad you were able to enjoy this value-added service during your stay with us.

Your review is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dorsett Singapore again.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

I stayed at the Dorsett for 3 nights in the first week of June. The Hotel is around 40 mins drive from Changi Airport

Check in was smooth and i was shown to my room in less than 15 minutes. They gave me my room preference for the 10th floor. Gives you a pretty good view of the city, if you are into that sort of thing. The rooms are small but i guess most hotel rooms in Singapore are on the smaller size when compared to other Asian countries.If two people were rooming together then this would be definitely be cramped.The rooms are well appointed and clean. The bathroom is stocked with toiletries and linens feel like new. The bed and pillows are an absolute joy to sleep in. The Hotel is well located and is walking distance from China Town. Just 2 mins from the Hotel is the MRT so in that way the Hotel is centrally located and you easily have many travel options

If there was one thing that really disappointed it was their breakfast buffet. They dont refill their food counters fast enough.The staff generally had a very disinterested look and their food was just about average. After paying almost 250 SGD for a night you would definitely expect a little more!
Other than this, the I did have a very comfortable stay. The front office was very supportive and their service was exceptional.

Overall i would recommend the Hotel.Is it VFM? Its almost there. Just a few minor tweaks here and there and i would have given it a 5

Room Tip: Top Floor rooms usually have a good view of the city
2  Thank Ganesh N

Dear Ganesh N,

Thank you for your kind review on your recent stay with us. We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed the hospitality and comfort as well as the convenience through our prime location to meet your travel needs.

On the other hand, please allow us to foremost extend our sincere apologies for the disappointment you felt over the breakfast. We have raised your comments to the attention of the Management and our F&B operator at Pappasan.

Once again, thank you for your feedback which will help to constantly keep our standards in check as we work harder to deliver a better experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to Dorsett Singapore in the near future.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Stayed 2 nights on 9 &10 may 2014 for business & leisure. Nice pool & clean room. Location are excellent to everywhere & best of all, within walking distance to my office & great foods @chinatown & nearby dining. Will definately stay again whenever i attend my monthly meetings in singapore.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Fay Meng O

Dear Fay Meng O,

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Staff are so friendly. Location is perfect its just by the outram mrt. Short walk to Chinatown. Rooms are very small. Cleaning isnt that great by housekeeping but in general the lobby and hotel is clean. Food and resturant is good but mostly for Asian.
If you are going there for business then this is tour hotel. If yiu are going Singapore for fun and you have limited budget where you cant afford 5 stars, then again this is your hotel

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Jasem S
dorsettsingapore, Public Relations Manager at Dorsett Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Jasem S,

Greetings from Dorsett Singapore!

We apologise for the disappointment you felt over the housekeeping matters and we truly appreciate your patience with us. Please rest assured that we have taken steps necessary to improve our service.