“Awesome day”

Singapore Super Saver: Night Safari and River Safari
Ranked #61 of 846 things to do in Singapore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: River Safari is Asia's first and only river-themed wildlife park inspired by the world's most iconic rivers. Witness some of the biggest, most endangered animals from these rivers, in lofty tanks and luscious walk-through exhibits! A must-see are giant pandas Kai Kai and Jia Jia in Southeast Asia's largest giant panda exhibit. Plus the world's largest freshwater aquarium themed after the Flooded Amazon Forest! The River is Calling...
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Great day at river safari. The theming is great, the exhibits are plenty, and best of all it's mostly sheltered. We recommend starting the tour from the left side once you pass the turnstiles. This will bring you to the smaller aquariums first, then the pandas which are one of the highlights (strangely), followed by the ten minutes boat ride then finally to the BIG aquarium. This way you get to do the real highlight of the river safari (big aquarium) last, which gives a very good conclusion and climatic ending to the trip. To get the boat ride, you have to be at the purchase counter real early, something like 830am should be a good gauge. The ride is disappointing as it shows you land animals and is really short ride. Lunch is expensive at the restaurant near the boat ride, which is at the far end of the water safari.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,019)

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We are great fans of the Singapore zoo and take our 4yr old boys to the zoo at least once a month. So this year, when we were renewing our zoo pass, we also decided to take the River Safari Pass for a year even though we had never been to it.

Which was a big mistake as our first experience was pretty disappointing. It is probably okay for a one time visit but it is definitely not a place you will come back to again and again, unlike the Singapore zoo.

The queue for the boat ride is just too long. We stood in the queue at 11 and were told our turn would come only around 2.30. So unless you intend to spend the whole day at the zoo, it is best to avoid the boat ride. We decided to not take the boat ride and just walked around.

We went on Friday morning to avoid the weekend crowds and it was still really crowded. One of the reasons for this is the initial part of the route is designed such that it becomes very congested with small aquariums around. But as you go inside it opens up into larger spaces and is no longer congested or crowded.

Also it is mainly an aquarium - there are very few animals around - a few beavers, otters, the pandas and monkeys. The River Safari mainly exhibits fresh water fish and even though some of the fish are really interesting, if you have small children and have taken them to Sea Life Aquarium, then they don't find this as exciting when compared to the sharks, dolphins etc..

Having said that, the panda exhibits are quite nice and so is the walk through the squirrel monkey area. My kids really loved that and also the giant tank with the manatees. I wish some of this came first instead of being at the very end of the route.

On the whole, I'd say do not expect this to be like the zoo where you can take your kids every month and not be bored as there is so much to do - from water play area to shows to different animals to see. This in my opinion is good for a one time visit; and even with the yearly pass, I don't think we will be going back to this any time soon.

1  Thank Moushumi_24
Reviewed March 20, 2014

The queue to buy boat ride is long and absolutely not worth it. The boat ride is nothing more than a 10 min resting time. Just a few animal and birds along the way and does not live up to the hype and time spent to get the ticket. Food quality is bad and expensive. The route design is one way and that added more frustration to visitor who need to go back to the boat ride after completing the park tour. See more concrete and glass than "feel the wild" as overwhelmingly claimed in poster and web. River Safari is overselling what it is delivering.

6  Thank Tohlovestravel
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Had a great morning at River Safari. Unfortunately I was there on the one day where the boat was closed due to maintenance but you can still see 85% of the displays. I had a great morning. The displays are great and very informative. And of course the Pandas are just beautiful.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Curious about Amazon River Quest boat ride, I decided to took my mom to visit River Safari. I thought it will be more relax coz of the boat ride. Well, my thought was wrong.

River Safari is next to Singapore Zoo & Night Safari. Its not to difficult to reach. You can used MRT to Ang Mo Kio and continued with bus 138. Or choose direct bus which is SAEx Bus. Luckily, I stay at Beach Road so I can wait the bus at Shaw Tower at 9.08. Only cost SGD5, the bus directly took us to River Safari.

Booked the ticket from Anaya Tour (4 dolar cheaper then the counter/ticket), we have to walk to the front gate. Again, the ticket include a boat ride so I don't need to buy boat tickets.

Unfortunately, we have to walk through the complex before entering the Amazon River boat ride. My mom aint complain about it, cause all the different freshwater fish. The good things are the complex are also and clean, though in some area we can smell bad urine.

The boat ride at Amazing River only took 10 minutes. My schedule are 11.30, but until 12.00 we are still cant get into the boat. They said they have a technical issue and the women in the ticket line gave us a voucher worth SGD5 as compliment. Luckily I makesure again to the front gate, which they told to customer to comeback at 13.00.

The man help us out to check either we can comeback to queue the boat ride and returned the compliment voucher. Another lucky was, instantly the techical problem was solved and they ask us to come into the boat. How lucky we are, even it only 10 minutes ride.

Overall, River Safari is worthed to visit especially if you love freshwater fish from around the world. There are also two big panda, who fell asleep when we visit and cute red panda with big and long tail. If you are hungry after touring, no worry there are food corner outside near Singapore Zoo Gate, but its quite crowded by lunch time. In fact I finished River Safari Journey less than 3 hours.

Personally, I definitely comeback to enjoy more time at Amazon Flooded Forest, which it claim as a world largest freshwater aquarium.

2  Thank SimplyVeva