“Brilliant, If not better than the zoo!!!”
Review of River Safari

River Safari Experience in Singapore
Ranked #93 of 879 things to do in Singapore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: River Safari is Asia's first and only river-themed wildlife park inspired by the world's most iconic rivers. Witness some of the biggest, most endangered animals from these rivers, in lofty tanks and luscious walk-through exhibits! A must-see are giant pandas Kai Kai and Jia Jia in Southeast Asia's largest giant panda exhibit. Plus the world's largest freshwater aquarium themed after the Flooded Amazon Forest! The River is Calling...
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We loved this place, located next door to the zoo. We visited before we went in the zoo. It's immaculate, well designed. Even though the boat ride wasn't open yet, it didn't detract anything from our visit. It's mostly under covered walkways, so nice and shaded. The animals on show were great to see, especially the panda exhibit. Nothing like Edinburgh's terrible exhibit! It takes about two/three hours to walk around. We would definitley visit again!

1  Thank Southson
Write a ReviewReviews (2,283)
All reviews
in 22 reviews
"aquarium"
in 267 reviews

Reviewed August 21, 2013

It was entirely reasonable to have high expectations of River Safari. After all, Singapore has had a reputable world-class zoo for a long long time. To have opened the place when only half the place is ready is surprising. I really can't recall a tourist attraction in Singapore that was open when half of it was not done up.
Yes, it is located at a river but a safari experience it is not.
Instead you will see tanks and tanks of fish. Actually when I was looking at the manatee theatre-like tank, I can be forgiven when for a while I thought I was at the S.E.A aquarium of Sentosa.
There is something in the design of the place that I just find disappointing- it is just boring and not exciting, despite the tremendous potential the location offers, being located at a nature reserve area. Considering Singapore always gets the best brains to do things, this attraction can be a letdown especially for discerning visitors. Seriously, even the souvenir store within the park wasn't inspiring, to say the least.
So, expect to see a good exhibit of cute Kai Kai and Jia Jia and you won't be disappointed (come in the morning coz they are active in the morning) but the panda enclosure is not as big as I had expected. I can imagine mayhem if you come during the holidays and cannot have a proper look.
Seriously, we were out of the place in one hour.
If you are thinking of taking your overseas friends to River Safari, you might have to apologise for the less-than-satisfactory experience, so think twice especially if they have seen pandas before. They will have a better experience at the main zoo or even the Night Safari.
Tip 1 : Arrive by 8.50am at least coz there is a queue to buy ticket
Tip 2 : Bring your own food because the food outlets within the park are not quite ready

1  Thank mordecai12
Reviewed August 20, 2013

A present or was there to introduce some rare animal, fishes around 3pm, along the animal watching, it's only a warm wind blowing, we were all sweating like sitting in a sauna room until we got to watch panda, in air cond room, many refuse to move around as it's too warm, young children got pinkish cheeck, and adult seem to look very tiring.

Got to enjoy panda bun in the restaurant next to panda show, along the walk way before reaching panda showroom, I don't see a drink vending machine along.

No river boat and animal along to show that how we gotnamdiscounted ticket price

1  Thank ChooChoo46
Reviewed August 19, 2013

While the park is not fully completed yet (the Amazon River ride is still not open), the reduced entry fee (25$ instead of 35$) seems worthit for the Pandas. Go early in the morning, and you can (like us) spend hours watching these fascinating creatures eat, and pace around. What we did was skip everything,and head for the Panda Enclosure once we got in, then back track to take in the rest of the park. The rest of the part of also quite well done - it's also mostly shaded, so you are out of the elements if it rains. The Panda themed restaurant is expensive, but worth the visit for the Panda Pau - food was decent as well. The Panda exhibit was considerably better thought out than the San Diego Zoo equivalent, and larger. It's also fully climate controlled, which in Singapore is a godsend :) Woth a visit if you are a Panda fan, and want to see them up close and in action.

1  Thank Jerry K
See more reviews
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I visited River Safari on a Singapore public holiday with my 3 year old son. This was my first visit after purchasing an annual pass. As I am local and will visit it again, I just want to look over at the various attractions.

One of my first advice to visitors is to go very early in the morning if it is a long weekend due to a Singapore holiday. The car park was full at around 11:30am. And there were long traffic jams all the way from the attractions to Mandai Road (about 1km away) as the incoming cars cannot get to a car park. the taxis and buses are also trapped in the same jam.

Since we were there at around 11am, we are able to take one of the last parking lots. There were very long lines at the ticket counters. Luckily, we have an annual pass and breeze right in through the gates.

One of my observations is that there is a lot of 'water' related attractions, seems to compete with the Sentosa underwater world? Also, I noticed that the area is almost completely covered. As such, visits there are not vulnerable to bad whether. There was a bridge over a body of water. I really like that walk, felt so immersed in nature and it was also cooling as there is shelter from the sun and a light breeze.

The star attraction is the Giant Panda. This attraction is air-conditioned and was in a very good temperature. There was also an enclosure with two/three red pandas (they look like raccoons but red in color). I noticed that these red pandas seems so healthy and clean. They were also very active and was running all over and climbing the trees and branches. There was a branch overlooking the pathway for visitors. As such, you can actually look up and see the red panda walking above you. I thought it was pretty neat.

After the red Panda, we saw the two Giant Panda. There were quite a few visitors and I guess the visitors have to take turns. One of them Jia Jia, was pretty lethargic when I was there and there were fewer visitors.

The other Panda Kai Kai was very active and was walking around his enclosure. There was a small pool of water and we saw Kai Kai 'taking a bath'. Everyone went "ooohhhh" when Kai Kai shaked off the water (like a dog).

I like the fact that the people who designed the enclosure eliminate the need for any visible boundaries between panda and visitors. There was no metal bars or glass panels. The Pandas felt very close and the visit was very intimate. I felt almost as if I am paying them a visit rather than looking at a display.

I left right after this. I will come back again to look at the displays in more detail and to pay the Pandas another visit.