“Unbiased review on Amaris Hotel Singapore” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amaris Hotel

Amaris Hotel
Ranked #16 of 77 Singapore B&B and Inns
Kuching, Malaysia
“Unbiased review on Amaris Hotel Singapore”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

When I first booked this hotel online, I saw that it was Amaris and I thought that this must be the similar chain as the 4 star Amaris Hotel in Bangkok but a lower priced hotel. Then I found out that this was under an Indonesian hotel chain.

Here are my thoughts on the hotel:
1) Superb location.
Even for someone who doesnt like to walk too far, this hotel is very close to Bugis Junction. Behind the hotel, a lane away is Purvis Street where you can find superb food from french fine dining to cafe style Hainanese Chicken rice shop (Chin Chin Restaurant) that has been around for over 15 years.

2) Reception
The girls maning the counter know their job well and we had no problem in checking in / out. It was pretty efficient in a way.

3) Room
If you have booked to stay in this hotel, you would already expect the room to be small. So then you shouldnt complaint that the rooms are too small etc. Singapore property prices are expensive and you pay what you get. We had no complaint about the room, except for the wash basin which was outside the bathroom, directly facing the entrance door when we opened the door. It was an odd design. What was the architect thinking when he had it designed it this way?

4) Room Service
Staff thus far was friendly. We didnt realise that our electronic "Do Not Disturb" sign button mounted on the wall was on and our room was not cleared when we returned ( there is no paper sign that you hang on door knob so do take note of this). The cleaning service maid had already left for the day and the receptionist to make up for it, provided us with 2 bottles of free mineral water and 2 clean towels. Fair enough!

5) Breakfasts
Seriously, you cant expect a big array of breakfasts for a small hotel as this . We helped ourselves to the bread, jams, butter, corn flakes, and even instant noodle cups. This is the first time we saw instant noodle cups being served but this is good.

6) Room card key
Do not lose it else you will risk paying SGD50 per room card key.

Overall, we had a great experience staying here as we can just walk to the shopping area, and many restaurants were located just behind the hotel, or even across the street, or same row as the hotel, you can find some Karaoke or small Thai Modern cafe ( Cafe Pal) that serves great tea. I would definitely stay here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: if you book like a month or so before travelling, it would be good to email the hotel to check that...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank BorneoKid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

We only stayed a night here but this is a decent budget hotel if you don't mind to sleep in the tiny room, the tiniest hotel room that I've ever slept in. It's clean, though, and the bed was comfortable for those who are under 1.8 m tall.

However, its location is good at the heart of Bugis area. About 10 minutes walk from Bugis MRT station and Bugis Junction. There are also lots of dining places nearby. Perfect hotel for traveler who only wants to sleep after traveling around Singapore.

Our only problem was sound from, maybe, a broken fire alarm late at night. After about an hour they managed to fix that.

Breakfast is included but you probably would want to eat somewhere else unless you're a big fan of instant noodle.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Sandy P
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

I've spent three separate nights at this hotel in the last 6 months so I think I can make a fair review. This hotel is really suited for a single business traveler, on a budget, who only need a clean bed to crash for the night and nothing else. If you're planing to stay for more than a couple of nights or traveling with a companion, or worse, with family members, I would highly recommend that you to stay at other hotel.

For a property that is located about 3 - 4 blocks from Bugis Junction and Raffles City, this hotel is reasonably priced (I paid about SGD120 - SGD150 / night). HOWEVER, that's the only positive I can think of this hotel.

The negatives: first of all, the room is VERY SMALL (<10 SQ m), it is barely enough to fit the full size bed and a chair. I'm 5'10' and I don't think I can stay or sleep in that room with another person in it. The room reminds me a college dorm room. Second of all, the word free "in" free breakfast and free wireless internet means "awful and I'm glad I'm not paying for these services". The breakfast bar consist of: cereals, tea, cakes and pseudo juice (I call it pseudo because this is what we used to call in the states "orange drink", "red drink", etc.). The wireless connection is weak. Thirdly, if you want anything from the front desk, they will want you to pay for it (e.g., $5 for extra towel, etc.). Lastly, I've stayed in many Santika Hotel & Resort properties in Indonesia, in this one has, by far, the WORST front desk team. They are completely clueless and lack of the charm and pleasant manner which I accustomed to in other Santika hotels. I watched a male staff who keeps sitting down on his chair the whole time he was talking rudely to a customer (who btw is not Caucasian). There is a reason why hotel usually don't allow chair behind the front desk. I think Santika HQ office need to scrape the entire front desk team and start fresh. Maybe get some of the Indonesian front desk team in Jakarta to show these incompetent Singaporean staffs how it should be done.

Room Tip: Rooms are very small (about <10 sq m) with a full size bed. If you are 6'0" and taller o...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank BangKoja

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed here for a week whilst on business. The location is central and ideal. The rooms are clean, basic but the smallest i have ever seen. The staff are not friendly, uninterested and not helpful. The wifi signal was very weak, when i notified the staff, they said there working on it. This is the common answer. The breakfast is poor, cereal, toast, and tea. Its served between 7-10, however when i arrived at 9.45 they had taken it all away, i asked why, they shrugged there shoulders, moaned about me and didn't offer me a cup of tea or toast, something just simple.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Metro Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 days. From Changi airport, we took the bus transport service which cost us only SGD 9/pax and you just have to tell them to drop you to Amaris Bugis hotel, and the bus did! right at their doorstep! How convenient & cost saving is that! Amaris is located near Suntec City, the Bugis st., a church, the MRT station which allowed us to visit other places like Chinatown, Harbour front, Commonwealth... The breakfast however is nothing fancy just coffee, juice, some bread & cookies with butter & jam. Rooms as we were expecting was just a small one, enough for 2 luggage and a queen size bed to rest after long walks & sightseeing.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Beth G
Denpasar, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Recently me and my friends went for a weekend holiday in Singapore.
We chose Amaris hotel because this hotel manage by the well known Santika Group.
Unfortunately our expectation is way too much. The moment we arrived at the hotel we are not impressed by the staff. No courtesy, bad grooming, etc. when we checked in into our room, I found some used tissue behind the toilet bowl, and an empty soap dispenser. The house keeping has done a terrible job, they did not clean the room thoroughly, the tissue behind the toilet bowl is still there, the soap dispenser is still empty, the cup and tea spoon is still in the place and dirty.
On our check out date, at 10 am the housekeeping knocked on our door and asking without any manner, what time we are going to check out ( It's 10 am, check out time is at 12 noon).

I guess this is our first and very last time staying in this hotel, I had a better experience staying in Fragrance hotel or Value hotel.
The only good thing about this hotel is the location. nothing more.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank BaliAddict741
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

When I arrived at the room , there was a used teacup ( used for water ) and a used water glass, the rubbish bin had not been emptied and there were some used tissues and visiting cards on the table. Bed had been made and clean towels provided ,but floor had a few small pieces of paper so I supect it had not been swept . Itold the check in when I checked out . Room safe is not screwed down so you could pack it in your suitcase and take it home if you forget the combination !!! Room is very small ,I was one person,but it is not really a 2 person room. There is tea and coffee in room and in lobby . Good TV and wifi .Breakfast is poor ,toast cereal and coffee/tea only . I paid USD120 per night ,I believe there are better value hotels around Singapore . no fitness or pool or business centre .Not worth the price.

Room Tip: Double glazed so no traffic noise in rooms facing road
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business