“Great food and awesome service!!!”

Hakumai Sushi and Omakase
Ranked #564 of 10,692 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Hakumai Sushi & Omakase was established with a focus on offering premium quality Japanese cuisine at value prices. Located in the heart of the CBD (Tanjong Pagar) with a traditional Japanese eatery setting, our all-day bento sets - known for the generous servings of fresh ingredients - have consistently proved to be a winner among diners. For adventurous guests, we highly recommend them to do omakase where the chefs are left to design a menu comprising a series of delights that is bound to excite their fine palates.
Thailand
“Great food and awesome service!!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I went with my sis to try out the Omakase. Chef Gary's arrangement on the food was awesome. We were very well serve by the staff. Do call in and let them know your budget for Omakase as this is what I did and the food the provided is really delicious. Just come and try and you will know the difference.

Singapore, Singapore
“My mum was raving about the sushi and impeccable service from Chef Gary and his team ”
Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

I brought my mum for an Omakase lunch to celebrate her birthday. She was particularly impressed by how Chef Gary and his team presented all the dishes and quality of fresh ingredients. She cannot stop praising about how delicious the sushi were even after we left. Gary-san knew it is her birthday and gotten his staff to have a candle on her dessert.

I lost count to how many times I was there. However, I never fail to leave with satisfaction and look forward to my next visit. Be sure to go there with an empty stomach and pamper yourself with the Omakase meal that will fill you up to the maximum. I guarantee you won't disappoint.

Singapore
“Exciting meal by chef Gary and his assistants”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

If you are looking for an exciting meal with squid roe, ice leaves, Yuzu Icecream, seared sushi, truffle roe angle hair served with no pretense, go to Hakumai. Chef Gary will not disappoint.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank junoesque24
Singapore, Singapore
“Fine dining with ah beng chef”
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Hakumai is my monthly regular hang-out with my friends. Despite coming so often, chef Gary never fails to come up with something new.

Sashimi is always fresh and botan foie gras sushi is something I always look forward to. Service is always good and you always feel homely & well taken care in this small little outlet. A must visit!!

Singapore, Singapore
“Omakase (cooked and raw) for everyone”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Spore family entertainment mag, 8 Days, featured Hakumai in July 2013. I mentioned it to a foodie who knows Chef Gary on the 1st name basis. We went on 10 Oct 2013. What a treat.

I've since been there 4 times in 3 months. The menu changes regularly. The assorted sashimi is packed generously and always very fresh. Chef Gary gets his delivery straight from Tsukiji every Tuesdays and Fridays. Check out the house specials: botan ebi foie gras, otoro sushi, truffled angel hair, seafood truffle chawamushi.

For my friend who's not fond of raw food the cooked food variety was really impressive. Gary pays attention on every aspect, food variety & freshness is a given, presentation, service. The whole experience is top grade.

On my 3rd visit there, I had ala carte, Chirashi don. So generous was the portion, my client was impressed. I informed Gary of my intention to have a private meal (difficult in a small crowded restaurant) but the service by the staff was impeccable. I closed my deal that day.

My 4th visit was with a couple from out of town. They are balled over. One of their tummies wasn't feeling that great so the flow of cooked food was most appreciated. The way Gary pays attention to the personal taste is most heartening.

The journey to get to Hakumai cannot be easier. Take the MRT to Tanjong Pagar station. As you step off the train, look for the only elevator on the platform. Do NOT take the escalator. As the lift door opens on the ground level, you will be facing International Plaza. Walk 15m towards IP, and enter through the glass door on your left. Hakumai is the 1st sign to greet you. And so is Gary behind the counter.

Gary isn't Japanese and he doesn't speak the most fluent English. If you can look beyond that, and focus on his passion for his craft, you will fall in love with Hakumai. His wait staff isn't the best troop, they speak English and Mandarin but they are attentive (not hovering) and polite. Honestly compare to the wait staff in Japan who doesn't speak much English, what's there not to like about the wait staff here.

I've eaten at Kyubei, Ginza and the various overrated sushi kiosk in Tsukiji, I find the best food and experience is still at Hakumai.

I'm going back for my 5th visit in 2 weeks time (Apr 2014) with my bunch of foodie friends for my birthday treat. Can't wait.

I don't really know how much is an omakase set, I believe I always exceed the number of servings compared to the regular patrons. I'd say I pay around $140-$160 before tax per pax each visit.

• Visited January 2014